So, my fellow guitarist has been asking me about guitars lately, he really needs some help finding the perfect guitar for him. And since I'm too busy trying to find myself the money for a new guitar, I though I'd come ask UG's help.

tl;dr: Friend needs guitar. Must follow these requirements:

• Not a Les Paul.
  • Rich, warm tone. Really sweet warm cleans, and raunchy rock OD tones. Hardest it'll have to go would be hard rock, I guess.
  • Mahogany body? I don't think he really cares as long it gets a nice warm tone.
  • He really wants a maple neck with maple fretboard. I told him this might be hard to find in combination with everything else.
  • He super really wants a nitro finish. Dunno why, I think it's because he wants the guitar to age gracefully. Any colour is fine, I think.
  • Must be able to take a bashing. You know what SRV does with his strat on Third Stone from the Sun? It has to handle that.
  • He also would be fine with single-coils, P90's, or humbuckers, as long he got a really nice, full, warm clean tone and still a great OD. Can single-coil's and P90's do really warm?
  • 25.5 scale.
  • Has to play really well, obs.
  • <$1000
  • Doesn't want a shred-looking guitar. No RG shapes, or stuff like that.
  • He is an indie kid, so he'll like less common guitars better, like Jag's and Jazzmasters.

Also: If anyone can find like a Jazzmaster that fit this slightly ridiculous requirements, I'll owe you big time. He really likes those, but he always complains about they never make them with what he wants, the picky bastard...
Wrong Forum.........

Maybe an SG or a MIM Strat with a pickup change.........
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Highway One Strat, and put a humbucker in the bridge, for some sweet versatility.
I'm Joel. I play guitar. I am a student. I look at the cost of tuition, not in a dollar value, but in the guitars I'm sacrificing now, to be able to buy later.
custom build?
Equipment:
PRS SE custom Cherryburst
dean razorback V (green/black) currently on ebay
Digitech Death metal pedal [wanting to sell - £15]
Zoom G1X [wanting to sell - £25]
Line6 UX1 (with metal shop add on)
That criteria oozes Strat.

They do make Strats with mahogany bodies, and they're usually HSS.

Also, the Eric Johnson Strat sounds AMAZING, and handles all types of music well. It has a maple fretboard, and nitro finish.
DEAD. AIR. SPACE.

Fender American Strat/Tele->Vox V847 Wah->EH LPB-1->BK Butler Tube Driver->Big Muff Pi->MXR Carbon Copy->EH Small Clone->Vox AC30/Orange Tiny Terror/Blues Deluxe RI
I heard SG's aren't the toughest guitars.

Modding a Jazz might be a good idea, but...idk.

He can't afford a Gibby ES-335, and it's 24.75 scale. And no maple neck, and he'd probably crack the top.
PRS SE series isn't bad, though for <$1000 he's really making it tough.
-limefan913

Quote by Chad48309
Quote by The_lizard_king
Originally Posted by The_lizard_king
It really does relieve stress. I was pissed off for a week because I didn't jerk off, so if you quit it you will go mad.
I don't think that's the correct use of the phrase "going mad."
Quote by echo_4190
Highway One Strat, and put a humbucker in the bridge, for some sweet versatility.

I like this idea.

But can Strats do really warm cleans and OD? He uses a AC30, AC15, and a collection of vintage Fender amps. I'm afraid that a Strat on top of an already bright amp would just not work.

Quote by limefan913
PRS SE series isn't bad, though for <$1000 he's really making it tough.

I agree, he's making this tough as hell. I own a PRS SE, and although it's great for me, it's not what he's looking for.
Last edited by Mitchell? at Feb 12, 2009,
Whoops, missed the budget.

But out of all honesty, a Strat/Tele fits the majority of that criteria.

Is he going for looks?

EDIT: Yes, Strats and AC-whatevers are absolutely AMAZING! The neck pickup is amazingly warm and the bridge pickup is twangy and awesome.

You cannot go wrong with an HSS Strat and a Vox.

