Is Improvisation, at its simplest, just playing any notes on a scale?
If you use licks from any outside source or ones you've made up previously, is it still improv?
Is it possible to transfer from to scale to scale while doing some improv?
No. Improv, at it's best, is reacting to what your musical counterpoint is doing within a common scale.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
I don't consider playing a set scale improvising. Playing what comes out of your fingertips and on to the fret board and making it sound good would be my definition.
for transferring between scales, what are the major ideas in it that i should know, is just one of the things you just kinda do or is there more to it. if anyone has any good articles or websites about improv that i could be directed to, that would be fantastic
thank you all
The information in my sig would be nice to know.

As you said, you just kind of do it. I switch between natural minor, harmonic minor, minor pentatonic, and minor blues constantly in my solos. You need to know when the various notes sound good and you will learn that over time, but you reach a point where you know what sound you want and your finger and pick go there; it's weird but really cool.
Quote by 3Dpaper
If you use licks from any outside source or ones you've made up previously, is it still improv?

well improv is actually probably around 90% not made up completely on the spot. in improv what you are doing really is using things you've done in the past. so scale runs, stock phrases you know, certain licks, arpeggios, etc... would all go in. yu wouldnt just play complete random notes in a scale. basically you take these things you have practiced and fit them all together in new ways that fit the song. sometimes though yes there are going to be things you just made up and have never done before. but that probably wont sound good until you are a skilled improviser. eventually you start to just know what things will sound like. and over time, you will be able to play more outside of your stock phrases and runs.

its still improv though because it isnt a pre planned, written out solo. thats what they mean by improvising. im sure if you ever watch improv comics that they have stock ideas already in their head. thats why they have improv classes. but again, when they are performing, there isnt a plan already set out like a script.

yes it is possible to switch scales. i do it all the time. that requires knowledge of the chords in the background and jus knowing what fits where. i mostly play blues but i dont just stick to the pentatonic. i usually switch between that and modes like the dorian, mixolydian, phrygian and aeolian(natural minor). and depending on the song i can usually tell which ones would sound better. like if its a minor blues, i probably would use a major sounding mode. i would stick to minor sounding ones or maybe soe harmonic minor in some places. or you can use chord tones to accent the chord you are playing over and change the scale to go with the chord. but agan, this is still stuff ive practiced in the past. so its not all made up randomly on the spot. i have some standard moves for going in and out of scales.
Quote by \m/Angus\m/
I don't consider playing a set scale improvising. Playing what comes out of your fingertips and on to the fret board and making it sound good would be my definition.

Whilst simply "playing a scale" isn't improvising, constructing a melody from the notes of that scale is.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Technically - playing anything without a predetermined plan is improvisation. Just hitting random notes on the fretboard is improvisation.

Improvising, while staying in a certain key and making it sound interesting, is another story.
Gear

Gibson '57 Les Paul Reissue
Marshall TSL 601
EHX: Big Muff, Metal Muff, Small Stone, POG, 2880
Ibanez TS808
Voodoo Labs Microvibe
Analogman Chorus
Morley Bad Horsie II
Keeley Compressor (C4)
Nova Delay
MXR 10-band EQ
yer improve is just making stuff up on the spot. but it does sound rubbish and no one will like you if you play random notes ( unless it sounds good ). what i do is get a scale and use the notes in that to find a intressting melody and the rest will come then i write the melody i made then next day i come bak to my notes and carry on and make a solo so thats how i would use improv ( sorry i just babbled on after what you wanted to know :L
Quote by bainsy911
yer improve is just making stuff up on the spot. but it does sound rubbish and no one will like you if you play random notes ( unless it sounds good

lol
my take///

improv is a mindset...you make up a verbal or written story...that could be considered improv...for me jazz is the ultimate vehicle for improv...you are using all the "rules" of music to break them or go beyond them...to be able to do it skillfully takes work...its not just playing notes at random...

i will play a standard "heres that rainy day" in the key of G...there are several key changes in the song...going to the new key of Eb...i will set up the change by experimenting within the solo...i will use part of the melody, arpeggios, scale runs etc..all the while i know im going to a new key in a few bars...i introduce that part of the key change with these harmonic devices..i may add chromatic tones, alter the chord arpeggios, play a half step over or under the tonic . play part of the melody in the new key, then alter the notes, sharp or flat...all the while i know im going back to the "head" of the song in i few bars so i prepare it..perhaps by using ii7 V7 arpeggios or parts of the tonic scale (modes)...

you are experimenting...you don't know how its going to sound...but you discover how it sounds...along with the listener if you are performing live..

in the beginning you may feel lost...scared...like taking the lines off the road as there is no guide to tell you where to go...you are on your own..in time you will develope confidence to face almost any musical task...

but...constant practice and determination are tools you must employ to experience the freedom of improvisation..

play well

wolf
Quote by 3Dpaper

1) No, there is more to it than "just playing any notes on a scale", though it is true that "any notes" could be involved. Essentially, in regards to musicians improvising.... it means composing on the spot.

2) Yes, it could be, assuming that you're actually improvising with those licks.

3) Ofcourse.... it's possible to do anything that you can imagine and have the skills to execute.

Quote by Guitartist
Technically - playing anything without a predetermined plan is improvisation. Just hitting random notes on the fretboard is improvisation.

Improvising, while staying in a certain key and making it sound interesting, is another story.

Not exactly true. By that definition a 3 year old that bangs on a piano is "improvising". I don't think that qualifies. Improvising has to do with coming up with things on the spot, rather than planning them out and revising them. It's true the plan isn't predetermined, but there can be a plan, it's not just random whatever..... it's planned on the spot.... as it happens.
If you've ever seen "what's my line".... (or something like that .... Drew Cary's in it)...
those guys are improvising, but with comedy. They come up with their bit right there. It takes skill, whether it's music, or comedy, or whatever.
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Feb 13, 2009,
I think the 3 year old is improvising. There's a joy in the music of small children, one that's quickly stamped out.

I think this because of the way I define improvisation: Not as something you do or do not, but as a process, something which applies, in various degrees, to the sound you make. A player in a symphony playing the standard fare improvises very little, but he does: there is a variation in his performance that is related to the ephemeral present condition (the day, his mood, the location, season, astrology, whatever). The guys in the New York loft jazz scene of the 70s who just went up and played? They improvised a lot.

Of course - this doesn't change people's expectations and if they expect you to perform their idea of improvisation than you should learn that if you want to run with them.
It really doesn't matter what you think improvising is.. theres a definition for this word

1. to compose and perform or deliver without previous preparation; extemporize: to improvise an acceptance speech.
2. to compose, play, recite, or sing (verse, music, etc.) on the spur of the moment.

has nothing to do with sounding good, playing in Key, playing using scales, knowing what you're doing.
thx every1, is there a sticky or thread about improv i missed?
Last edited by 3Dpaper at Feb 13, 2009,
Quote by strat0blaster
No. Improv, at it's best, is reacting to what your musical counterpoint is doing within a common scale.
Unless you're bach, counterpoint isn't improvised. Counterpoint is the art of combining two or more independent melodies. You need to follow some rules to do this effectively, which is a bit hard when you're improvising.

1. I guess...
2. Arguable. imo, no. Improvisation is writting a melody on the spot, not amalgamating premade licks.
3. Yes, but it's sort of hard to do.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.