Page 1 of 4
Hey, finally getting around to it.

I think I want an alder body, curly maple top, then a trans green finish. Black hardware.
I'm going to take my time on this, so posts may be few and far between, but all help will be appreciated.

So, I intend buying the neck. Seeing as it's my first build, I'm gonna try keep it fairly simple; just building the body for now.

Would it be too rip-offish to use a Jackson neck? What if I sanded the logo off and re-finished?

What about the rest of the hardware? Jackson?

Thanks for help guys.

Louis.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm going to keep this section for reference links I might need later, and that anyone with a similar build may find useful.----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of the Bugera Users Militia

Quote by JagerSlushy
Go with Ibanez...Or if you're going high-end, get a Jackson.
Last edited by superslash1994 at Sep 22, 2009,
I think it'd be more rip-off-ish to sand off the logo and re-finish it

you can use a jackson neck if you like, but it'd just be a lot easier for people to mistake it as a jackson kelly, and not a custom one you built. I'd go for it if you can find a cheap-ish one on ebay or something

for the hardware, go to somewhere like allparts.com
buying replacement parts from companies is usually a lot more expensive than from somewhere that just sells for building/customization
Right, thanks dude.

I'm gonna check out my local music store, they have a dinky with black hardware, minus the neck and pups in their back room. Greg the owner said he's getting around to fixing it up, I'm gonna see if he'll sell me the hardware. (including Jackson LFR)

I'll speak to him tomorow; leaving for school in 5...

Quote by JagerSlushy
Well, I've seen a Jackson neck from a DK2 Dinky, MIJ, MOP sharktooth inlays.
I'm not posting a link but:

Used Jackson DK2 neck for sale! - It is a right handed, 24 fret, 25.5" scale maple neck. - Bound rosewood fretboard with MOP shark inlays - features the famous Jackson 12"-16" compound radius - Made in Japan - A licensed Floyd nut is included.

This beautiful neck is in a very good condition and has been properly maintained and oiled throughout its life. It does not have any cracks or dings whatsoever, except for a little tiny ding that is barely visible, on the point of the headstock. The back of the neck feels very smooth, almost brand new. The profile is thin and features the compound radius, which enables easier chording and faster lead playing up the neck. The truss rod is in perfect working condition and the neck is straight.

Due to fret wear from normal use, it is recommended that the frets are leveled and\or crowned. Also there are grooves on the locking nut from regular use. However, with a little treatment this neck will blow your mind. Overall, this is a fantastic neck to use on your project guitar and I hope you will enjoy it.

The pics are nice, the ding on the headstock is nothing.

Bidding is at $47 usd right now, plus $40 shipping to UK = around £60 GBP
Does this sound like a good deal?

Quote by JagerSlushy
Yay me!

2 days left on the bidding though. Fingers crossed.

Quote by JagerSlushy
I shall watch this thread. I'm a huge fan of Kellys.
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
yeah, the DK2 necks are very sexy to play with

as for the selling you the hardware including the jackson LFR i say take the rest but leave the FR. instead get onto a gotoh floyd rose. otherwise this is sounding pretty sick man
Ok, been out all day, spoke to Greg. He can't sell me anyhing on that dinky.
Say's he's doing it up.. it's been there a year. Ah well.

I'm gonna try get the neck first, then I'll make the body template next week.

Quote by JagerSlushy
Damn. Lost the bidding in the last 5 seconds..

Quote by JagerSlushy
Hey guys!Any chance of gettin a copy of the template for the jackson Kelly!Love to try and build one!!!!!!!!
Hey, I'm just sorting out the scaling, and then I'll forward you on a copy.

Been talking to my tech teacher, and I might be able to get some Mahogany and Ash for free, and he'll write it off as coursework materials. Depending on how big the timber is, I'll have to layer it, (will edit in a pint drawing in a bit) so obviously Mahogany is heavier right?

So If I had a mahogany core, then ash wings? And thinking about it, if I can get the joints neat, I may just oil it as is; so no trans green. That saves working with... -Varnish-.. *Shudders*

EDIT:

Something like so?

Quote by JagerSlushy
Last edited by superslash1994 at Mar 10, 2009,
Ash is heavier than mahogany.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Ah. Silly me, didn't realise that. What are some lighter woods that'd be strong enough? I'm limited in what I can use because of what the school has.

If I did go ash and mahogany, could I just rout out some pockets, lighten the load so to speak.

Quote by JagerSlushy
I love the look of that so far, but what fretboard are you planning to do?
superman is killing himself tonight
Quote by superslash1994
If I did go ash and mahogany, could I just rout out some pockets, lighten the load so to speak.
Yeah its called chambering.

Quote by dogismycopilot

Quote by lumberjack

Quote by littlemurph7976
Baby Joel: I'm just going to buy a Jackson neck for it when the body's near done. Then I can cut the neck pocket exactly. The fretboard will be either rosewood or ebony; depending on what I can get. Regular Jackson headstock.

Absent Mind: Okay, thanks.

Quote by JagerSlushy
So maybe something like this if mahogany is lighter, then chambering as well.

EDIT: Sorry, don't know why it's bigger.

