Page 1 of 2
ok guys here the thing. i am looking to buy a mesa boogie triple rec. it is a three channel. it is about 4-5 years old. its in pretty good shape. the guy wants $900 for it. he lives 4 hours away so we met up and he let me take it home for the week. it needed Rec tubes really really bad. they was loose. i changed them. the amp sounds great tone wise, but when it comes to gain/distortion it has next to none!! It is running el34 power tubes. they all glow the same. i dont know much about these amps. Before i even played it i brought it to the shop to get some tubes and see what they thought(this was b/f i noticed this problem) they said it was good, they played it with out any rec tubes. and also when i switch channels it makes this big popping sound. it does it if i use the foot switch or if i do it from the back. i thought it could have been the pot on the 3 chan. b/c it makes noise when i turn it, but there is not much gain on the second chan. and the first can is really low. i have to turn it up almost half way to hear it. but that is when the output is turned really low. could it be use the old power tubes? or preamp tube? or the Rec tubes i just put in be bad? do ya think its worth $900?
Fender Hightway one Texas Tele
Ibanez sc420 in black pearl
Ibanez sc320 in purple haha
Ibanez RG in black
Fender Squire ha my first guitar

Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier head
Marshall MG100 Halfstack
lots of PA stuff. all Yamaha
Quote by PollyWntsCrack
wait, this guy trusted you to bring his mesa home for a week??

yeah our bands played together a few times. so we kinda know each other. he knows i wouldnt screw him... now help please
Ibanez RG in black

Marshall MG100 Halfstack
Sounds like power tubes from the lack of volume, but preamp tubes from the lack of gain.

Probably both.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
if it has a handful of problems you should just look for a different amp, you can find dual recs all the time in that price range, triple recs are, imo, just overkill. 150 watts of tube is ridiculous
Gear:

MIA Fender Stratocaster
Jackson Kelly KE3
Ibanez Universe
Marshall JCM 800
Orange Jim Root Terror
Mesa 2x12
Ovation Custom Balladeer
pedals and such in profile
Quote by MatrixClaw
Sounds like power tubes from the lack of volume, but preamp tubes from the lack of gain.

Probably both.

ya think 900 is still a good deal? the preamp tubes are about $25 a piece? what kind of preamp tubes? i really dont know much about these amps.. i try to read up on them, but i cant find any good information for someone that really doenst know anything about tube amps.
Ibanez RG in black

Marshall MG100 Halfstack
Quote by cjb8200
ya think 900 is still a good deal?

No, if tubes does fix it, you're looking at ~$150 to replace them all, you could just buy a 2 channel with new tubes for that much and be much better off sound wise.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
No, if tubes does fix it, you're looking at ~$150 to replace them all, you could just buy a 2 channel with new tubes for that much and be much better off sound wise.

i need three channels, im in a three piece and i need a heavy and light gain... this would prob be the only used mesa i will find that i can play, i am scared to by anything on ebay that i cant play. i am wondering if it is worth the 150 and it work. so a mesa for 1200 that i know works, or one on ebay for 1500 that may have the same prob.... im not sure...
Ibanez RG in black

Marshall MG100 Halfstack
Quote by funkymonkz
if it has a handful of problems you should just look for a different amp, you can find dual recs all the time in that price range, triple recs are, imo, just overkill. 150 watts of tube is ridiculous

Ridiculously awesome.
I want a triple rec so bad, i'd say if the problem gets fixed do it if not go with a dual.
Retube it!

You don't need the rectiifier tubes in for it to work. Just flip the switch on the back to silicone diode and you bypass the rectifier tubes.

You do have the bias switch on the back set to el34 right? Also do you have the F/X loop bypassed? If you don't turn up the wet/dry knobs all the way up.

One last thing with the popping when you change channels. Whilst the amp is in stand-by cycle thruogh the channels a few times. than take it off stand-by and see if it still pops.

Let me know how it comes out.
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
Quote by funkymonkz

teh thing is though is that mesa's like to sag when there power amps start to distort, so really you need as much headroom as you can. especially live.
Personal take is that it's not worth $900 (but my opinion of Mesas are a bit lower than others, so understand I have a personal bias).

Probably needs all new tubes. Probably needs a good once over by a tech (expect a 4-5 hour job) to take care of things like that popping channel, scratchy pot, etc.

