Page 1 of 3
It will have cherry back and sides, sitka spruce top, striped ebony fingerboard, no fingerboard inlays, one piece mahogany neck, body joint at 12th fret, and a slotted headstock. I will start when I get the plans and a few parts from stewmac in a day or two. Here's pics of the wood, I had 4 tops, 3 backs, and 2 sides to choose my favorites out of. Sorry the pics aren't that great.

sides (sap wood will stay and will be on the top side closer to the neck):

back (there is some quilt figure in it finishing should bring it out some more):

soundboard:

Last edited by 420 FREAK at Feb 12, 2009,
A tripple O acoustic, eh? When people look at it, are they going to say "OOO" ?
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
More like "That thing is sex"
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
Oh Yeah and in the last pic you can see a board of flamed maple. I just bought it today for $10 and it's enough for two guitars, after this one I hope to make a classical with it.
good luck with this build, sorry to hear about your other acoustic build
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Mmmm....spruce/cherry. Very unique. You don't see the big manufacturers using cherry back/sides very often. Usually it's used as a laminate in cheaper guitars. Nice to see some solid cherry for once.

It's a shame what happened to your last build, but I'm sure this one will turn out just fine. And hey, if things go well and you get some nice acoustic builds in, expect a PM from me
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Natrone
Mmmm....spruce/cherry. Very unique. You don't see the big manufacturers using cherry back/sides very often. Usually it's used as a laminate in cheaper guitars. Nice to see some solid cherry for once.

It's a shame what happened to your last build, but I'm sure this one will turn out just fine. And hey, if things go well and you get some nice acoustic builds in, expect a PM from me

The only solid wood acoustics with cherry back and sides I have seen are the martin smartwoods and some members at harmony central mentioned playing some custom guitars built with it. Seems to be a very underated tonewood.

Yeah, the good thing is that now I know exactly what I'm doing. I was going to start over but figured that a triple o should come before I do a dreadnought anyway since I have an Augustino LoPrinzi.
Saturday I glued up the soundboard. Today I glued up the back (same way as front), bent the sides, and inlayed the rosette.

Gluing up the soundboard:

Waiting for pipe to heat up:

Side bent and clamped in mold:

Routing for rosette:

Gluing in rosette:

nice. I love cherry, its insanely underrated....
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
All I've done in the past two days is rough cut the braces and sand a curve into them. Toady I got a lot done. I unclamped the sides from the mold, trimmed off the overhang, got them fitting right in the mold, sanded the back, glued all the braces on to the back, made head and tail blocks, and made all the kerfed lining. Tomorrow I will glue the head and tail block to the sides, shape the back braces and start gluing the soundboard ones.

Back cut out:

Gluing on first brace:

Cutting the kerfed lining:

Kerfed lining done:

Cutting slots for the other braces after shaping the first one:

Rest of the bracing glued on:

Sides in mold:

Very nice, I have a few questions though:
1: How do you bend the sides?
2: When you clamp the sides in the mold, do you use that steam bar thing to make the wood stay that shape?
3: Whats the difference between using the jig to glue the bracing on and just using clamps?
Quote by 420 FREAK
The only solid wood acoustics with cherry back and sides I have seen are the martin smartwoods and some members at harmony central mentioned playing some custom guitars built with it. Seems to be a very underated tonewood.

My Seagull has solid cherry back and sides, and a cedar top... It's sweet as heck.
Quote by guitarcam123
Very nice, I have a few questions though:
1: How do you bend the sides?
2: When you clamp the sides in the mold, do you use that steam bar thing to make the wood stay that shape?
3: Whats the difference between using the jig to glue the bracing on and just using clamps?

I wet the wood and use the heated pipe to bend them producing steam. Steam makes wood easy to bend so bending it over the pipe is pretty easy. When it fits reasonably close to the mold I clamp it so there are no gaps and leave it for a day.

The jig allows me to do a lot more clamping at a time and a lot easier, it also helps because both the top and the back are curved with a dish routed to the same curve under it this isn't a problem anymore. Using clamps I'd be lucky to get two on at a time a little bit more of a problem for the soundboard.
Soundboard:

Lines drawn for braces:

Braces being glued on:

Laying out neck:

Gluing on head and tail blocks and kerfed lining:

nice job so far can't wait to see it.
It's nice to see what people can come up with and what people build. I just love it!
dude. I love this. Please continue. And I love the cherry thing btw. I am partial to it myself
yes defiantely love the cherry. Check out my checkerboard guitar project. It is a mix of walnut and cherry looks pretty good!
Cherry.....

Lol, anyways, glad to see some more progress on this!
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Natrone
Cherry.....

Lol, anyways, glad to see some more progress on this!

Ahh cherry... I love it too. It just has its own look. Its little bits of pink and reds. I Love it so much. And the end grain is amazing! More than that even!
Gluing braces:

Neck rough cut:

Gluing the rest of the braces and bridge plate on:

Gluing the kerfed lining after shaping the sides:

Looking great

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Looks amazing. How much did this cost to make so far, btw?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
Looks amazing. How much did this cost to make so far, btw?

I'm not sure I spent $80 for the plans purfling and tuners. I already had the bridge, fingerboard, bridge pins, strap buttons, and fretwire from the last build I stopped and I haven't paid for the wood yet.
Yesterday i shaped the braces on the top and back, today I cut the top races back for the lining, mortised the binding, and glued the top on. I routed the truss rod slot, thicknessed the back of the headstock, and glued on the veneers.

Shaping back braces:

Done:

Soundboard braces done:

Gluing soundboard on:

Thicknessing headstock:

Gluing on headstock veneers:

Looks awesome

Quote by dogismycopilot

Quote by lumberjack

Quote by littlemurph7976
I had to make a new back, I tried gluing it the same way as the soundboard but it didn't work to good so I made a new one and tried using the go bars and it worked great. I made a jig to rout the binding and purfling channels, routed them, routed out the mortise for the neck, made the end piece, chiseled out a spot for it, and glued in the binding, purfling, and end piece.

neck:

gluing on back:

drilling tuner holes:

jig for routing binding and purfling:

binding and purfling channels routed:

slot for end piece:

getting ready to start binding:

all done:

Last edited by 420 FREAK at Mar 2, 2009,
good job dave man. i definately like where this is going. keep up the awesome amount of progress pics too!
Awesome!

Quote by dogismycopilot

Quote by lumberjack

Quote by littlemurph7976
Are you a regular at Sawmill Creek by any chance?
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
Getting the neck set wasn't very easy but it's done, I shaped the neck, and I glued it on today. Should be able to start finishing this weekend.

Page 1 of 3