Poll: Epiphone Elitist vs. Tokai LP (same price range)
Poll Options
View poll results: Epiphone Elitist vs. Tokai LP (same price range)
Epiphone Elitist Les Paul
8 80%
Tokai LP copy (same price range as the Epi)
2 20%
Voters: 10.
I'd like to buy a Les Paul, but the Gibson price tag stops me from doing so.
Instead, I want to buy a copy. After some research, I narrowed down my choices to the Epiphone Elitist and the Tokai (not sure which model, whichever is in the same price range as the Epi). Both of these got very good reviews and comments.
So...Which one should I pick?
Why one over the other?
i would say the Epi, the Elitist model can easily be classified as a REAL Gibson......
i dunno about the Tokai i have never played one but some UGers highly recommends them if you are buying an LP copy.......
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
elitist

i loved mine
Fender American Standard Telecaster
Martin DC-16RE Premium

Fender Snakeskin Champ 12
They're probably extremely similar in quality, although if you want the real LP shape I'd go for the Elitist.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Most Tokais aren't made in Japan anymore.

I'd suggest an Edwards over both, but that's just me. Unless the Tokai is made in Japan, the Elitist is the better choice.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
i would say the Epi, the Elitist model can easily be classified as a REAL Gibson......
i dunno about the Tokai i have never played one but some UGers highly recommends them if you are buying an LP copy.......

No. Even being a high quality guitar, there are some aspects of it that still make it an Epiphone. Like the ugly headstock shape and sub-par pickups.

TS, elitists are still awesome guitars, but if I had the choice, I'd rather go for an Edwards Les Paul. A good Edwards rivals Gibson Custom Shop guitars while a good elitist LP rivals Gibson USA guitars.

The problem is, Edwards guitars are inconsistent in terms of quality and are sold in Japan, but you could probably find some in the US on Ebay.

If it's possible for you, get an Edwards. It it isn't, get an Elitist, you won't be disappointed!
Last edited by Mike! at Feb 12, 2009,
Quote by MatrixClaw
I'd suggest an Edwards over both, but that's just me.

+1000

You're edwards (which I helped fund ) is gorgeous
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Quote by danyellenik
+1000

You're edwards (which I helped fund ) is gorgeous

I almost traded it away for a PRS, but then I came to my senses! I dunno what I was thinking!!!
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Id go with the Epi or the Edwards. Most expect Epiphone to be better simply because they are owned by Gibson, but an Epiphone can sound god awful if the factory messed up. My main advice is to try before you buy an Epi, and set it up asap. (I did the latter with my Standard)

Makes a world of difference. An when I say try before buy I mean try it out at the store and pick the one you like the most. Not try one at a store then order it on the Internet. Many people get dud Epi's when ordering on the internet. But if you find one at a local music store that feels and sounds brilliant for you then go for it.
My Rig-
-Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Duncans) {My Baby ^_^}
-Fender Frontman 212R
-Boss DS-1
-Boss MD-2
-Boss Noise Gate