ok so i need a tube combo with a few requirements. it needs to be under 400 dollars used, have at least two footswitchable channels with a great clean sound and a good drive channel. i need it to sound good completely clean and extremely dirty. i'm going to be playing everything from jack johnson to dave matthews to hootie and the blowfish to led zeppelin and guns and roses. i need this thing to even funtion as an acoustic amp decently. so any ideas are appreciated and im deffinatly willing to go used.
dave matthews might.. just.. be.. god..

Quote by gregs1020
yes, pointing it at your head will send the sound towards your head.

it's the same with guns too, before you go testing that one.
Blues Junior?
███████████████████████████████████
Blues Junior
Blackheart Handsome Devil
Peavey Classic 30
+ Overdrive
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Sounds like you need a Crate V series. 200$ New.

EDIT: Or, you know, other, much better choices.
a great deal on a Peavey XXX!

I've seen them for $400 from time to time
Ibanez PGM100
Taylor 314-CE
Peters Chimera
Orange PPC212 w/ Celestion V30 and Celestion G12-75
Quote by Khoifish321
a great deal on a Peavey XXX!

I've seen them for $400 from time to time

I've never heard an acoustic through one of those but on the clean it was pretty shit...in my opinion of course.
i know the tone on all those amps are awesome but im really looking for a 2 channel amp. that would make things alot easier. because i'll need a guitar soon after so i'm trying to not have to buy a pedal too. because it would be a waste of money to buy a nice amp and a cheap overdrive. so that would be another 100 bucks

Quote by gregs1020

the ac15 doesnt have footswitchable channels. i think its 1 channel isnt it?

Quote by gregs1020

Quote by tona_107
I've never heard an acoustic through one of those but on the clean it was pretty shit...in my opinion of course.

He said he needs versatile, clean to "extremely dirty", the Blues Junior doesn't quite fit that bill either

The XXX is really versatile, sure the channels aren't phenomenal, but that's the price to pay when you want versatility. The cleans on it are fine, not amazing but usable, and I think it'd sound okay with an acoustic plugged through it. Hell, I plus my acoustic through my crappy Crate amp and it sounds pretty good. The clean channel is pretty functional on any amp if you know how to EQ properly.
Ibanez PGM100
Taylor 314-CE
Peters Chimera
Orange PPC212 w/ Celestion V30 and Celestion G12-75
The blues jr isnt built for extremely dirty tone, Id look elsewhere.
My Gear:

Fender Aerodyne Stratocaster
NOS Tweed Fender Blues Jr
Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
Quote by Khoifish321
He said he needs versatile, clean to "extremely dirty", the Blues Junior doesn't quite fit that bill either

The XXX is really versatile, sure the channels aren't phenomenal, but that's the price to pay when you want versatility. The cleans on it are fine, not amazing but usable, and I think it'd sound okay with an acoustic plugged through it. Hell, I plus my acoustic through my crappy Crate amp and it sounds pretty good. The clean channel is pretty functional on any amp if you know how to EQ properly.

True.
But in my opinion it's easier to get some dirt out of an amp like a blues junior than to try and deal with the crap cleans on an amp like a XXX.
maybe something from the B-52 AT line? I have one and i love the cleans and the gain. I've never tried to plug an acoustic into it tho. Combo could be had for around ur price.
ok so the blues junior is a no go. you know i've played the fender blues deluxe and it literally fits the bill perfect. and i keep getting excited on ebay until it jumps to 600 bucks in the last 10 minutes. any1 know if i can find this amp in my price range???

Quote by gregs1020

I just think it's funny that you guys are pretending like you can't play guns with a blues junior?
ok wait last minute feed back from tona says the junior is an option. you know to be honest man i agree with you. i've heard all the crap about fenders not doing dirty well, but how many here have honestly cranked a deville 412 with a les paul. puts marshall to shame.

Quote by gregs1020

Quote by uncboy19
ok wait last minute feed back from tona says the junior is an option. you know to be honest man i agree with you. i've heard all the crap about fenders not doing dirty well, but how many here have honestly cranked a deville 412 with a les paul. puts marshall to shame.

Thing is though, will you be able to crank it?
And to be honest, to get good dirt out of it you WILL need a pedal. So if a pedal isn't in your budget, and you need to play dirtier styles, I wouldn't get it.
BJrs are one channel and don't really do the marshall thing well. If you can deal with the single channel and the fact it won't do a very good GnR or Led zep sound then it could be a good amp for you.

Edit: I assume everyone who owns a tube amp owns an overdrive as well, it's essential to get enough dirt from a blues jr.

I'd look for a used classic 30, a used traynor ycv, or maybe. A crate v33 or the such would be good.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Last edited by Kevin Saale at Feb 12, 2009,
Quote by Kevin Saale
BJrs are one channel and don't really do the marshall thing well. If you can deal with the single channel and the fact it won't do a very good GnR or Led zep sound then it could be a good amp for you.

Edit: I assume everyone who owns a tube amp owns an overdrive as well, it's essential to get enough dirt from a blues jr.

I'd look for a used classic 30, a used traynor ycv, or maybe. A crate v33 or the such would be good.

Kevin is right about the voicing for sure.
take this man's advice, but the only one you'll likely be able to afford is the v33 (I don't know how much those amps cost in the states, but in canada the only one you would be able to afford is the crate.)
I think it would be worth it for you to save up a couple more bucks and get a classic 30 like kevin said.
ok fair enough but i wont be getting a 80 watt 412 anyways. so i really think the blues deluxe is the best option. maybe with a tube screamer or something later on. the problem is finding it in my price range or getting some more money without a job or the option of having a job for a while. im sick at acoustic any1 got any get rich quick schemes for that? haha

Quote by gregs1020

Quote by uncboy19
ok fair enough but i wont be getting a 80 watt 412 anyways. so i really think the blues deluxe is the best option. maybe with a tube screamer or something later on. the problem is finding it in my price range or getting some more money without a job or the option of having a job for a while. im sick at acoustic any1 got any get rich quick schemes for that? haha

Classic 30>Blues deluxe. Seriously, the cleans on the C30 are maybe a bit worse, but the drive is infinitely better, you wouldn't even need an overdrive pedal (although it's still highly recommended) if you got a C30. Then again, it's your money so I always suggest you try them yourself and decide which you prefer.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
yeah thats true. i'll try to try out as many of these amps as possible this weekend. i'm just trying to think of ideas.

Quote by gregs1020

If you liked the blues deluxe then it cant hurt to try the blues jr. I very rarely have it dirtier than a light natural OD so Im not the guy to listen to about its dirty side lol.
My Gear:

Fender Aerodyne Stratocaster
NOS Tweed Fender Blues Jr
Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for: