I dont know much about amps and even less about doctor Z amps. What do you guys think of them. Im gonna be running a Taylor T5 through it and use it for mostly cleans, except for when I use my TS9. Stylistically I guess im going to be playing mostly countryish kinda stuff (i see everyone rolling their eyes at me already lol). I heard Dr Z was good for that style and a lot of bigger Nashville names are using them and Matchless amps, but those are waaaay outta my price range. Im definitely looking into getting like an $1800 model. so anyone play around with one of these babies yet?
Only thing I know about them is that Brad Paisley uses them. Paisley has some seriously awesome tone.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Dr. Z is known for it's great cleans, I don't think you can go wrong. I'd also look at a Vox AC15, that's been a staple of country music for a long time I think.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Ummm Dr. Z amp are the best Classic Rock,Blues amps

What is your Maximum Budget ???
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
It might put me in the poor house, but whatever thats what personal bank loans are for lol. My max budget would probably be $2000, with a little extra if I absolutely had to. I was also considering a Fender Twin Reverb (deluxe??) reissue.
Don't, DR. Z will blow those fenders away. I've heard nothing but great things about allen amps as well, though I don't know where you'd try one. Allen amps makes fender clones.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
I played the Dr Z Maz 38 and I think it would be great for what you play. Very fendery. Are you going to buy new?

Edit: I agree with Kevin, the reissues in particular are not made that well either. You could find a serious vintage Fender amp tho with your budget. Use the link in my sig as a tool
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Feb 12, 2009,
I personally liked the stang ray combo that I tried out. I'm looking at getting one sometime over the summer.
haha sounds like Dr Z it is. I did hear that fender reissues arent what their predecessors were. Im too lazy and impatient to hunt down vintage used ones lol. I also had this idea for the T5...is there something I could use to split the signal between the DrZ and a PA system at gigs? I dont want the guitar to come out of both at the same time I wanna choose which one to use during certain parts of songs. Or is that just an overall silly idea?
2-way switch. When you're playing electric, send the signal to the amp. When you're playing acoustically, send it to the PA system. Simple dude
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
ha i was hoping it would be that easy! *sigh* I hate asking the obvious questions
You can build your own A/B box very easily.

While I liked the Dr Z (Galaxie) I tried, I was more impressed by the Tophat Club Royale and Suhr Badger. You might also want to look into Mesa Lonestars. They have really nice cleans, but great drive as well.

Also...Allen Old Flame, Hiwatt Custom 20, Fender Bassman...
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
I've played a couple Dr Zs, & they are indeed great amps, but there's a couple others I'd look into if you're going that direction. Divided By 13s IMO are a lot like Dr Zs & Matchless, but with a lot better dynamics. Mojave Amp Works also has some of the best amps like that, but they're more expensive , so you'd have to look used, but they are fairly rare used. Victoria makes some very high-quality Fenderish amps, & Harris Amps makes some super sweet amps that are right up your alley.
Try as many as you can!!

BTW- The only amp I've ever seen Paisley play is his Trainwreck! Every time I see him on TV, he's got that amp. Good on him for sharing that tone with everyone !
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Quote by riffhog
I've played a couple Dr Zs, & they are indeed great amps, but there's a couple others I'd look into if you're going that direction. Divided By 13s IMO are a lot like Dr Zs & Matchless, but with a lot better dynamics. Mojave Amp Works also has some of the best amps like that, but they're more expensive , so you'd have to look used, but they are fairly rare used. Victoria makes some very high-quality Fenderish amps, & Harris Amps makes some super sweet amps that are right up your alley.
Try as many as you can!!

BTW- The only amp I've ever seen Paisley play is his Trainwreck! Every time I see him on TV, he's got that amp. Good on him for sharing that tone with everyone !

Actually, Paisley primarily uses Dr. Z amps. He might have a Trainwreck, but he mostly uses the Dr. Z's

Keith Urban is the one that uses Trainwrecks. Or is it Bad Cats? I don't remember
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Last edited by Natrone at Feb 13, 2009,
Quote by Natrone
Actually, Paisley primarily uses Dr. Z amps. He might have a Trainwreck, but he mostly uses the Dr. Z's

Keith Urban is the one that uses Trainwrecks. Or is it Bad Cats? I don't remember

I'm not a country music fan, but I do like watching great players. I believe you about Paisley, but I've seen him on TV 3 times performing on big award shows, & he used a Trainwreck all 3 times, although he may have had a Z there as well. I was fixated on the fact he brought out a Trainwreck for those shows! Bad Cats are also right up there in the cleaner amp category. I knew I was forgetting other really good amps, but couldn't remember them. Also, 65 amps are fantastic for those tones, & can get a bit gainier.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Quote by riffhog
I'm not a country music fan, but I do like watching great players. I believe you about Paisley, but I've seen him on TV 3 times performing on big award shows, & he used a Trainwreck all 3 times, although he may have had a Z there as well. I was fixated on the fact he brought out a Trainwreck for those shows! Bad Cats are also right up there in the cleaner amp category. I knew I was forgetting other really good amps, but couldn't remember them. Also, 65 amps are fantastic for those tones, & can get a bit gainier.

Divided by Thirteens and 65s are fairly expensive, though. A Two-Rock would be ideal...

damn, what I would do for a Two-Rock....

Don't judge me.
I think im torn between the Drz Maz 38 and the Galaxie....Which one is generally considered the better amp keeping in mind that I mostly need those country cleans while also switching to my TS9 or maybe an overdrive pedal? Im going to be using this amp for gigs over the next few years so I wanna make absolutely sure I pick the best one of these 2. Im going to occasionally play an acoustic through it as well.

Also, anyone know exactly which Dr.Z Paisley uses? I dont think Id mind emulating his sound its great! I am open to other DrZ amp suggestions, im pretty set on getting a Dr. Z.
I prefer the Galaxie. And the TS9 is an overdrive, I'm not sure if that was just a typo or confusion, but if you're using such a high end amp, i'd get a more transparent OD. Tubescreamers tend to have a nasty mid hump, which is fine on amps that are naturally mid-low, but Dr. Zs arent.

Don't judge me.
so Ive got a vote for the Galaxie! The TS9 thing was a confusion i didnt know that it was considered an OD lol. What would be considered a more transparent OD? Would you recommend an MXR GT-OD or maybe an MXR Distortion +? Im not sure what transparent really means in terms of guitar gear. I am really looking into getting one from MXR are though so if you had to make a recommendation from that company what would it be?
I wouldn't recommend anything from MXR. Look into Maxons OD-808s, Fulltone Fulldrive, Fulltone OCD, Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde, Visual Sound Route 66, and Keeley Modded TS-9s. A good overdrive adds definite color and definition to your tone, but you don't want it to change the basic tone of your amp, especially when you're spending as much money as you're about to.

Don't judge me.
maybe the fulltone fulldrive 2 mofset would be a better od for you
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Ive heard good things about Maxon I think I'll check those out. What else as far as pedals and other add ons would you recommend for country(ish) music? I have an MXR Carbon Copy so i think im set on delays because I love that pedal, but im really not sure about what else I could use. a compression pedal seems like a must have...maybe a chorus and some kind of boost pedal? A Linedriver perhaps? just some shots in the dark here for the most part lol im so clue less
Keeley Compressor. I doubt you'll need a boost, but a chorus might be nice.

Don't judge me.
Quote by Bright Light
Any recommendations on chorus pedals?

EHX Small Clone for a cheap but good chorus...
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me