Too trebley? Buy an EQ pedal.
DEAD. AIR. SPACE.

Fender American Strat/Tele->Vox V847 Wah->EH LPB-1->BK Butler Tube Driver->Big Muff Pi->MXR Carbon Copy->EH Small Clone->Vox AC30/Orange Tiny Terror/Blues Deluxe RI
Last edited by djszkoda at Feb 12, 2009,
Quote by djszkoda
Whoops, missed the budget.

But out of all honesty, a Strat/Tele fits the majority of that criteria.

Is he going for looks?

Yeah. He really digs the worn-in look of a nitro-finished guitar. Colour isn't really such a problem, he seems to like all sorts of colours, but he really likes the nitro.

Ahh, the picky bastard will owe me a commission if I find him a guitar.

EDIT:

Well sweet. I actually use a AC15 too, and knowing how bright it is, I was afraid to recommend a Strat.

So:

What does everyone think of telling him to get a Highway One strat? Would that work?
Last edited by Mitchell? at Feb 12, 2009,
Strat/Tele

They're crazily common, but that's for a reason.

Of course, you could always go with a custom build from an amateur luthier. Maybe check out the GB&C guys. They make all kinds of builds with weird specs.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
If it's nitro he wants, get either the Highway One, or if you can ramp up the budget, definitely check out the Eric Johnson Strat. Not being biased anything, but that guitar is purely AMAZING. I own 6 Strats and played tons, this one is definitely one of the best.
DEAD. AIR. SPACE.

Quote by Natrone
Of course, you could always go with a custom build from an amateur luthier. Maybe check out the GB&C guys. They make all kinds of builds with weird specs.

Lulz, I actually did tell him I could find a guitar custom luthier to commission a custom, but I don't think that's what he's looking for right now.

I'm actually trying to scrounge up the cash for one of LP Addict's guitars, but...blech. I'm getting nailed to the wail with bills.
I agree with the people that said strat/tele. They are extremely common, but they are worth it. They have a nice clean tone, and a nice distorted tone, they are just a little bit twangy though.
Yes, you can make a warm tone come from a Strat, I almost always play on the neck/middle position. Listen to Lenny, that's the tone it gives. As for being bright, I use a strat with a Fender amp. I just roll the Treble back to four or five, and it makes it sound even warmer.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Quote by mcrfobtai
I have a Pro Junior.
Almost the same thing. Sort of.

But I do love BJ's. Great amps.
Everyone likes BJ's.

EVERYONE!!!!
You know what they say, you can pick your friends, you can pick your guitars, but you can't pick your friends guitars.

Okay, I just made that up from the pick your nose thing, but still.

That's a reaaally tall order, but I also have to say a good bet would be a HSS Strat of some sort would fulfill the requirements. If his budget were higher it'd make it so much easier.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by Mitchell?
Yeah. He really digs the worn-in look of a nitro-finished guitar. Colour isn't really such a problem, he seems to like all sorts of colours, but he really likes the nitro.

Ahh, the picky bastard will owe me a commission if I find him a guitar.

EDIT:

Well sweet. I actually use a AC15 too, and knowing how bright it is, I was afraid to recommend a Strat.

So:

What does everyone think of telling him to get a Highway One strat? Would that work?

Seems right to me, I mean, because (if this is american we're talking about) it would be safely enough in his price range to even switch the bridge single to a different pickup. The only thing it doesn't get him is the mahogany. Its got the finish, the maple neck, strats in pos. 4 (thats the neck and middle one right? or maybe its 2) are super warm, the neck is usually pretty warm too, or in my experience. Its certainly got the cleans, and with a humbucker in bridge (which is the sharp trebly pickup on a strat) he could get his drive tones too. And if its a little sharp you can always roll off a little treble. They feel good though, and they look great.

That's just my suggestion though, I'm sure there's others that would work well too.
I'm Joel. I play guitar. I am a student. I look at the cost of tuition, not in a dollar value, but in the guitars I'm sacrificing now, to be able to buy later.