So I've heard that tone wise true bypass effects pedals are best for preserving tone. I've also heard that running an all true bypass pedal setup isnt good, for whatever reason. Someone on this forum once said that its good to have a mix of both in your pedal setup. Which is true?
Depends on how many pedals you have. Even when a TB pedal is bypassed there is still a small amount of wire in the pedal that the signal is running through, times that by twenty pedal and twenty patch cables and you're getting some treble bleed.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
I doubt every pedal you'll want will be true bypass anyways.
███████████████████████████████████
because of the elongated signal chain, you're going to get some tone loss regardless of true bypass or not. just make up for it by EQ'ing properly.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
if you want more than a pedal or two, then having at least one buffered bypass pedal in your setup is a good idea. you can do a search to figure out why, i dont feel like typing it all out again.
Basically, no matter whether they're true bypass or buffered in some way, the more you have between guitar and amp (including length of cable) the more signal you lose. It's just science.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
I dont think I'll be using more than 5 pedals. Im just trying to figure out if an all true bypass setup would be best. Also, can anyone tell me if the MXR Distortion + and MXR Dyna Comp are TB? And whats a good TB chorus?
thats what linear boosters are for
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Quote by jof1029
if you want more than a pedal or two, then having at least one buffered bypass pedal in your setup is a good idea. you can do a search to figure out why, i dont feel like typing it all out again.

actually...could you pretty pretty please type out why? copy and paste it...i don't care but i'd really like to know why a buffered bypass pedal would be a good idea. i remember reading an article about it once but i didn't really understand it, and because i'm currently selling my pedals to buy some new ones...i'd really like to be in on this info.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

something i typed up at one point:

ok, my point is that true bypass isnt the end-all be-all of pedal bypassing. in fact, a good buffered bypass is often as good or better than true bypass. long lines of cable and lots of connections can kill your signal because it has so far to go. having a buffered bypass pedal in there helps to keep up the signal strength and such. now, some pedals with a cheap bypass will suck tone even when off because some of the signal is still going through the main circuit. however, a pedal with a good bypass system will not suck your tone and will provide that nice little bit of help for your signal. this is really important in long pedal runs. you dont need all buffered bypass pedals, its good to mix and match. but having a bunch of true bypass pedals can actually deteriorate your signal more than it helps it.
so is that how musicians can use insane amounts of pedals without losing their initial tone?

also, how would you know which buffered bypasses are the better ones?

thank you btw
Quote by Scutchington

A Brain Malfunction

They make pedals that do nothing but buffer, that's how you have insanely long chains, along with line boosters.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not