Alright, so I'm looking for a mic. Don't know much about how they work or what all I need to use one. I'm just starting out a band, but this is mostly just for me.

Basically, I just want something better than my laptop mic to record vocals. Right now I have a Tascam US-144 going to my Dell XPS m 1530. Reading about it, it seems like a condenser mic is better, but I'm not exactly sure what the difference is.

Also, once we do get the band up and running it would be nice if we could use this mic to sing while practicing. I don't know if you need different mics for recording and for singing live, so anything you can tell me will help me out. I'm really new to this whole recording thing.

I may eventually want to record an acoustic too.

I feel like that was a bit rambling so ask me if something's unclear.

Here were a couple I was looking at:

Behringer XM8500 $19.99
Nacy SPC-25 Condenser $34.99
And then of course the Shure 57 and 58 for $100

I'm leaving towards the Behringer because it's the cheapest, got good reviews, and quality isn't super important.

Is this all I would need, or do I need some other cables or something? Remember, I have the Tascam US-144.

Thanks, sorry for the long post and newb questions
Shure sm58 best mic you can buy
Luna Andromeda dragon bass
Schecter Omen Extreme
Fender strat
Fender Labrea electic/acoustic
Peavey tour 450
Peavey tour 410/115
Galien-kruger Backline 600
Black Heart BH15h
Gibson Les Paul gold top (Knock off)
go shure sm58. just bought one, i'd never go back after it
Check out my music:
Sideshow

"Swing your hips, not your fists"- Cedric Bixler Zavala
Will it really be worth $80 more to me though? I'm not doing this professionally, just for me.
It's extremely important that you buy a good quality mic. If you opt for the cheaper one, you will be extremely disappointed with the result. Go for the Shure. You will upgrade to it anyway once you see what a poor quality mic does.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
It might be worth stating that there is a high possibility that I suck at singing and will not end up using it anyway.

Can pretty much all mics record and be used live? Cause if I pay that much for it, I want to be able to use it for the band. And do you need anything else to do any of this?
Apart from a PA?

In general you will use condeser mics to record. This is because they pick up a lot more sound, and would pick up the sounds of your band and audience if you were to use them live. That, and they're expensive so you'd cry if someone spilt beer on it.

Use the others to play live. These can also be used for recording, but won't have the same sound quality as a condenser mic.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Apart from a PA?

In general you will use condeser mics to record. This is because they pick up a lot more sound, and would pick up the sounds of your band and audience if you were to use them live. That, and they're expensive so you'd cry if someone spilt beer on it.

Use the others to play live. These can also be used for recording, but won't have the same sound quality as a condenser mic.

So the Nacy would probably be my best bet for recording? I mean as long as it sounds decent I'm fine with it, anything will be better than my laptop speakers. Also, I don't think we'll have the money for a PA system, but I've heard that you can run the vocals through a bass amp, is this true?
Wow. Sure you can run vocals through a bass amp. You can also put vocals through the guitar amp and crank up the distortion, a bit of wah.

This is not recommended in any way. Those amps aren't made for voices, and the results will be not pretty.

For practice you could consider hiring a practice room with your band. They're generally cheap once you divide the costs, and most come with a PA and drum set.

I highly encourage you to buy the Shure 58. I use it, and it looks like others here do too. That way you will recieve a mic that's great for gigging, and good for recording. I haven't used the Nacy before, but I'll guess the Shure is better than that too for recording.
Soundcloud
I'd definitely go with the Shure. It's a strong, dependable, well known and trusted live mic that also performs decently in the studio, sometimes better than a good condenser on certain types of voices.

As for practice, I'd recommend the same as AlanHB. Just book a practice room nearby that has a PA. They don't cost much at all, and putting vocals through a guitar or bass amp does not sound good. I have tried it.
There is poetry in despair.
It seems like buying a decent PA would be more cost-effective, plus we wouldn't have to constantly be moving our gear. I don't think know if there's anything like that in our town anyway, it's not exactly huge.

Even if I have to eventually upgrade to the Shure, I still feel like the Behringer would be worth it for now, it's only twenty bucks, and I'm on a bit of a budget. I know the Shure would be better, but if the Behringer is even close to it in quality that is what I'd want. Basically, I'm asking if the Behringer is worth my time, cause it got a lot of good reviews.
But what people are saying to you is that they don't think it is, but you just keep ignoring that basicaly. And a decent PA will cost you a fair whack.

EDIT: And not that I have used that mic, I just wouldn't expect it to be great from Behringer's reputation. Usable perhaps. The reviews don't sound right to me. Whenever I see reviews that are like that, I always think they are posted by the company. Maybe that's just me being cynical, maybe that wouldn't be worth their time at all.
Last edited by fridge_raider at Feb 13, 2009,
Quote by fridge_raider
But what people are saying to you is that they don't think it is, but you just keep ignoring that basicaly. And a decent PA will cost you a fair whack.

EDIT: And not that I have used that mic, I just wouldn't expect it to be great from Behringer's reputation. Usable perhaps. The reviews don't sound right to me. Whenever I see reviews that are like that, I always think they are posted by the company. Maybe that's just me being cynical, maybe that wouldn't be worth their time at all.

Not one person had said anything about the Behringer, even though I asked multiple times. That's why I kept asking. Everyone just said the Shure was the way to go, not saying anything about the other makes. Obviously I know that the Shure is the standard, but I was looking for some specific insight into my situation: Low on cash, just for fun. But no one seems to be realizing this...

I appreciate the help, but I don't appreciate being treated like I'm disregarding that help.
People have replied:

Quote by AlanHB
It's extremely important that you buy a good quality mic. If you opt for the cheaper one, you will be extremely disappointed with the result. Go for the Shure. You will upgrade to it anyway once you see what a poor quality mic does.

the behringer is sh1t. SM58 ftw
Quote by dolphinfan2k5
Not one person had said anything about the Behringer, even though I asked multiple times. That's why I kept asking. Everyone just said the Shure was the way to go, not saying anything about the other makes. Obviously I know that the Shure is the standard, but I was looking for some specific insight into my situation: Low on cash, just for fun. But no one seems to be realizing this...

I appreciate the help, but I don't appreciate being treated like I'm disregarding that help.

Look at it this way, you're strapped for cash, and the Behringer is what, 20$? It's no big loss if you decide upgrade to the aforementioned Shure later on, or a condenser.

But if you get the Shure, go for a 57. Essentially the same thing minus the grill/pop screen.
Quote by dolphinfan2k5

Ok, get the Behringer. It will definitely sound amazing.

Seriously though, even if you get the Behringer and it's crap, what's $20? It's just money that could have been put towards something better, but you can always sell the Behringer if you're THAT strapped. People are going to go on and on telling you that Behringer gear is not built to last etc, but you're probably going to buy it anyway so you may as well go ahead. If it's good, bonus. If it breaks, lost $20. No massive biggie.