okay I was at one of the local shops, and the owner got mad at me for trying an Orange Rockerverb (or whatever the 30W model name is).

Anyway, I was playing some jazz, and some Bowie for a mere 2 minutes. The guy comes over and tells me that since its a higher-price amp, to try a different one instead.

I of course apologize to him, as I've known him awhile and he is generally a good guy.

So, I tried a Fender Twin Reverb (another high-priced amp, mind you), for a while, instead of arguing with him.

Well, that was a wasted trip to the store.

But how am I supposed to know if I want to buy, it unless I try it out? Am I supposed to buy it blindly?

Also was he correct in telling me to try something different or not?

Or do you agree with him?

What would you do in this situation?
I totally disagree with him. I'm sure he wouldn't buy an amp without trying it first.

EDIT: And if he would, he'd be foolish to do so.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
I totally disagree with him. I'm sure he wouldn't buy an amp without trying it first.

EDIT: And if he would, he'd be foolish to do so.

To which 'HIM" are you refering to, me? or the shop owner?
i guess he just doesnt want stupid teenagers (like me) to go around screwing up all the high end gear by not leaving it on standby, not hooking up to cab correctly, etc... just a thought
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
I really dislike shop owners who act like that. Apparently, they're not good business men.

EDIT: If anything, I would do anything possible for you to purchase the amp. Lay away, etc.
Quote by NeverMeant
Sometimes I feel like I won't care if my girlfriend dies because then I won't have to worry about her becoming pregnant.
Im a college kid, and it was a combo, not a stack.

And I've been there about a hundred times, the guy knows I take care of equipment, so that's not it.

Also if he doesnt want people messing with it, he should put it in a safe place and hang a sign, "LOOK BUT DONT TOUCH".
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Maybe since he knows you always come in there just to demo stuff and not purchase anything high end he finally said enough is enough... Who knows... Just a guess..

hah, yeah, i have a feeling guitar center's gonna do that one day to me. i know another shop were my friend's bassist works though, so i think ill be fine
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Maybe since he knows you always come in there just to demo stuff and not purchase anything high end he finally said enough is enough... Who knows... Just a guess..

I get what your saying and it makes sicne.

Except in this case, he knows I'm trying to find my tone. We've talked about it alot actually.
well if you expressed serious interest in buying it i doubt he would've asked you to stop playing it. if he does that to you again just say something like, "well how am i supposed to buy it if you wont let me try it."
My Gear

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone Elitist Paul Mccartney Texan
Orange Tiny Terror
Vox Valvetronix AD 30
Vox V847 Wah
Metal Muff EQ (broken )
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal

Me playing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0unpDZFIWA
You should of said: Well, I was about to buy this amp. Thanks for your time, I'll take my business elsewhere.
Quote by Mike!
You should of said: Well, I was about to buy this amp. Thanks for your time, I'll take my business elsewhere.

no, that's the asshole thing to do.

because it's a local shop i don't blame them at all for telling you to get off the amp. at my local store they let you screw around on them for like...5 minutes before they tell you that you can't stay on there too long. now, if you tell the store owner before you play then, "i'm planning on buying a new amp and i had this particular one in mind" then they'll let you try it out all you want.

local shops aren't like sam ash or guitar center where they don't give a crap about the gear and the workers all get paid the same amount. in a local shop, if something breaks, it's coming out of their pocket.

again, if you just want to screw around on an amp, don't go to a local shop. also, the whole "im planning on buying..etc etc" will only work so many times if you really aren't planning on buying anything and you lie to them to play on the amps so i don't suggest you do that either.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Last edited by Waterboy799 at Feb 12, 2009,
Quote by neptune1988
Im a college kid, and it was a combo, not a stack.

And I've been there about a hundred times, the guy knows I take care of equipment, so that's not it.

Also if he doesnt want people messing with it, he should put it in a safe place and hang a sign, "LOOK BUT DONT TOUCH".