One thing to consider w/ the triple recto (and 150 watts)...

Going from 50 watts to 100 watts doesn't double your volume (it goes up by about 12%), so you're really not gaining anything going from a 50 or 100 watt to the 150. Consider looking for a dual channel amp somewhere and throw an OD pedal in front of the distortion channel for your "3rd channel". Or, depending on budget, a boost and an OD pedal in an FX loop.

$900 for a used amp (regardless of brand and my biases)...I'd expect it to work (and work well) at that price.

Just my 2 cents...

EDIT: And I should state, for the record, that I'm not against 150 watt heads. That's my dream is to someday have a soundproof room in my basement with dual fuall-stacks and a 150 watt head (or pair of heads). Rock the heck on....

Just wanted to speak up and spur thinking, that's all.
Quote by kcdakrt
DLrocket89 makes my ug experience better!

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

Kit Amp Building Tutorial
Last edited by DLrocket89 at Feb 13, 2009,
tried new tubes. did nothing. tubes not the problem.... the shop said it shouldn’t be anything major. a dirty contact or something... and the shop said that mesa sent out a bulletin that at low volumes when switching channels it will pop... anyone else with mesa's have this problem?
Ibanez RG in black

Marshall MG100 Halfstack
Quote by cjb8200
tried new tubes. did nothing. tubes not the problem.... the shop said it shouldn’t be anything major. a dirty contact or something... and the shop said that mesa sent out a bulletin that at low volumes when switching channels it will pop... anyone else with mesa's have this problem?

Dude it doesn't sound like it's worth it at all. Just keep searching for another Triple Rec or just go with the Duel Rec and boost the clean channel with an OD for light gain if you need to.
Again the popping during channel switching can be avoided. By turning the amp on, but still in stand-by and cycle through the channels on the footpedal a few times. This is a problem with all Mesas. It is due to a static buildup in the contacts on the channel switchers.

Go to the boogie board and do a search. You will see that my answer is the same one that's always given.
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
My dual rectifier did basically the exact same thing. It's in your preamp section, pretty darned shure anyways.

My dual rec is sitting at Mesa right now waiting to hear from them. I am pretty sure that it's not a major deal. I will let you know what was wrong with mine as soon as Mesa calls me, most likely it's the same thing with yours.
Jackson KE1F
Jackson KE2
Gibson Gothic Explorer
BC Rich Jr V deluxe

Engl Powerball full stack
Framus Cobra
VHT Pittbull CL50
I think 900 is a great price and I'd be willing to be your problem is not a big problem. Not an expensive one either. I'd say it's the tubes but what amp were you using before this amp? How much gain are you expecting it to have? A lot of people make the mistake of thinking a rec is more saturated than it actually is.
Quote by GNRjungle87
Dude it doesn't sound like it's worth it at all. Just keep searching for another Triple Rec or just go with the Duel Rec and boost the clean channel with an OD for light gain if you need to.

For whatever reason, I am getting you think a triple rect. is a 3 channel and a dual rec is a 2 channel?

The old rectifiers were 2 channel amps, regardless if it was a dual or triple version, which only refered to the power section. The newer rectifiers are 3 channels, regardless if the power section has dual pairs of 6L6's or a triple pair.
Jackson KE1F
Jackson KE2
Gibson Gothic Explorer
BC Rich Jr V deluxe

Framus Cobra
VHT Pittbull CL50
Quote by RJF
For whatever reason, I am getting you think a triple rect. is a 3 channel and a dual rec is a 2 channel?

The old rectifiers were 2 channel amps, regardless if it was a dual or triple version, which only refered to the power section. The newer rectifiers are 3 channels, regardless if the power section has dual pairs of 6L6's or a triple pair.

I know this. my answer was to the guy that said to get a 2 channel with new tubes for cheaper. he was talking about the old triple rec. some say they sound better than the 3 channels. but i need three channels.

