Hey guys, trying to find a laptop for my mom, and I've been shopping around a lot, and this seems like a really good deal here.

The only thing I'm worried about is the processor. I know very little about them, and especially AMD's. She's largely just going to be doing emails, word processing, internet browsing, stuff like that. No games and stuff, although the computer does have an ATI Radeon HD 3200 if I remember correctly. How will the processor perform? It's been hard to find any specific information about that one.

Got any other recommendations for the price range ($700 tops)?
Looks pretty good, for the few seconds I checked it out. Dont take my words for it, but I think this is a pretty good deal.
GO YANKEES!
dude thats way more power than she even needs... but definitely a good buy. i'd look into the 400-500 dollar range if thats all shes doin though. all the things you mentioned are not very resource hungry.
The hardware aspect of it is very good for the price. Although for what she will be doing this is a lot of overkill. One thing that isn't good about it is the fact that it's HP. Their customer service sucks but then again most of their computers that I've had don't have problems. I would recommend anything from Dell. If you want to get it go ahead but like I said earlier for what you said she'd be doing this is a lot of overkill.

any other questions?
I agree with the previous posts ... if you are going to be doing easy simple tasks this one is overkill ... but can't be too safe with Vista I guess!
Quote by alaskan_ninja
Mine: About 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch.

Yours: 4.5 inches.
You guys really think it's overkill? I mean, she's working in a model home for like a $mil+ home community, so she's said she will be showing clients I'd guess like presentations on it, so obviously a nice looking computer is important (when you're working with people that have money like that, appearance is very important IMO). The screen on the HP's seems to be pretty bitchin'. And I may do some occasional gaming on it out and about, who knows. What is also very important is that it last a long time in terms of specs. She doesn't want a computer that will be slow to run anything in 3-4 years.

Also, since you guys don't know her, I guess I should have mentioned this before. She runs a ton of **** all at the same time when she's using a computer.
Last edited by I Poke Badgers at Feb 12, 2009,
lol well 3-4 years in the tech business will make ANYTHING obsolete. but yeah if youre gonna be gaming then go ahead and splurge. just make sure you have a good antivirus and antispyware setup going, though. do some routine monthly scans and you'll be fine.
Quote by I Poke Badgers
You guys really think it's overkill? I mean, she's working in a model home for like a $mil+ home community, so she's said she will be showing clients I'd guess like presentations on it, so obviously a nice looking computer is important (when you're working with people that have money like that, appearance is very important IMO). The screen on the HP's seems to be pretty bitchin'. And I may do some occasional gaming on it out and about, who knows. What is also very important is that it last a long time in terms of specs. She doesn't want a computer that will be slow to run anything in 3-4 years.

The processor I feel is ok, a Dual Core 2.1 GHz is good. I am saying that the 4GB or RAM, Blu0ray player, 320 GB hard drive is a little much for presentations to clients.

You could get a smaller HD, Less Ram, and do without the bluray player and save a lot of money.

EDIT: But for the price I think this is a good deal
Quote by alaskan_ninja

thats a pretty good deal. HPs are pretty reliable usually (at least in my experience). i've had 2, and my sister has one, and we've never had any major problems with them
also the previous poster is right. most every HP laptop that comes into my computer shop has a bad motherboard and usually range 350 to 450 dollar repair after labor. i'd recommend Dell, as well. Especially with their accidental damage coverage...
Still this is overkill. 4GB of RAM will run almost all the applications on the computer at the same time, so therefore the problem of running all the $#!+ at the same time won't be a problem. A basic computer will run a few games every now and then. If you're looking into a computer to be a gaming system like the Xbox 360 you'll definately need that 4GB of RAM and the best graphics car you can get. For what you are describing a computer with 1GB of ram, a 120GB hard drive, a basic graphics card, a 2.0 Ghz processor, and a 17" monitor/screen/ will be perfect. If you are wanting to save loads of presentations and run hundreds at a time then I guess this is what you want. But really something simpler and cheaper will get the same job done with almost the same efficiency.
OK, so taking everything into consideration, I'll keep looking for some less expensive stuff, maybe outside of HP. How are Asus, Toshiba and Gateway?