Like the music store in kansas that had a $400 drum kit that said "PLAY WITH YOUR EYES ONLY" That guy was an ass. He had a warped neck Dean ML and plugged me into the $100 Ibanez Practice amp and told me a couldnt touch it (the amp)

Ya wasted trips/bad owners are horrible, luckly in Missouri (were I live) the gut who runs the local shop is really nice and cuts me rele good deals on some vintage guitars
Gear
Schecter C1 Hellraiser FR
1967 Ventura Les Paul Copy
Marshall JCM 2000 Dual Super Lead
If local shops want to compete they're going to have to lose that attitude. Why would I buy from one if I can try it at GC, get great customer service at GC (the service I've received at GC has been infinitely better than any local shop I've tried) and buy it for cheaper at GC?

IP is right, the guy was probably just tired of you wasting his time and not buying anything, I mean this has been going on for like a year now, I'd tell you to leave too.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
See, this is kinda weird, cause I'm on a first name basis with the guys at Long & McQuade, and I'll walk in and they'll be like "dude, try this, its great." I go in there to play guitars to waste time ALL the time. But everywhere is different I guess.
I'm Joel. I play guitar. I am a student. I look at the cost of tuition, not in a dollar value, but in the guitars I'm sacrificing now, to be able to buy later.
I remember when I before I bought my Orange cab, I would go once a week to see if the shop hadn't sold it.

After a while the owner (now my friend) was like: "Dude, when are you trying it out?!"

So I finally did (a few times, I might add) and let me give him monthly payments. Took me four months to pay it off.

Then, a few years later I bought my Rockerverb 50 Head from him.
Quote by NeverMeant
Sometimes I feel like I won't care if my girlfriend dies because then I won't have to worry about her becoming pregnant.
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
hah, yeah, i have a feeling guitar center's gonna do that one day to me. i know another shop were my friend's bassist works though, so i think ill be fine

Man, your Guitar Center must be awesome. Mine sucks. All they carry is VK's, Spiders, and MG's.
Some places are like that. It's annoying to store owners when kids stroll in there, and just sit around and play without any intention of buying.

I'm going to play devil's advocate here...

If I were in the market to buy an Orange Rockerverb and I went to the store that had one to try it out, the owner would have zero problem. And I'll ask this, were you trying the amp because you potentially wanted to buy the amp? I take it no, since you just moved on to a different amp instead. If you're honestly going to ask "how am I supposed to know you want to buy it unless you try it out first," then you've never bought high end gear before.

You can say, "I don't know if I want it, unless I try it first" but there is a difference between trying an amp that you may want to buy, as opposed to going to a music store and just playing an amp that interests you. 90% of people want to play that giant Marshall SLP full stack, sure there is some possibility that they might like it enough to consider it in the future as a purchase, but is that the same as the person who is looking for a new amp, is interested in the super lead and wants to try it out? Again, the sole fact that you apologized to him, got up and went to a different amp told the seller that you had zero intention of buying that amp. If you were honestly serious about buying that amp, would you honestly tell me that you would have just switched to a different one? I'm not a confrontational person and even I've said, "sir, I am in the market for a new amp, this one interests me, could you tell me a little more about it?" about gear that I was seriously interested in buying. And I have never ONCE been hassled about it. And when I was younger, I had plenty of owners get on my case for playing expensive Gibsons through expensive amps, and in retrospect, they had every right to. The gear is not there for people to come in and play, it's a music STORE, to SELL goods to BUYERS. If a potential BUYER is going to buy something, they sure as hell want to try it out, but you cannot convince me that you walked into that store with the thought that you might want to BUY that Orange.
Last edited by al112987 at Feb 13, 2009,
^ paragraphs nigga.

Personally, I think it's more polite to ask somebody if you can test the expensive gear. Yes, you are perfectly capable of doing it yourself, but that way the shop can be sure everything is being done right.

