...that a tune you composed might be already recorded? Like it sounds familiar? Too good to be composed by you?

What do you do to make sure you haven't copied someone elses work, subconsciously of course?

h.
i listen 2 whatever song i think it sounds like and if its really close, i dont bother with writing anymore
Quote by Mad Mike 829
i listen 2 whatever song i think it sounds like and if its really close, i dont bother with writing anymore

Yeah, but what if you don't know what song does it sounds like? It just seems to, but you can't remember. Maybe because it doesn't. I don't know.
I used to do that all the time when I started writing. I wrote like 20 different songs and all of them were pretty much copied. Just play it for alot of people if you can, and if you have access to recording stuff that can help if you post it. But if you can't do neither, you know that you didn't intend to copy so just keep it until you find out what song it is that you might've copied. If it is really really similar, change some stuff up. If it's not that alike, (different lyrical mood, different riffs, just the same chord progression or something), **** it. Often times I'll just add stuff to it or move it up/down the fret board to get a differenter sound.