The only reason i am still trying to do what i can to buy this amp is bc i have been looking for a use triple or duel for awhile and i cant find one where im from. not many people have them around here, and the ones that do dont want to sell them. i had to drive 3 hours to get this one. and the tubes are not the problem. and i did try to switch between channels when it was on standby. it did not work, but i didnt do it alot. i will try it again when i get it back from the shop. i think i will just give the guy $800 for it. the pre amp and power tubes are good. so that a few hundred dollars i will save. the shop said it should cost about $60 to fix, but i dont think they know too too much. i think i will take my chances. i dont think i will find one that i can play for this price again. i still got a few days to decide.
Ibanez RG in black

Marshall MG100 Halfstack
Where do you live in Louisiana? I could always find you an authorized Mesa repair shop. If you don't trust your local shop.

Edit: I'll add these they might be closer than you think.

Dealer Address City State Zipcode Phone
Red River Music 5731 Jackson St. Ext. Alexandria LA 71303 (318) 443-6365
C&M Music Center 7856 Florida Blvd. Baton Rouge LA 70806 (225) 935-0044
Guitar Center 1000 S. Clearview Pkwy #.1040 Harahan LA 70123 (504) 818-0338
C&M Music Center 2515 Williams Blvd. Kenner LA 70062 (504) 468-8688
C&M Music Center 5427 Johnston St Lafayette LA 70503 (337) 989-2838
C&M Music Center 1723 N. Causeway Service Rd. Mandeville LA 70471 (985) 626-3920
Last edited by boxcarmonument at Feb 17, 2009,
Quote by boxcarmonument
Where do you live in Louisiana? I could always find you an authorized Mesa repair shop. If you don't trust your local shop.

Edit: I'll add these they might be closer than you think.

Dealer Address City State Zipcode Phone
Red River Music 5731 Jackson St. Ext. Alexandria LA 71303 (318) 443-6365
C&M Music Center 7856 Florida Blvd. Baton Rouge LA 70806 (225) 935-0044
Guitar Center 1000 S. Clearview Pkwy #.1040 Harahan LA 70123 (504) 818-0338
C&M Music Center 2515 Williams Blvd. Kenner LA 70062 (504) 468-8688
C&M Music Center 5427 Johnston St Lafayette LA 70503 (337) 989-2838
C&M Music Center 1723 N. Causeway Service Rd. Mandeville LA 70471 (985) 626-3920

Lafayette. its at C&M. the guy is really kool, but i hear from people that they dont know much about tube amps. they the only on if lafayette that work on them though... at least thats what i heard
Ibanez RG in black

Marshall MG100 Halfstack
At least they are a authorized repair center. So they have a direct line to mesa to figure out any problems.

Good luck.
yeah i think i will just let them fix it. they should be able to do it
Ibanez RG in black

Marshall MG100 Halfstack
Are you not going to try to pop some preamp tubes in before you pay to get it fixed? It won't be a waste of money. First of all you are going to need those pre amp tubes later on anyway so if that's not the problem you can simply keep them as backup. They don't cost much either.
Quote by hcsn2008
Are you not going to try to pop some preamp tubes in before you pay to get it fixed? It won't be a waste of money. First of all you are going to need those pre amp tubes later on anyway so if that's not the problem you can simply keep them as backup. They don't cost much either.

yeah i plan on changing them all if it doesn't cost to much to fix the gain problem i am having.
Ibanez RG in black

Marshall MG100 Halfstack
I would go ahead and replace the tubes with a JJ Mesa Triple recto set.

IMO, it sounds like you only need preamp tubes. Those have the biggest impact on your tone. If those are replaced and and you're still having tonal problems and such, I would consider getting the amp replaced.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Yeah sounds like this amp has not been messed with in a while because you said the rec tubes needed replaced. I bet your problem is just the preamp tubes. If the amp works but you aren't getting the gain you should that's probably it. But you might want to check out another mesa triple rec so you know how they are supposed to sound. It's not as saturated as what some people think. Especially without a lot of power amp gain.
Quote by MESAexplorer
I would go ahead and replace the tubes with a JJ Mesa Triple recto set.

IMO, it sounds like you only need preamp tubes. Those have the biggest impact on your tone. If those are replaced and and you're still having tonal problems and such, I would consider getting the amp replaced.

we switched the preamp tubes with new once and that did not solve the problem. the amp is NOT HAVING TONE PROBLEMS. The mesa tone IS THERE. just not the GAIN that a mesa should have. it is lacking gain in both channel two and three. the tech said its prob just dirty pots bc the amp has been sitting up. he said it may just need a good one over. change a resistor or capasitor or chean the pots. the only other thing i can think of is that the sockets may be bad, but the preamp tubes are glowing evenly. so we all understand that is not the pre amp tubes? or atleast thats not the whole problem...
Ibanez RG in black

Marshall MG100 Halfstack
Well, if you know the answer just do it, no need to post a thread about it.

