Page 1 of 4
UPDATES ON ALL PAGES

*sigh* OK, so I finally got around to making a thread for my build.=]

Now, I would imagine many if you are wondering just what exactly a precision strat, as I call it, is. Basically, it's a Precision Bass body with a Strat neck.;]...arouses one's curiosity, no?XD Of course scale length and neck pocket issues arise from this combination but I'm working those things out, don't you worry.=p

Anyway, here's some specs:

Pine four-piece body made of 2x4's...ok well they are more like 1.5x3.5's, but you get it.=p
21 fret maple neck w/ maple fretboard and 70's style headstock
Single humbucker (GFS most likely)
Killswitch made from an old light switch (no volumes or tones)
TOM bridge(possibly recessed) w/ a top-mount hardtail acting as a tailpiece
Definitely going to put some kind of graphic on the body and possibly a sticker on the 12th fret.=p idk Clandestine, A7X or maybe the supra shoes logo...^_^ sounds good, right?
as for color, I'm thinking black/purple or black/green

Oh yeah! and the pickguard is going to be made of cardboard.XD thanks...thanks, I know.

PICS!

Quick sketch of the whole thing

Woods

Lightswitch

and of course Mr. Pickguard (2 layers of cardboard for extra durability!!!>=)

BTW, all the money I've spent so far was for the neck which was $44 including tuning machines and string guides so.=p...not bad IMO.

Tell me what you hate about it!=]

Current Status:
(Body fully cut and routed-needs...uh...work.=p, headstock needs logo and finish, pickguard needs finish, I need to order hardware and pickup)
Last edited by Weavel33 at Nov 22, 2009,
yeah...=]

Is it too 100GBP-ish for you?=p

If the cardboard doesn't work out, I'm sure I could use something else...maybe a scrap of veneer I have laying around.=/
Last edited by Weavel33 at Feb 12, 2009,
I see nothing wrong with a pine guitar, the first Teles were made of pine (See chuckflan's build) and it's quite nice sounding, if you believe in tonewoods on an electric. Though, the cardboard might not hold up so well... It'll absorb all sorts of moisture and stuff.
Quote by tjfishrocker
Coolcat i want to make love to you right now.

Quote by Natrone

Anyone else see the irony in smashing a guitar that says "peace and love" ?
yeah, I heard the pine was actually a pretty decent tonewood.=/

well, I plan on clear coating the cardboard just a few times...will that not stop some of it? plus it's not going to be a boring ol' brown...I'm going to put some kind of pattern over it...whether it be paper or some kind of fabric, idk.
Pine is fine for guitars, you just have to have GOOD pine, without knots and imperfections, i can see those pieces of wood causing you a world of troubles.
I could see the pine warping easily because of the knots, especially if it hasnt been dried properly.

I'd say just save up for some nice adler, you'd get a better result out of that.

I like the idea of the cardboard as a pickguard though, its awesome
hehe thanks.=p

but it's been in my basement ever since my house was built...liek 7 years ago.>.>
Dude, it's a 100gbp build. Don't worry about it. Go for it. The least you could do is try.
Quote by conor1148
who cares if they're drawn,

boobies

Gear:
Peavey Supreme 100W head
Crate 4x12 cab
Epiphone Les Paul Standard+
Modded Johnson Stratocaster
thanks, I will.=p

Anyway, seeing as I do not have access to a router, band saw, or clamps that are wide enough to get those too pieces of wood clamped...etc, it is apparent that I will need to find someone w/ a nice wood shop for doing all these things. Therefore, I will most likely be heading to the house of a relative of mine this month with all my stuff...and hopefully the neck will be here sometime within the next week.=]
Alright, update on the pickguard.=p I plan on documenting this thoroughly so that if it turns out well then anyone who wants to use cardboard for theirs can sort of have a guide.=p...not really that hard...but.=/

anyway, I have cut the outlines on both layers.

As you can see, the top layer(right) has the markings for cutting out the humbucker, killswitch and neck slots, whereas the bottom layer(left=p) still has the p-bass neck outline. So what I plan on doing is cutting out the neck, humbucker and killswitch holes on the top layer and then using it as a template for the bottom. And then of course glueing.=]
how can you mark for the neck when it hasnt arrived?

and i really recommend a volume pot
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
because I've already got a neck w/ the same specs...I actually just traced the pickguard of it though.;]

eh...the killswitch doubles as a volume for me...I'm not one to have a volume knob set on anything but 0 or 10.=p...especially with only a bridge pickup.
I think you should put a volume knob anyway.
I guarantee you'll want it at some point.
So your nine and making a guitar out of pine and card board? Makes sense. I doubt the light switch will work though especially without a volume pot.
"Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo."
Quote by Weavel33
...um...how would you just...know that?=/

Because your tastes in music will change. And it's convenient to be able to change the volume of your guitar without heading all the way over to your amp.
Or maybe your running through a few different devices that are all outputting sound, and you want to turn down your overall sound, so you just use one knob rather than all the devices. I dunno.
Maybe there's a quieter spot in a song you're playing
Maybe you will want to do a volume swell at some point during this guitar's life.