And if they say no.. then come back with "how do you expect to sell it?" I don't buy gear on the strength of hype, reccomendations, reviews, YouTube videos. I would be extremely reluctant to buy anything I hadn't tested myself.
When I go back to the USA, there's a big guitar shop (almost a warehouse) that I always go to. They're pretty chill there, but they always let me try what I want. They know I live in Saudi Arabia, and i think they think i have money. lol... that's a joke. but everytime I go, i'll buy a pack of strings or something. and I get nearly all my music books and such there. and I always use their services too. like having my trumpet fixed up. so now, I can go and pick up the $3500 Gibsons and they don't even care. But I always ask. well, almost always

But in saudi the guitar shop is in the mall. the guys are chill. and they know me well. but they don't know the gear. once I had to teach one of them the string names on a 5 string bass I was looking at. but I buy lots of gear from them. and they always let me play the high end guitars (all one of them) and try out the pedals. unless the religious police are in the mall. they don't like music, so i can't play if they're anywhere in the vacinity. but other than that, i'm a very welcome person. unless i start playing a piano. they don't anyone playing those for some reason...

but you've gotta be polite and curtious even if you're not going to buy the gear. I like to ask shop owners about all the features just for the sake of learning about the gear. and a lot of owners like that and thus reward you for letting them show off their knowlege. like "here, why don't you give this a shot!" and then you say thank you, and you've got the full stack and the showcase guitar.
Quote by Roast Beef
^ paragraphs nigga.

Personally, I think it's more polite to ask somebody if you can test the expensive gear. Yes, you are perfectly capable of doing it yourself, but that way the shop can be sure everything is being done right.

And if they say no.. then come back with "how do you expect to sell it?" I don't buy gear on the strength of hype, reccomendations, reviews, YouTube videos. I would be extremely reluctant to buy anything I hadn't tested myself.

I agree with this statement entirely. You probably should have asked before you tried the equipment as a gesture of good manners and an opportunity for him to make sure you know what you are doing, but nevertheless, he was being a douchebag and going overboard despite the circumstances and if someone had have reacted to me like that, I would have told him to stick his precious Orange up his arse because there is no ****ing way I am going to blow this money wihtout making sure I like the amp first.
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
Quote by IncubusMan999
I agree with this statement entirely. You probably should have asked before you tried the equipment as a gesture of good manners and an opportunity for him to make sure you know what you are doing, but nevertheless, he was being a douchebag and going overboard despite the circumstances and if someone had have reacted to me like that, I would have told him to stick his precious Orange up his arse because there is no ****ing way I am going to blow this money wihtout making sure I like the amp first.

Wow you must not get it at all.

There is nothing wrong with trying before you buy. No one should buy gear without trying it first, but in his case, he wasn't buying, and the fact that he went off to a different amp says nothing more than that he had no intention of buying that amp. If he was, I assure you, the story would have been entirely different. Seriously, do people actually think guitar stores are just places to go for one's enjoyment to try out gear? It's not some sort of amp showcase. There are a ton of people who go to guitar stores for no reason other than to sit around and play high end gear. Like I said, if the TS was in the market for a new amp, was looking around and was interested in the Orange, this story would never happened.
Last edited by al112987 at Feb 13, 2009,
Quote by al112987
Wow you must not get it at all.

There is nothing wrong with trying before you buy. No one should buy gear without trying it first, but in his case, he wasn't buying, and the fact that he went off to a different amp says nothing more than that he had no intention of buying that amp. If he was, I assure you, the story would have been entirely different. Seriously, do people actually think guitar stores are just places to go for one's enjoyment to try out gear? It's not some sort of amp showcase. There are a ton of people who go to guitar stores for no reason other than to sit around and play high end gear. Like I said, if the TS was in the market for a new amp, was looking around and was interested in the Orange, this story would never happened.

I disagree (to an extent). Sure, it's best to go into a guitar store with the intention of buying something. However, the amps are displayed for a reason: to try them out. Now, admittedly, Guitar Center shouldn't become your new place of practice, because it's not your gear. However, there's nothing wrong with trying high end gear without the intention of buying it right then and there, or even in the near future.

Hell, how are people supposed to gain an interest in an amp unless they try it out first? I remember during my search for an amp, I went into guitar center with the intention of buying a small combo amp to upgrade. While in there, I played through a Dual Rectifier half stack, and numerous other high end stacks, and decided it was best to save money and buy one of those.

While I agree that people should not head into guitar center week after week and play with the gear, I say there's nothing wrong with trying out some gear, even if its out of your price range and you don't know anything about it, because how else are you supposed to find what amp suits you best?