Mesa's dont have as much gain as everyone thinks. Honestly, I don't know of any pro's who don't boost their mesas. Not to mention, Mesa tubes suck horribly.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Last edited by MESAexplorer at Feb 18, 2009,
Quote by MESAexplorer
Mesa's dont have as much gain as everyone thinks. Honestly, I don't know of any pro's who don't boost their mesas. Not to mention, Mesa tubes suck horribly.

What are you talking about? I think its funny how people piss all over Mesa here just because they're not "tight" and not the best amp for Modern/grunting/sausage fest metal. There are plenty of bands that use em without a boost.
Epi Les Paul-APH1/Mean 90
MIM Strat

Korg DTR1000
ADA MP-1
Mesa/Boogie Quad Pre
Mesa/Boogie Midi Matrix
<power amp>

Quote by rhcp_freak
If you're EQ'd loose, you'll sound loose anyway.
Thats not true. I piss on Mesas because I think they sound like bees in a can.
Quote by MESAexplorer
Well, if you know the answer just do it, no need to post a thread about it.

well the thing is when i posted the thread i didnt know the answer. and i still dont, all i know is that its not the pre amp tubes. people said to change them, i tried and it did nothing... so now im just wondering if anyone else has had this problem with there mesa, and it was not the pre amp tubes.
Ibanez RG in black

Marshall MG100 Halfstack
Quote by occub
What are you talking about? I think its funny how people piss all over Mesa here just because they're not "tight" and not the best amp for Modern/grunting/sausage fest metal. There are plenty of bands that use em without a boost.

Who uses a mesa and doesn't boost it??

And i'm not talking jamming before a show or anything, I'm talking full on live set, non boosted mesa? Specifically a recto, the Mark IV has much more saturation, and doesn't need to be boosted, but does sound better when boosted.

Don't think I'm pissing on mesa because of the brand. I've owned 3 (F-100, Mark IV, and Road King) and have played a Subway Blues, Heartbreaker, Nomad, Mark III, Single, Dual and Triple Recto, Stiletto Ace and Deuce, Dual Caliber, Roadster, and Triaxis. I believe that is more experience than you would have with them, not to mention making my opinion less partial towards the brand in particular.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by cjb8200
well the thing is when i posted the thread i didnt know the answer. and i still dont, all i know is that its not the pre amp tubes. people said to change them, i tried and it did nothing... so now im just wondering if anyone else has had this problem with there mesa, and it was not the pre amp tubes.

Sorry about my post earlier confronting the post, I was a little irritated at how you fired back when I didn't know about you trying preamp tubes.

Keep it in mind, Mesa's don't have as much overall gain as one would think. You can get more saturation out of a Splawn on Gear 2 with the gain at half, Bogner Alchemist at about half, Krank's on about halfway or less at half and so on.

They get their chunk from their lack of gain and the use of an overdrive. The reason for an overdrive is because you can't crank a mesa without people dying. Using better built cabs than standard mesa cabs helps a lot too. I prefer running a recto into 2 2x12's or the Roadking 4x12, or a boutique cab.

When there is a gain deficiency, like way below normal, its 95% of the time preamp problems because they are so well built. You might want to check for corrosion where the pins connect in the tubes (power tubes)

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
Who uses a mesa and doesn't boost it??

And i'm not talking jamming before a show or anything, I'm talking full on live set, non boosted mesa? Specifically a recto, the Mark IV has much more saturation, and doesn't need to be boosted, but does sound better when boosted.