Quote by JagerSlushy
dont chanber it.. it kills the tone.

i'd try to see if you could pick up a cheap kelly on ebay or something, then you get your neck and all the hardware, then just 'rebay' the body. (just coined that term.)
then you have the origional body to use to template the neck pocket rout and the pickups if you wanted..
if you can get some white ash it should be very light, i dont know of any ash heavier than mahogony. but swamp ash is actually taken from the stuff under the water, its heavier then white ash.

on top of that i'm not sure if mahogony and ash is a good combination of woods, their kind of conflicting, pretty much opposite tones, ash is very shrill and brite and mahogony is warm and dark.. try to do it all one wood, or do mahogany core with either basswood or alder wings..
I've got a template of the body to cut out of acrylic on a laser cutter. And I'll make a neck jig when I get the neck.

I'll ask what kind of ash it is today.

Quote by JagerSlushy
Quote by POWERMETAL!
dont chanber it.. it kills the tone.

i'd try to see if you could pick up a cheap kelly on ebay or something, then you get your neck and all the hardware, then just 'rebay' the body. (just coined that term.)
then you have the origional body to use to template the neck pocket rout and the pickups if you wanted..

not all the time... so i've heard
Well considering f**king loads of LPs are chambered and people seem to like their tone I'm going to say that it wont matter too much.

Quote by dogismycopilot

Quote by lumberjack

Quote by littlemurph7976
Whipped this up in photoshop.

Tech teacher wasn't in school today, cover teacher. I'll ask if he's in tomorow.

Quote by JagerSlushy
i dont know why people dont like chambering (i can understand on a lp though)
gretsch chamberes their "solid" bodies and they sound great but i suppose it's just opinon you either love it or hate it
I've never actually heard a chambered body..

Anyone ever done this? Would I just cover up, like with control cavity covers?

Quote by JagerSlushy
Quote by Absent Mind
Well considering f**king loads of LPs are chambered and people seem to like their tone I'm going to say that it wont matter too much.

lol, 100%. Most people dont even know their LP is chambered.

I had a Custom and put it through the xray machine at work and is had five holes about 2" round taken out the mahogany. Still sounded awesome though.
Well, I finally got a job today.

This'll be funding the bridge and neck. I have some Pups lying around i can use for now. I'm going HH, with coil split, methinks.

Quote by JagerSlushy
Thinking about the bridge now.

I want a locking bridge really, but I want to be able to down-tune.
I love the feel of a FR. It's comfy on the palm.

I could just put a FR on there and lock it, but is there an easier way, i.e. a hardtail FR bridge for example? I know they do a fixed speedloader.

Quote by JagerSlushy
I dont know of any hard tails, but schaller do a fine tuning tail peice to go with a TOM,

Quote by dogismycopilot

Quote by lumberjack

Quote by littlemurph7976
Hmm, I'm not too fond of TOMs. I'm actually looking into a speedloader bridge system. It's going to cost around £200.

Anyone have any experience with them?

And I'm still pondering what to do about the tuner holes in the headstock.. Any suggestions?

EDIT: Actually, Scrap the £200 - that was a regular speedloader. Can't find the fxed bridges anywhere.

Quote by JagerSlushy
Last edited by superslash1994 at Mar 15, 2009,
you could always just go floyd and have it blocked too.

put a chamered LP against a real LP, you'll hear the difference.
MAN!
were'ed you get the template from?
the one in the template thread is only the .DWG version and i cant get it bc dial up.
hows it coming along?
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
Right, well. Finally carrying on/starting with this build. It's being made in tech at school for my coursework, so all wood is paid for, and it's all in school time. Shaweet.

Also, Guitarcam123, I haven't posted the template. I made it.

Posts may be few and far between, but I'll keep updating as I go.

------------------------------------------------------------

The idea is that the template will be sent to a laser-cutter, to be cut out of MDF, to then use with a template router bit. That way I get the shape exact. I'm no good with a bandsaw.

Had a detention today, for 'Uniform Defiance'. So, my tech teacher happened to be one of the teachers on duty, and took me and 2 other lads back to the tech block. He told the assistant principal in charge of the thing that we were going to be cleaning out some rooms. Well, the other two lads were, but I was left in the CAM room to get on with some coursework, i.e. the template.

When the assistant principal came over to check on us, my teacher ran in and told me to busy myself. Haha, I love that man.

So, In this hour of.. cleaning out the room.. I re-designed the template to be compatible with the software on the computer hooked up to the cutter.

A £10,000 piece of machinery, hooked up to a 10 year old Pc.

So, I tested it out on some thick paper, to check the shape, and orientation etc. I accidentally left the power setting on the laser on full, and speed on 1%, the setting for cutting 6mm MDF.

The paper caught fire..

Eventually, I got the MDF in, on the right setting, and added some red lines to be etched for reference. I put a centre line and lines along the edges of where the neck pocket will be. The etched lines were put in red; the laser cutter is hooked up like a printer, so you can set the different 'ink' colours to different settings of power, speed etc.

So, I have the template cut, it just needs some finishing to remove the rough edges.

I promise I'll get pics up as soon as I can get my phone to upload! My bluetooth driver isn't working for some reason..

Quote by JagerSlushy
for the neck, there is a place on eBay that does ready-carved Jackson-style maple necks, minus the fingerboard etc, for about 30-35 delivered... i've got it in my fave stores somewhere, i'll dig it out if you're interested
Page 1 of 4