Well, I got bored the other day and decided to try and hook all 3 of my combo amps together...to make my own home-made "half-stack" of sorts.

After toying with all three of them, I hooked them all up successfully to my guitar, and after toying with it a bit longer, I got them all sounding the way I want'em to.

But I can't help but think: Is this harmful to my amps? Does it affect their output or sound in some way I'm not hearing? Will this cause them to explode or destroy all life as we know it? /overdramatic-conclusions

The amps I have hooked together are:
1. My Fender 65w Champ 12, listed in sig (It's a tube amp, and due to it's vintageness and authenticity, the one I'm most worried about)
2. Peavey 50w Audition 30, with onboard EQ (Then again, this seems like it was built to take a direct collision with a semi-truck on the highway, so I'm only worried about the electronics on the Peavey)
3. Squier Fender 10w SP-10, (the only one of the three that I couldn't care less about. Will probably either accidentally blow the speaker or sell it sometime soon)

Thanks for any and all help!
You know, you're probably reading this saying "Hey, I'm bored, maybe this'll be funny?"
It's not. Too bad. No, I am not refunding you those 6 seconds of your life. So :P

be more specific on how you hooked them up together
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
It's not going through the pre-amp.

Basically it's rigged like this.

Guitar>pedals>(Input 1)Fender Champ>(Input 2 on Fender Champ goes to Input 1 on) Peavey Audition 30>(Input 2 on Peavey goes to the only input on the) SP-10.

Is this still unsafe?
You know, you're probably reading this saying "Hey, I'm bored, maybe this'll be funny?"
It's not. Too bad. No, I am not refunding you those 6 seconds of your life. So :P

Quote by Snap017

Guitar>pedals>(Input 1)Fender Champ>(Input 2 on Fender Champ goes to Input 1 on) Peavey Audition 30>(Input 2 on Peavey goes to the only input on the) SP-10.

Is this still unsafe?

i think thats fine actually, ibanezpsycho did that back when he had his triple stack, if i can remember correctly.
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
i think thats fine actually, ibanezpsycho did that back when he had his triple stack, if i can remember correctly.

Does ibanezpsycho know what he's doing? Or was it a fluke?

Off topic, what does that Line6 POD XT do? My band records with a UX2, but I've never heard of the XT and I'm too lazy to use google. xD

Quote by Snap017
Does ibanezpsycho know what he's doing? Or was it a fluke?

Off topic, what does that Line6 POD XT do? My band records with a UX2, but I've never heard of the XT and I'm too lazy to use google. xD

ibanezpsycho knows what hes doing around these forums, you could ask him if you like just to make sure. the line 6 pod xt is a multi fx, and its very similar to the UX2 in terms of guitar fx and amp models, except it doesnt need a computer to do stuff. i use it as a preamp for my guitar as well as my computer's soundcard/playback device.
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
Ah the fan out. No problem but there are better options. You can, for example, take the slave out of the Fender (My Yale has one so yours should) and put it in a clean channel on the Peavey with all EQ flattened so both are using the Fender pre-amp. I always do similar with my Yale into the Roost like into a slave amp. The Yale's pre-amp is delicious and the Roosts power and tone make it amazing.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Its fine and wont harm the amp, i've done a good bit of research on it and ran my amps like that for a good period of time like stated already.

But that said what your doing works great if your in a pinch or just testing the waters. But a good aby box with a buffer is going to be your best bet. It will cure the noise issue usually associated with splitting and cure the level drop. Which can really take away from your tone considerably.

Here's an example of what I use now, its a nice pedal and helps out considerably..

Quote by Snap017

Is this still unsafe?

You DO realize that nothing actually comes out of an amp's "input"? So I'm not really sure what you were trying to do linking inputs together.
Quote by al112987
You DO realize that nothing actually comes out of an amp's "input"? So I'm not really sure what you were trying to do linking inputs together.

actually, that does work! my champ 600 is able to do that to - i go into the high input of the champ, get the signal out of the lo input and run it through my pignose. dont ask me why it works circuit-wise, but it works!

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by al112987

Except for the signal from the guitar...
My Stuffs
Whammy->DL4->Holy Grail->MXR 108->Mesa Rectoverb
OCD->Sun Face->Big Muff->535Q->DL4->Orange TT
Quote by al112987

its no different then when people "jump" the channels on old bassmans and jtm 45s. i never understood what it did until i tried. somehow it works.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
I know jumping the channels works but I'm not seeing how this is the same thing.
It works because all of those amps have parallel inputs. The result is that you can plug into one input and use the second "input" as an out jack because the signal is split between it and the first input.

It's just like using a Y-cable, essentially.

^Jumping the channels and doing this is exactly the same thing- the idea behind jumping channels is that you're taking the output from one preamp and putting it through the second one, so the signal passes through both preamps instead of one. What the OP did instead of jump to a second channel is to jump to another amp. There's nothing wrong with it as long as they're in phase.
Quote by Roc8995
It works because all of those amps have parallel inputs. The result is that you can plug into one input and use the second "input" as an out jack because the signal is split between it and the first input.

It's just like using a Y-cable, essentially.

^Jumping the channels and doing this is exactly the same thing- the idea behind jumping channels is that you're taking the output from one preamp and putting it through the second one, so the signal passes through both preamps instead of one. What the OP did instead of jump to a second channel is to jump to another amp. There's nothing wrong with it as long as they're in phase.

thanks for the clear-up
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Yes IP helped me hook two combos together once.

Hey IP - with that Tripler can you play all 3 amps at once or only select one at a time?

I can run each amp seperatly or together...

Examples...
1 on 2 off 3 on
1 on 2 on 3 on
1 on 2 off 3 off
1 off 2 off 3 off
Quote by IbanezPsycho
I can run each amp seperatly or together...

Examples...
1 on 2 off 3 on
1 on 2 on 3 on
1 on 2 off 3 off
1 off 2 off 3 off

And how exactly does that one sound?

I had no idea you could link combo's together this way. By "both combo's have to be in phase", how would one check this?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
By "both combo's have to be in phase", how would one check this?

By putting them about 5 feet apart facing each other and sticking your head in between them and playing. If they're out of phase you'll hear the cancellation. If you think you hear something, reverse the speaker wires (+ and -) on one amp and try again.

Most amps don't reverse phase so it's not really something to worry about. The worst that can happen if they're out of phase is that it might sound bad from certain angles.
Quote by Roc8995
By putting them about 5 feet apart facing each other and sticking your head in between them

I gotta tell ya, I thought this post was going another direction after reading that much of it. lol

Thank you guys, I didn't know you could do this.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I've run my Traynor and Peavey this way a couple of times to get a different sound. A a few here have mentioned it's perfectly harmless although your loading your guiatr's output more as it's being split into several loads instead of just one. That being said, Jimmy Hendrix used this very method to drive his wall of Marshalls!
Moving on.....
^that is actually the only way you could have a working wall of marshalls back then

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009