In regards to RAM, what should I look for? I know Vista is super RAM *****y, but I don't actually have it myself.
Big NO to Gateway. Toshibas are okay (we're a Toshiba service center) but they're a bitch to take apart... not that any of that would affect you. Haven't had any experience with ASUS. Acer's, however, offer some decently priced laptops and, as far as I've seen, haven't had too much trouble as far as problems go. First thing I'd recommend is getting rid of Vista, though. You can still buy XP licenses and it'd be worth it. I would also still recommend looking into Dell.
I'd go for the 4 gigs of RAM, it'll make life much easier if she runs lots of apps at a time like you said. For brands Toshiba and Asus are both respected, dunno about Gateway.

PinkEdit: ^Is Vista really that ****ty? I've heard both sides, the negative mostly from people who're only passing along what they've heard. If you have the RAM for it, I don't think Vista will cause you any big hassles.
Last edited by which ones pink at Feb 12, 2009,
Quote by Phat Stud 55
Still this is overkill. 4GB of RAM will run almost all the applications on the computer at the same time, so therefore the problem of running all the $#!+ at the same time won't be a problem. A basic computer will run a few games every now and then. If you're looking into a computer to be a gaming system like the Xbox 360 you'll definately need that 4GB of RAM and the best graphics car you can get. For what you are describing a computer with 1GB of ram, a 120GB hard drive, a basic graphics card, a 2.0 Ghz processor, and a 17" monitor/screen/ will be perfect. If you are wanting to save loads of presentations and run hundreds at a time then I guess this is what you want. But really something simpler and cheaper will get the same job done with almost the same efficiency.

I would agree.

EDIT: Another NO to Gateways from me. I have had no problems with Dell, so that would be what I would suggest
Quote by alaskan_ninja

Last edited by Drosty at Feb 12, 2009,
ASUS is good for only Routers, Toshiba is like buying the name brand of computers, you pay for the name not the hardware. As for Gateway, I believed they are owned by HP so steer clear of those as well. I would recommend Dell, because they are relatively inexpensive compared to other computers and have the same more hardware. Compaq which is owned by Dell is another good brand to look for. Sony is good too but just like Toshiba you pay for the name not the hardware.

As for RAM typically Vista runs well with at least 2GB of RAM, however you can get by with 1GB of RAM you just can't run as many programs at the same time with 2GB. Also take into consideration the more RAM you have the faster things will run and load. Let us know how it goes for you then.

Any other questions?
Well, is it better to have a Dell (Inspiron?) made to order, or bought from like Best Buy or whatever?

And at this price, I'm guessing building your own laptop is kind of pointless eh? That's only good for making high end gaming machines I'd guess?

How is this Dell for the price? Besides being ugly http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9149557&type=product&id=1218036213752
Last edited by I Poke Badgers at Feb 12, 2009,
Actually Compaq is owned by HP. Sonys aren't bad but I have never dealt with tech support on them. As far as Vista goes... its absolute ****. I'm a computer technician for a living, I've seen enough decent machines be bogged down while Vista uses up to a gig of memory just idling. It's simply not worth the time and effort. Wait for Windows 7. But yeah for the most part steer clear of Gateways, Compaqs/HP, and (IMO) Vaios (Sony). Acer, Toshiba, and Dell is the way to go.
DO NOT buy from a retailer. buy online custom made. most retailers get wholesale price and STILL markup past what you would get online. and don't do white box (custom builds) unless you know your stuff and know you're getting a good price. If you're gonna get a Dell def go for the inspiron series. latitudes are made for office use not multimedia.
Quote by Diablo1986
DO NOT buy from a retailer. buy online custom made. most retailers get wholesale price and STILL markup past what you would get online. and don't do white box (custom builds) unless you know your stuff and know you're getting a good price. If you're gonna get a Dell def go for the inspiron series. latitudes are made for office use not multimedia.

Hrmm, I put together my desktop myself, but I have no experience with laptops. Eventually when I need a laptop I might build it myself though, but I'll be going for more performance than what my mom needs from hers.

