Hey all,
I asked my bass teacher today if we could go over some funk basslines next time.
He said fine and asked me for some examples.
I looked at him blankly as it dawned on me i know nothing about funk.

So can you suggest me some songs some good interesting synocopated funk lines in?

Preferably some slap style stuff and some fingerstyle.

Thanks,
I hope i have explained myself ok.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
most bootsy collins
hair - graham central station
anything with larry graham on bass
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Thanks for the suggestions so far but i forgot to mention that i dont want things that are easy as i'm looking for something that will push me as a player. |I have identified that 'feel' is something i lack so i decided i wanted to learn some funk.

So basically i would like some stuff that is heavily syncopated but creates that funky feel. hard to explain

x

EDIT:you know what i have changed my mind, forget slap style stuff. i want some pure fingerstyle funk.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
Last edited by shinhoman at Feb 12, 2009,
Yeah, defenately listen to a lot of Larry Graham, Graham Central Station, and Sly and the Family Stone.

Listen to some Traffic, it isn't funk per se, but the basslines defenately take a lot from the genre. I'd highly suggest Rock and Roll Stew, Light Up or Leave Me Alone, and John Barleycorn Must Die.

-Edit-
Dude, with Larry Graham don't worry about a lack of challenge. Seriously:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_4tNot8-xk
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Last edited by Garou1911 at Feb 12, 2009,
Quote by InvaderTSN

whoever the guy with the double neck guitar is, he's now my hero.
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
play that funky music
Gear
Ibanez RG2EX2
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Strat
Homemade EVH
Marshall JCM 800 Combo

Quote by freshtunes
its not so much that i feel guilty about masturbating, its the things that i masturbate to that make me feel guilty.
Finger style funk? F!cking Tower of Power man. Also, Brick House by the Commodores is pretty funky no matter what style you play in. Oh, James Brown too.

Anarkee is the resident queen of finger style funk, im sure she could be of more help.
Quote by thefitz
That's because you're a 13 year old who only focuses on guitars. I bet most people can't tell the difference between your voice and your mother's.
now if you asked your teacher, why did he ask you for songs?

/didnt happen
/just wanted to know the name of funk songs, and threw in a story to make it less boring
Quote by Azgirio
Yeah, you definitely raped his churches and burned his women.

Quote by LordBishek
Forgive the bluntness, but what in the chucklefucking hell is this?
Quote by PluckU
now if you asked your teacher, why did he ask you for songs?

/didnt happen
/just wanted to know the name of funk songs, and threw in a story to make it less boring

because he wanted examples of what i wanted him to teach me, and i cant think of any of my own as i have a poor knowledge of funk.

anyways, this is the kinda style i am looking for: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2gK5ALMvWo

i dunno whether this is just classed as noodling or will actually appear in a song format though tbh.

x

Quote by CBurtonIsKing
Anarkee is the resident queen of finger style funk, im sure she could be of more help.

i was actually subconsciously waiting for her to come in with some good suggestions...

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
Last edited by shinhoman at Feb 12, 2009,
x

x
Quote by Azgirio
Yeah, you definitely raped his churches and burned his women.

Quote by LordBishek
Forgive the bluntness, but what in the chucklefucking hell is this?
Quote by shinhoman
because he wanted examples of what i wanted him to teach me, and i cant think of any of my own as i have a poor knowledge of funk.

anyways, this is the kinda style i am looking for: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2gK5ALMvWo

i dunno whether this is just classed as noodling or will actually appear in a song format though tbh.

x

i was actually subconsciously waiting for her to come in with some good suggestions...

x

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5etCbMTNCk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55Rb8IdwkoE

Hmm..like this?
Quote by Micehorns

Yeah! the latter was what i was looking for specifically. any suggestions of songs like that would be gold. cheers

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
Quote by shinhoman
Yeah! the latter was what i was looking for specifically. any suggestions of songs like that would be gold. cheers

x

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jA6CVmHpe1w&feature=related

Try some Aquarian Dream.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYrqLgOHcUU

That sounds pretty funky aswell.

....My manliness has dropped into the minus thanks to you lol

EDIT : I think the disco scene is where you'll find these little gems of funky bass playing. Sadly, this is where my knowledge ends. Just go through the playlists on Youtube.
Last edited by Micehorns at Feb 12, 2009,
Oh the resident finger funk goddess wants to know...

What level of difficulty are looking at, oh seeker of funky knowledge?

I have to head out to class and jazz practice in a bit, but I could give you some suggestions when I return or tomorrow morning.
A lot of Jaco grooves are a result of these muted notes. Come On Come Over comes to mind, along with parts of Opus Pocus. I don't know what level of stuff you're looking for though.
Quote by FbSa
Back in the 70's I decided to take all the frets off Jaco's Bass thinking he would play worse. Man did that backfire.

[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']FUCK YES.

GSAWS, I LOVE YOU.
Quote by anarkee
Oh the resident finger funk goddess wants to know...

What level of difficulty are looking at, oh seeker of funky knowledge?

I have to head out to class and jazz practice in a bit, but I could give you some suggestions when I return or tomorrow morning.

well i hate to blow my own trumpet but i'm not a beginner, so things like play that funky music aren't appropriate. so possibly a couple of farily complicated things and some more advanced ones? if that makes sense?

thanks!

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
You need to check out Tower of Power then--Roccio Prestia is a finger style funk mother.

"What is Hip" is a monster fingerstyle song. Oh hell, anything out of ToP catalog is great. Prestia has a great DVD out there, btw. I recommend it highly

Check out Bernie Edwards of Chic. That man made me fall in love with Musicman basses.

Check out George Porter Jr of the Meters--Sissy Strut and Tippy Toes are good songs to start with.

Check out Yuri Pavlinov of the Bamboos. Recommend song--"The Bamboo's Theme"

Check out Alan Gorie of AWB - Most famous line "Pick up the Pieces"

If you want some good books--PM me. I can recommend a few.
Although not funk per se, good examples of strong fingerstyle groove can be found in many Motown/Stax records of the classic soul era. Bassists like J.Jamerson, B.Babbit and Duck Dunn all have great groove and feel, and whilst it might not be so in your face as many funk records, its still quality material to inspire you playing. JJ also was the master of funky fills...
Another song I would recommend is "Fire" by the Ohio Players. While the line is relatively straightforward, its a good one to learn to play firmly in the groove and pocket. Here's a good exercise:

Take that riff and set your drum loop/metronome to say 60 or 80 bpms at first. Start playing and then try to maintain the riff while holding a conversation with someone. Eventually, you will start internalizing the feel of the riff and digging into that pocket deep.