So here's the deal:

I took the stock Jackson pickups out of my JS30RR. These pickups were very weak and didn't have too much gain in them. I replaced them with a Bill Lawrence 500xl and a custom handwound '59 PAF (courtesy of Clomon)

Now here's the problem: The pickups sound great (as good as they can get in an Indian Cedro body, at least) but they seem to be weak. When on a distorted channel the PAF sounds great, since I don't want too much gain on it, but the 500xl sounds very weak and dry. I can turn the gain all the way up on my amp and if I play a single note palm-muted it sounds like my Schecter (which has active pickups btw, although I doubt it would make that much of a difference on such a high gain amp) being played with the drive very very low.

Also, the clean channel is much quieter. I set my amp up to where when I play my Schecter, the clean and dirty channels are pretty much the same volume, but when I play with the Jackson the clean is almost inaudible. What gives? I've played other passive guitars on the amp, but have never had this problem.

I've already tried raising the pickups, but it makes the sound muddy, so I put them back to a good level.

Now here are the things that I think could be the causes of the problem:

The wood. It's a cheap guitar, so the cheap wood definitely effects the tone in some way.

I may have done a bad job wiring the pickups. It was my first pickup swap. I used a higher guage wire than necessary to connect the pickups to the switch. This may have something to do with it.

I also installed a killswitch, but it works perfectly and I've done that before without any bad results.

Maybe I need new knobs?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, since this is confusing the hell out of me.
I'd say it's the wiring... I was going to say 'Yeah, they're passives and your Schecter is active', but you're right, it shouldn't be that much of a difference. Also, other passive equipped guitars did work, right?

So, probably wiring. Try taking a good look. If you're not sure, take pictures and post them in the Guitar Building and Customization Forum. If you're still not sure, take it to a shop.
Quote by Y00p
I'd say it's the wiring... I was going to say 'Yeah, they're passives and your Schecter is active', but you're right, it shouldn't be that much of a difference. Also, other passive equipped guitars did work, right?

So, probably wiring. Try taking a good look. If you're not sure, take pictures and post them in the Guitar Building and Customization Forum. If you're still not sure, take it to a shop.

Thanks.

But yeah, other passive guitars worked just fine. I didn't do much to change the wiring, I just reconnected the matching wires to where I removed the original ones, so I don't know. Maybe improper shielding/grounding?
i'd have to say wiring. I've had the same problem before on my pup swap.
Deacon of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join
speed demon of the UG Jeepers
Member of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM Hamish5178 to join~
How's your soldering? Do you know how to see if the joints are cold or fractured? If you wired known good PUs correctly then the only thing left is workmanship. Higher guage wire (stranded I hope not solid core) offers less DC resistance and will not hurt your PUs in any way.
Moving on.....
Quote by KenG
How's your soldering? Do you know how to see if the joints are cold or fractured? If you wired known good PUs correctly then the only thing left is workmanship. Higher guage wire (stranded I hope not solid core) offers less DC resistance and will not hurt your PUs in any way.

It wasn't solid core, it was stranded copper wire. I'm not sure if copper was used to connect any of that, actually.

And my friend was soldering it. I don't know if he's all that good at it or not, but he did his own pickups himself and they turned out fine.