hey i'm thinking about buying a guitar with only a bridge pickup.
how much of a pain in the ass would it be to add a neck pickup, volume knob, and pickup selecter?
Quote by extrememetal94
I really hope I have a small penis.
Unless you have a fair amount of wood working experience, I don't think that I would bother. Unless it was a cheap (free!) guitar and I wanted to get some experience. I imagine that it will vary depending on the guitar, but you're looking, at the very least, at a good bit of new routing (for the pickup, wires, pots, etc...). I'm sure that I'm missing something...But good luck if you decide to go that route!
If you even have to ask then you shouldn't be trying it.

Not least of all, something like that would require a complete stripping of the body. By the time you took all the existing finish off and re-finished it, you could be looking at literally months of work if you wanted the final finish to be at all good, and you certainly wouldn't be saving any money.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Yes it's no way to save a few bucks! Eddie Van Halen's first album guiatr had just a single HB in the bridge position but hey, he's Eddie! If you really want two PUs buy a guitar with two PUs!
Moving on.....
Quote by KenG
Yes it's no way to save a few bucks! Eddie Van Halen's first album guiatr had just a single HB in the bridge position but hey, he's Eddie! If you really want two PUs buy a guitar with two PUs!

Yes, but only because he couldn't figure out how to wire the neck pickup in
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Actually I think he didn't have enough money at the time to buy a guiatr so he made his up from pieces. (Don't money's an issue now!)
Moving on.....
how hard it would be depends entirely on the guitar. if its a strat style guitar with a pickguard over where you want to put the pickup, you can get away with lousy routing. then just buy another pickguard that has a space for a pickup, and go from there. if its a guitar where you would have to mount the pickup to the body, you better be damn good with a router. if you have good woodworking skills, it isnt going to be prohibitivly hard. however, since you are asking about it, i dont think thats the case. which means dont do it.
The issue may be getting the wires from the neck pickup to the controls. If it has a pickguard not a big deal. But if its a rear route with no guard you will have to carefully drill a hole from the control cavity to the neck pickup. Bolt necks not a huge deal you can drill from the neck pocket but need a long drill bit to do it.
if you were really good with a router then go ahead but itll b hard no matter what. it would be alot easier if you found a routing pattern so you know were to go