So I managed to get in my school's Show Choir as the rhythm guitarist, but only under the provision that I learn how to sight read by the time it starts (beginning of school next year, I believe). So i'm kind of stumped where to start. I know all (or at least most) of what I will be playing is chords, so should I just write down all the major, minor, and 7th chords and memorize them? Is there a different way I can do it?
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Schecter C-7 (old 90s style headstock)
Handbuilt 6-string V
Handbuilt Baritone scale 6 string Iceman-copy
Pod HD300
if its mostly chords try to learn how to do some smooth voice leading using inversions, and for sight reading but some type of book with it Like fender shredder9 said berklee or hal leonard or mel bay has them. practice your ass off.
It's just really simple chords XD. Like, I heart we play Witch Doctor and some High School Musical. So like, really, REALLY simple stuff. I just need to be able to recognize a chord by it's notes, pretty much.
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Handbuilt 6-string V
Pod HD300
you'll probably have to be fluent with additions and changes to the chords.
as in E maj 7 add13 for example.
some jazz lessons would be a practical thing to do here.

edit:
i haven't put much effort into note reading either, but now that i think about it, just make sure you become fluent in identifying the roots of chords. then you can figure out maj/min easier.
Warmoth Strat w/ Lace Holy Grails
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Washburn WD-21 all Koa Acoustic
Marshall JCM-2000 TSL-122
Bugera V-5
Last edited by Rogue Hermit at Feb 12, 2009,
I did sign up for lessons with a good teacher last night, so i'm going to see if I can focus on learning how to sight read chords a such.
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Handbuilt 6-string V
Pod HD300
I learned to site read in about a month, so it shouldn't take you that long if you've had prior band experience. I play the clarinet. If you have a book to tell you what notes are what frets/strings ect, it shouldn't be that hard. The hardest thing might be sharps and flats, those suck hard.
What i started doing today is taking every chord from the C major scale, and writing out the Root, 3(b)rd, 5th, and 7th, plus drawing out each note's major, minor, and 7th chord.
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Handbuilt 6-string V
Pod HD300
Quote by Nick_
Sight read every day. That's the most important thing.

this guy could not be more right.
www.musictheory.net has a fantastic note trainer. If you are really serious about this, do 100 before school or work, 100 when you get home from whatever you do with your time, and 100 before bed. I did this for maybe a month and I can now sight read.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Wow. I love that site. Thanks Sophist, that's a HUGE help.
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Handbuilt 6-string V
Pod HD300
Quote by Nick_
Sight read every day. That's the most important thing.

Yup.

Also, you need to practice reading ahead. Be looking ahead at least one bar from what you're actually playing.
i have trouble sight reading, im startin to get the hang of it but its still a pain

but with just chords then i'd imagine it would be fine :s
Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery.

But today is a gift, that is why it is called the present.