So I finally got round to putting one of these together. I'm sorry for the delay. Enjoi.

Boys Night Out - Make Yourself Sick

This one probably won’t sit so well with a number of you. In fact, in a number of ways, this doesn't sit quite right with me. Boys Night Out rank as one of the worst live bands I’ve ever seen, and despite a degree of promise in their first two releases, they seem to have dwindled into a kind of mediocrity normally reserved for Fuelled By Ramen’s latest flavour of the week.

Still, cynicism aside, let me tell you about one of my most listened to albums of recent years. "Make Yourself Sick" is quintessentially a pop album, despite being littered with scenes of suicide and destruction, Lovat-Fraser’s well-groomed vocal leaves no room to dispute the poptastic tendencies of this record.

Lyrically, the record is pointed and bitter. There is no room for sprawling dialogues of loss and heartache, but the frequent wit of L.F. is enough to satisfy my thirst for lyrical content. Highlights include the album’s opener “I Got Punched in the Nose for Sticking My Face in Other People’s Business” which storms in with an analogy of love I believe every one of us can relate to in some sense (“You and me, you know that we were always funny in a car crash sort of way”). Whilst deeper into the record, the morbid and morose “Hold On Tightly, Let Go Lightly” grimly deals with a life reaching its end, and the brevity of such a moment. Coincidently, it stands out as the second-shortest song on the record.

A light listen, which for me leaves a great sense of satisfaction for long periods after listening. Its brevity means it’s difficult to over-listen, and the unique way in which this record combines pop and post-hardcore makes it a winner in my book.

For the record, my two favourite BNO songs actually feature on their debut EP “Broken Bones and Bloody Kisses”. If you have an opportunity, be sure to listen to “A Torrid Love Affair” and “Victor vs. The Victim”.

Over and out!

Dave
Last edited by fake_sk8r182 at Feb 12, 2009,
This album has always been a guilty pleasure for me. It doesn't really fit in with anything I listen to (anymore), but I still listen to it semi regularly. I think it's the screaming.

Anyways, pretty good album and I'm a tad surprised to see it as a AOTM.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
It's not the first time I hear they suck live, cause I have witnessed it myself.

It is also not the first time I hear that this band sucks in general.

I guess I have always had a soft spot for BNO, I love them man.

MYS was good, but I honestly think Trainwreck was genius....kinda.
Quote by NeverMeant
Sometimes I feel like I won't care if my girlfriend dies because then I won't have to worry about her becoming pregnant.
By far their best album in my opinion. And yeah, I was a bit surprised to see it as AOTM too... but I like surprises.

They do suck live, and then they try to make up for it by being mildly entertaining, but it doesn't quite work.

Decent album regardless.
Quote by fake_sk8r182
None of the stuff I've picked up recently would fit in here at all, so I decided to throw in another blast from the past, y'know?

Def!
Quote by NeverMeant
Sometimes I feel like I won't care if my girlfriend dies because then I won't have to worry about her becoming pregnant.
Doesn't sound like my kinda thing, but I'll give 'em a listen.
I'm the type of nigga that's built to last
If you fuck with me, I'll put my foot in your ass
See, I don't give a fuck cause I keep bailin
Yo, what the fuck are they yellin?!

GANGSTA, GANGSTA
Can I write one?
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Go for it man.
there is no fear in this heart.

Quote by ETHANEVIL
How am I being or trying to be fabulous/glamorous?