My desktop is, if I remember correctly
-Intel Core 2 Duo something OC'd from 1.8 to 2.7GHz
-Nvidia 8800GT
-2GB RAM
-a P35 motherboard
-320GB HDD (can't remember RPM but I think it was more than 5800)
-and a DVD burner
-I can't remember the power supply, but it was good enough
Was only like $700, made it last January.
Quote by Phat Stud 55
ASUS is good for only Routers, Toshiba is like buying the name brand of computers, you pay for the name not the hardware. As for Gateway, I believed they are owned by HP so steer clear of those as well. I would recommend Dell, because they are relatively inexpensive compared to other computers and have the same more hardware. Compaq which is owned by Dell is another good brand to look for. Sony is good too but just like Toshiba you pay for the name not the hardware.

As for RAM typically Vista runs well with at least 2GB of RAM, however you can get by with 1GB of RAM you just can't run as many programs at the same time with 2GB. Also take into consideration the more RAM you have the faster things will run and load. Let us know how it goes for you then.

Any other questions?

i'm fairly sure HP does not own Gateway. EDIT: Acer owns Gateway.

and i know for a fact that HP owns Compaq.

my sister had a Gateway laptop, and it was nothing but problems. that was even a top of the line one that she got through her school.

i had a Dell desktop and had tons of problems with it. i don't have much experience with their laptops. my friend has one and she complains about it a lot.
Man, the more I look at $500ish computers, the more I think "Damn that HP is a good deal". For just a $100 dollars more in many cases you can get a wayyyyy better computer. So it's hard for me to find one and say, OK get this... I'll talk to her more about what she wants tomorrow though.
Also, when you see the RAM usage in Vista, don't freak out. Vista uses RAM to preload programs and frees it up when you need it. Win 7 does the same thing but it tells you how much is being used to cached programs and how much will be available if it frees it up.

Quote by Diablo1986
Vista uses up to a gig of memory just idling.

Well, Mr. Computer Technician. Read what I posted above this. You should know this if I do, considering I am a 16 year old and you are a "computer technician" which implies you do this for a living. If you don't want your RAM to be used, here is what you should do.

-shut down your PC
-take out a stick of RAM
-turn on your PC

Your RAM isn't being used now. This is the same as if your RAM isn't being used while it is in your computer.

Quote by which ones pink
PinkEdit: ^Is Vista really that ****ty? I've heard both sides, the negative mostly from people who're only passing along what they've heard. If you have the RAM for it, I don't think Vista will cause you any big hassles.

It's not ****ty at all. People who say it are are idiots who jump on the bandwagon without trying it or they try it with a biased.
Last edited by Masonpwiley at Feb 13, 2009,
Quote by Masonpwiley

It's not ****ty at all. People who say it are are idiots who jump on the bandwagon without trying it or they try it with a biased.

Yea Vista will work fine with 2+ gigs of memory. Its just a lot more resource hungry than, say, XP because all of its visual effects.
My meh gear:
ESP LTD MH-400NT
Peavey Raptor Plus EXP
Digitech RP90
Digitech Bad Monkey
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi (WTS)
Crate GT15 (SHIT)

GAS:
Peavey 6505 112 combo
MXR 10-band EQ
Ibanez TS-9
Boss HR-2
Compressor (open to suggestions)
For emails, word and internet stuff, even a Pentium 1 with 32 MB ram is too powerful. So yeah, a Dual core processor and 4 GB memory might do the job.
I have that same computer from the previous generation. It is VERY good, however mine has Nvidia graphics inside and is kinda lacking in that department. For what she will be doing it will be just fine, with plenty of power to spare. I got the computer for school and that one is slightly better for much cheaper. I have all the same specs except I have the Nvidia GeForce 7150m with a 14.5 inch screen, and dvd-rw combo drive. I paid 900 this summer for it, so for that price jump on it.
Quote by darkstar2466
Ollieyoufool seems like a self-made man.

Quote by MightyAl
If you punched through plasterboard, I'm pretty sure you can fill it.
If you punched through bricks, why are you scared of your dad?