This summer i'm going on a trip to nashville for a camp electric (christian band camp, teach you stuff, concerts, etc.) and I'm flying so I need a new case. I was planning on just using my normal case but i've heard horror stories about instruments getting ruined on a flight so i need something really tough. Any ideas?
Quote by 2112pk
thank you for stoping this RIDICULOUS argument.
and standing on the side of truth.
but your princess is in another castle
just buy a hardshell case? theyre like 50 bucks
My Rig:
Yamaha RBX 375 bass
Peavey Millenium BXP bass (won at Summer Slaughter 2010, signed by all the bands)
Eden Nemesis NC410 320w combo amp
Check out Tyrannicide, my death/thrash metal band:
http://www.myspace.com/tyrannicidemetal
A standard hardshell case.

And if your asked to detune your instrument, just say you did already (you don't need too, and it'll save a hassel).
G&L ASAT Semi-Hollow
Ibanez SR305 DX
Washbrun XB100 (modified)
Ibanez SW35

Fender Telecaster (MIM)
Orange Crush 15R

Danelectro Corned Beef Reverb
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
I don't have a hard case, when i fly i just use my soft case and carry it on, you can either put it in the overhead or ask the waitress to put it in the coat closet at the front of the plane, its bad for your instrument to be in the depressurized environment anyways, especially acoustic guitars, you can use that as an excuse to carry it on if they won't let you, but they should let you, my friend does this as well
I have taken my guitar EVERYWHERE and they just let me keep it with me on the plane. I just put it in an overhead or in the closet when you first walk in.

or if you can't do that, just ask for a claim at the gate. once you get to the gate, they take your guitar and put it underneath so it is the last thing on the plane and the first thing off. once you get to wherever you are going, they give you your guitar once you walk off the plane.

i just had my guitar in a hardshell case. it's an acoustic guitar so i don't know if there will be any difference.
Yeah, if they won't let you carry on just tell them it's a fragile/expensive musical instrument and they'll make sure it's last on/first off. It'll be fine.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
my ibanez came with a flight ready case with special clip you have to turn instead of just pull on and a lock. maybe look for that too. of course obviously not an ibanez case unless you have one.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Planes have a cupboard that the flight attendants use to keep their jackets, and they'll normally put a guitar in there if you say pretty please, as MetalBass12 observed. Although he said waitresses, which cracks me up.

One of the things about the SKB cases mentioned above is that they have a universal lock, which customs have the key to, so in theory they can open it for inspections without using bolt clippers. Seems to me like an easy way to get your bass stolen, but forgive my cynicism.

One of the things about the SKB cases mentioned above is that they have a universal lock, which customs have the key to, so in theory they can open it for inspections without using bolt clippers. Seems to me like an easy way to get your bass stolen, but forgive my cynicism.

As mentioned above, it's insured - and you can show that there was a bass inside at the start, they'll have weighed it if you check it in. Besides, if someone's going to nick it, they'll just cut through the lock - Customs are allowed to do this anyway in order to check you haven't got half of Fifth Avenue in there.

I fly with my bass several times a year, to and from university. I'd really recommend that you get a flight case, not a hard case - something that can take knocks. My bass has survived, but it's had the strap locks broken once and has developed a few other flaws that I think come from heavy handling.

The trouble with trying to carry basses as hand luggage is that they're pretty damn big, and with a case are much bigger. What happens if you take it in a soft case, and then you can't take it onto the plane? You won't have much of a bass left after it goes through the baggage system in a soft case.

Classical musicians travelling with cellos/similar large instruments often book them a seat in order to get them onto the plane, for precisely this reason. It's always worth making contact with the airline and explicitly arranging that you can take it on board, rather than hoping once you get to the airport.