I just think you'll end up having a time where you could use it.
Quote by Gibshall
So your nine and making a guitar out of pine and card board? Makes sense. I doubt the light switch will work though especially without a volume pot.

first build...cardboard=innexpesive>>what have I got to lose? pine=a tonewood...=p

actually, I'm 8...which makes this even more AMAZING!=]...as to the whole volume pot thing...worst case scenario, I have to buy a volume pot...oh no...=_=

Quote by Duval67
Because your tastes in music will change. And it's convenient to be able to change the volume of your guitar without heading all the way over to your amp.
Or maybe your running through a few different devices that are all outputting sound, and you want to turn down your overall sound, so you just use one knob rather than all the devices. I dunno.
Maybe there's a quieter spot in a song you're playing
Maybe you will want to do a volume swell at some point during this guitar's life.

I just think you'll end up having a time where you could use it.

like you said, I can add one if necessary...=] just a matter of drilling a hole in the pickguard. for now though, I'll stick w/ what I got...this is a 100gbp build.
Last edited by Weavel33 at Feb 24, 2009,
Mk, update...

Today I received a neck in the mail...yeah...a neck...meaning, not the one I ordered. It had a rosewood fretboard instead of maple, so I'm sending it back, and who knows how long it'll be until I get the one I actually paid for.>=/

I'd rather it be with me when I'm cutting/routing the body at my relative's house...so we'll see how things go.
Last edited by Weavel33 at Feb 17, 2009,
me too!=] So far everything is going quite smoothly...besides the mistaken neck thing. The guy said he'd go ahead and send me the right neck, so it shouldn't be more then 3 days.

I just drilled the holes for the killswitch screws and thankfully they were perfectly lined up with it.

The cardboard is SOLID! wood glue FTW! cheapest way of making a pickguard.XD
mah thanks.=]

I'm trying to work out how I'm going to finish the guard, herself...brown is nasty IMO...well...at least in this case.=p
Last edited by Weavel33 at Feb 19, 2009,
you drilled cardboard? You know you could have bought some plexiglass for like $5 at a hardware store?

Please put a volume knob in, you going to tell me your never going to turn the guitar down for fade in and outs etc, you will need one
This is actually looking hella sick. (I mean really, a cardboard pickguard, how ghetto is that?? XD)
Tell me how the pine is, tonally, when you're finished with it. I've got a load of clear redwood laying around, which is close to the density of pine. So they should be similar in tone.
Quote by conor1148
who cares if they're drawn,

boobies

Gear:
Peavey Supreme 100W head
Crate 4x12 cab
Epiphone Les Paul Standard+
Modded Johnson Stratocaster
Quote by guitarcam123
you drilled cardboard? You know you could have bought some plexiglass for like $5 at a hardware store?

Please put a volume knob in, you going to tell me your never going to turn the guitar down for fade in and outs etc, you will need one

Well then I saved myself $5, didn't I?XD Besides, I wanted to be a little different.=]

ehh...look, if I really want a volume knob I can easily add one...it's just a matter of drilling a hole in the guard and well...buying a volume pot.=/

You do notice that the switch takes up a fair amount of room under there.>.>

Quote by Emoishboy
This is actually looking hella sick. (I mean really, a cardboard pickguard, how ghetto is that?? XD)
Tell me how the pine is, tonally, when you're finished with it. I've got a load of clear redwood laying around, which is close to the density of pine. So they should be similar in tone.

Yeah, actually, I'm more worried about the wood then the pickguard.=p...not too worried, but my relative has liek...a really nice woodshop and he's used to more eh..."class A" projects...my woods aren't really up there.XD
um...a hand drill?XD...for the screw holes anyway...which leaves a bit of sanding to do on both sides...just cause cardboard does bend somewhat.

as for the pickup, neck and general outline, I used a box cutting knife thing, and scissors.=p

for the output jack hole I started with a paper hole puncher to get a nice clean hole, and then used a larger drill bit to expand it, thus avoiding a rough/uneven hole.
You can call this the junkcaster. Not saying its junk, just saying you're making it out of random junk lying around.
The pickgaurd actually looks sweet with the screws for the lightswitch.
Are you going to paint the pickgaurd at all?
superman is killing himself tonight
um...yes...raw brown cardboard is UGLY imo.=] It doesn't have a natural grain or anything.=p
hehe...yeah, besides that though, I think it would be prone to absorbing moisture, getting dirty, getting bent...etc...clear coats are my friend.
Page 1 of 4