Don't think I'm pissing on mesa because of the brand. I've owned 3 (F-100, Mark IV, and Road King) and have played a Subway Blues, Heartbreaker, Nomad, Mark III, Single, Dual and Triple Recto, Stiletto Ace and Deuce, Dual Caliber, Roadster, and Triaxis. I believe that is more experience than you would have with them, not to mention making my opinion less partial towards the brand in particular.

ok guys lets stop with the mean words... i plan on using the gain from the amp. i dont play metal so i dont need a lot of it. i play punk/rock kinda stuff.... the gain a working mesa has is plenty for me... but lets stick to the topic at hand.... MESAexplorer, ya got a lot of experience with alot of amps. Have you ever had a problem like this... i bet not b.c it looks like you take great care of you stuff. this amp was very dusty and dirty. it had been sitting up... either way it is in the shop so i dont know why i am asking anymore... i will find out soon, but i dont know what to expect on price.... i will let yall know what the problem turns out to be.. thanks for the help..
Ibanez RG in black

Marshall MG100 Halfstack
Quote by MESAexplorer
Sorry about my post earlier confronting the post, I was a little irritated at how you fired back when I didn't know about you trying preamp tubes.

Keep it in mind, Mesa's don't have as much overall gain as one would think. You can get more saturation out of a Splawn on Gear 2 with the gain at half, Bogner Alchemist at about half, Krank's on about halfway or less at half and so on.

They get their chunk from their lack of gain and the use of an overdrive. The reason for an overdrive is because you can't crank a mesa without people dying. Using better built cabs than standard mesa cabs helps a lot too. I prefer running a recto into 2 2x12's or the Roadking 4x12, or a boutique cab.

When there is a gain deficiency, like way below normal, its 95% of the time preamp problems because they are so well built. You might want to check for corrosion where the pins connect in the tubes (power tubes)

ok thanks.. what is the difference in Cabs? 2X12 or $X12.. sound i mean... i like alot of lows. can a 2X12 be enough for me? i dont plan on playing extremly loud at shows, we mic everything.... i would think a high end 2X12 would be better for me..
Ibanez RG in black

Marshall MG100 Halfstack
The Roadking I bought was in pretty rough shape at first. It was in a storage unit for about 3 years. It had leaves in the back of it and all kinds of stuff. I opened up the chassis, cleaned it thoroughly and replaced the tubes and it sounded fine. I wouldn't think caps would be the problem, nor pots. Mesa uses pretty large pots, and orange drop caps, high quality stuff. Opening the amp up will show you if it's rusty or not. Humidity will kill an amp almost as quick as dropping it down the stairs. Keep it unplugged for a day or so before you go poking around inside of the wiring though, it'll still shock you hours after it's been plugged up. Check for some solid connections, loose wires, corrosion, burns in PCB specifically around the tubes, any obvious problems.

As far as cabs go, if you want a Mesa cab to match the head, get the roadking cab. easily their best cabs, and one of the better cabs on the market. They come in both 2x12 and 4x12, and lack the looseness that standard recto and mesa OS cabs have. Running a solid combo of 2x12's is the most optimal, such as a ported cab like a G-flex and an enclosed cab like just about everything on the market. It really opens your sound up giving you a good combination of tightness and liveliness.

A single 2x12 will suffice. I would avoid Carvin, their cabs are quite dinky. They sound alright, but they're just toooo small. B-52 builds a good 2x12 cab with V30's, especially for the price. There are many options out there though.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by cjb8200

Like I said, it is likely a simple problem and it's the same exact problem I am having with my Dual rec. The preamp tubes are NOT the culprit, nor are any of the other tubes.

Buy the head for as cheap as you can, I'll post up as soon as Mesa calls me and says whats wrong with mine, you run yours down to your local repair guy, repair guy does same thing to yours that Mesa is doing to fix mine, and wala... Lots-o-gain.
Jackson KE1F
Jackson KE2
Gibson Gothic Explorer
BC Rich Jr V deluxe

Framus Cobra
VHT Pittbull CL50
Quote by RJF
Like I said, it is likely a simple problem and it's the same exact problem I am having with my Dual rec. The preamp tubes are NOT the culprit, nor are any of the other tubes.

Buy the head for as cheap as you can, I'll post up as soon as Mesa calls me and says whats wrong with mine, you run yours down to your local repair guy, repair guy does same thing to yours that Mesa is doing to fix mine, and wala... Lots-o-gain.

ha ok thanks. yeah the guy will only go down to $800. he knows alittle more than me. he doesnt think it is a big deal. but yeah keep me updated. i will do the same
Ibanez RG in black

Marshall MG100 Halfstack
Page 1 of 2