Im starting to see that im having a lot of trouble learning how tp play faster with my fretting hand. What I am starting to believe is that my technique is wrong and its not allowing me to advance farther. I still cant play too fast without screwing up a lot or just playing real slow and ive been playing for quite a while.

Can somebody do me a favor and show me proper motion techniques with the fretting hand, specifically where the thumb should be on the back of the neck, mine always seems to be really high up and I am not sure if that is the problem or if thats ok. I am completely self taught so I never had someone to correct me on this stuff. Thanks,

if you can post a youtube video with a camera on the back of the neck so i can see the movements that would be awesome.

THANKS

Any other tips are appreciated
i dont think thumb positions matter much, i have short thumbs [sounds wierd] but my fingers reach just fine. playing fast does take a lot of practice and finger strength building.

do chromatic scales all the way from open to the 12th fret through all the strings and then backwards from high e 12th fret to low e open.

you MUST practice with a metronome! you can use one online or spend about 30-40 bucks on a combo tuner/metronome. start slow with no mistakes[60 bpm] go up 5 bpm each time you can go through flawlessly.

after you feel your finger strength has improved, learn/play some blues and apply your skills with the blues scale. and then you can start to learn modes like lydian or phrygian etc etc [spelling?]

again it's not important what motion your hands should be moving to play fast but how they've come to move playing fast.

i hope this has helped!!
READ THIS F***ING STICKY!

Okay, see that link?

Go there, bookmark it, whatever. I constantly refer to this. It helps quite a bit. If you haven't read through it already, definitely read it... from... the... BEGINNING.

Technique is only a suggestion to be honest, Even Yngwie has his thumb up over the neck!
I don't remember where I was,
When I realized life was a game.
The more seriously I took things,
The harder the rules became.
my thumb wraps around hte neck.. its kinda like an anchor, i dont intentionally do it, it just happens, but it makes me more comfortable
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
I just practiced my ass off for hours and hours.

Seems to be working.

Long way to go though.

Paul Gilbert (I think) said something along the lines of 'your picking is the gas, while your fretting hand steers. There's no point hitting the gas when you can't steer.' or vice versa. Which couldn't be more true.

Once you have hand strength, accuracy, synchronisation and finally speed, you should continue or start to learn your theory.

[****e analogy]Theory's like your map. Once you can drive, explore a bit.

[/****e analogy]
Quote by ljohn
I just practiced my ass off for hours and hours.

Seems to be working.

Long way to go though.

Paul Gilbert (I think) said something along the lines of 'your picking is the gas, while your fretting hand steers. There's no point hitting the gas when you can't steer.' or vice versa. Which couldn't be more true.

Once you have hand strength, accuracy, synchronisation and finally speed, you should continue or start to learn your theory.

[****e analogy]Theory's like your map. Once you can drive, explore a bit.

[/****e analogy]

My favorite video of him . I watch it all the time. The part you mentioned is at 2:42.

In fact, 0:00-3:00 should be just the motivation you're looking for, TS! Even Paul Gilbert himself didn't realize the importance of technique until years after he started playing. So in a way, you're ahead of the man himself in terms of skill vs. how long you have played.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Quote by WH15P3R
Technique is only a suggestion to be honest, Even Yngwie has his thumb up over the neck!

Your point being?

Technique is very important, and learning the proper way to pick is the fastest way for anyone to get fast. If anyone says otherwise, it's either because they have poor technique themselves, or they are just too blind to see. A guy like Yngwie only plays fast (sloppy, but meh, he's fast) because he's played like that for all of his playing years. That doesn't make it right. Heck, you could learn to do anything at any speed, regardless of technique. This is about efficiency though, not just 'the playing'.

Technique is not a suggestion.
Quote by Y00p
Your point being?

Technique is very important, and learning the proper way to pick is the fastest way for anyone to get fast. If anyone says otherwise, it's either because they have poor technique themselves, or they are just too blind to see. A guy like Yngwie only plays fast (sloppy, but meh, he's fast) because he's played like that for all of his playing years. That doesn't make it right. Heck, you could learn to do anything at any speed, regardless of technique. This is about efficiency though, not just 'the playing'.

From what I've heard of him, he's quite precise... I was using him as an example.

My point being that you don't have to have perfect technique to play well, I see too many people get too caught up with technique and end up being failed musicians because they are too strict and rigid about their playing and don't experiment enough.
Then they become music teachers making a piss-poor wage, yet they still think they're better than other guitarists because they have their thumb in the right place.

I'm not saying Technique is useless, I trained classically for 5 years so I know the importance of it.
But if doing something works for you, you shouldn't have to learn the way it works for someone else.
So Therefore, yes, Technique is a suggestion.
No one is going to jump down your throat because your pick isn't angled directly the way it should be.
Music is about expressing yourself and being experimenting and being individual.
Sure, take Techniques that work for you... but don't get OCD about it.
Quote by Y00p
Your point being?

What? The man's a technical robot but his music can be incredibly boring for me, you can't doubt his level of playing, it's certainly up there in terms of technique but as for songwriting, gets a bit hard to listen to when all he plays is the same scale for 4 minutes of solo time.
Quote by XianXiuHong
What? The man's a technical robot but his music can be incredibly boring for me, you can't doubt his level of playing, it's certainly up there in terms of technique but as for songwriting, gets a bit hard to listen to when all he plays is the same scale for 4 minutes of solo time.

A robot? Please... look up some of his later live stuff and tell me that that is skilled, technical playing... He was really good back in the days, and even live he was above par, but lately he's just been really really REALLY sloppy. It's just pathetic.
Quote by Y00p
A robot? Please... look up some of his later live stuff and tell me that that is skilled, technical playing... He was really good back in the days, and even live he was above par, but lately he's just been really really REALLY sloppy. It's just pathetic.
Even on Evil-Eye era, he had a different technique and he was still bang on with fluency.
Quote by Y00p

k the dudes amazing and way better then you
stop being jealous and realise that yngwie is amazing.. his music isnt hte best sounding.. but still amazing
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
Quote by JimmyBanks6
stop being jealous and realise that yngwie is amazing.. his music isnt hte best sounding.. but still amazing

Yngwie is amazing but I wouldn't have worded it the way you did.
Quote by JimmyBanks6

Of course he's better than me. He should be. He's been playing for almost twice my entire LIFEtime. That's completely besides the point. Yngwie is a great player, no doubt, but a lot of what I've seen of him has just been really sloppy. Like this video where he's showing us how to 'play fast', and he was just completely all over the place.
Or the video where he's playing in a park in London, he's trying to play one of his own songs and it just sounds completely horrendous, he misses just about every other note he's trying to play.

Don't get me wrong, I do think of Yngwie as a good player, he just every so often trades spot on accuracy for looking cool.