know of any good christian bass players?
from like a band
any suggestions?
im looking for some inspiration im kinda new at playing the bass only 3 months...
I don't know what kind of music you like, but Check out Underoath and Five Iron Frenzy. You're going to love one and hate the other, depending on your tastes.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
^ Just because you make claims to something doesn't mean it's true.

Off the top of my head:
Casting Crowns
Flyleaf
Inhabited (this guy's awesome)
Pillar
Demon Hunter

edit: videos!

I'm So Sick- Flyleaf
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCon0QojjYA&feature=channel_page

Slow Fade- Casting Crowns (bass stuff is toward the end)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-8SYA6rfbs&feature=related

Rescue Me- Inhabited
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s00DNVEYJkM

Pillar - Everything
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7h_Z5JcH5E&feature=related

I know that kind of jumps genres...but you didn't really specify...
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Feb 13, 2009,
Quote by Mutant Corn
^ Just because you make claims to something doesn't mean it's true.

But it's true if Tom Araya says so:

Araya commented about the misconception of the band labeled as Satan worshipers, "Yeah, yeah I think that’s one of the biggest misconceptions towards the band, but next to that just the fact that we’re normal." If guitarist King writes a good song, Araya puts his beliefs aside, "I'm not one that's going to go, 'This sucks because it's contrary to my beliefs.' To me it's more like 'this is really good stuff. You're going to piss people off with this.'"[9]

In an interview, Araya believes that "...Christ came and taught us about love, about doing unto others. That was his preach: Accept each other for who we are. Live peacefully, and love one another." When asked if he believed in God, replied "I believe in a supreme being, yeah. But He's an all-loving God."[10] Araya explained that he has a "really strong belief system," and Slayer's words and images will "never interfere with what I believe and how I feel.... People are not in good shape to where they have to question their own belief system because of a book or a story somebody wrote, or a Slayer song."[9] Tom Araya also appeared in Sam Dunn's documentary Metal: A Headbanger's Journey, and was asked about his religious background, to which he commented "Catholic." He was also asked "God Hates Us All, How does it fit in?" To which Araya replied "God doesn't hate. [But] it's a great ****ing title."
I was going to say Andy Gouche, but hes gospel, and we seem to have gone for the other end of the spectrum.
I would question why a player's religion subtracts from his inspiration potential?
Quote by the_underling
I was going to say Andy Gouche, but hes gospel, and we seem to have gone for the other end of the spectrum.
I would question why a player's religion subtracts from his inspiration potential?

It shouldn't. At all. I personally think that anyone who will not give someone a chance because they are Christian, or not listen to someone who isn't Christian, for those reasons, is a bigot, for lack of a better word.
Geddy Lee regardless of religion.
Sting
Paul McCartney
the bassist from cannibal corpse.

if you want inspiration you can't limit yourself to just christian bassists. because the more you limit yourself the more your playin will suffer
Quote by StillSoundRG
I don't like you ACFCPatrick. Your views differ from mine.
Quote by ACFCPatrick
Geddy Lee regardless of religion.
Sting
Paul McCartney
the bassist from cannibal corpse.

if you want inspiration you can't limit yourself to just christian bassists. because the more you limit yourself the more your playin will suffer

Alex Webster (Cannibal Corpse) describes himself as agnostic, but he was raised Christian.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Well--apparently Sting is now Hindu:

"In a sense I am more a Hindu, I like the Hindu religion more than anything else at this moment," says the bottle-blonde pop star who has carved a niche for himself as a "thinking rocker" and bequeathed the word "synchronicity" to teen talk. "For me as an artist, it was important to be brought up in the Christian tradition, it is very rich in imagery. And of course I still use that, there is a great deal of awareness with that. But I would not consider myself a Christian any longer. My beliefs are much wider than that. I don't believe God is necessarily a Catholic or Islamic or anything else...it's a much larger concept than that..." says Hinduism's latest star convert.
Quote by anarkee
"In a sense I am more a Hindu, I like the Hindu religion more than anything else at this moment,"

In a sense... he is more of a Hindu? Like what, 70% Hindu, 20% Christian, 10% Buddhist, 100% bullsh...

Anyway, I think I understand what the threadstarter is trying to say. I don't think she's saying that she can't be inspired musically by non-Christian bassists. I think it's more than that. The contemporary Christian music scene can be frustrating - there are a lot of mediocre bands out there. And even in the ones that are quite good, they don't necessarily have that notable of a bassist. So, seeing as how Christian rock seems to be the threadstarter's genre, she wants to be inspired by other bassists in her genre. And that seems perfectly reasonable to me.

To answer the question, a couple bands that haven't been listed. Audio Adrenaline you should DEFINITELY check out - I regret never being able to see them while they were still together. Jars of Clay - after their first album (which is basically just acoustic), they picked up some pretty great bassists, listen to the album Good Monsters. And HOW can we forget DC Talk? Awesome bassist, and he's this really big black guy who's totally cool.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
Quote by katelain rocks
know of any good christian bass players?
from like a band
any suggestions?
im looking for some inspiration im kinda new at playing the bass only 3 months...

I have a question, why do they have to be Christian bass players...?
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by ChemicalFire
I have a question, why do they have to be Christian bass players...?

Because he is (probably) a Christian in hopes of listening to, learning, or maybe performing some Christian music that has good bass in it. A lot of Christian music has really lame bass lines.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Check out some Hillsong United. the bass isn't exactly incredible, but there's some good stuff in there and you could learn a lot from it.

i'm specifically thinking about the song Salvation is Here. there's even a nifty little solo in there.
The world and its desires pass away, but the man who does the will of God lives forever.
-1 John 2:17
I second the Hillsong United stuff. Try doing "Tell the World." It's a pretty consistent bassline, pretty fast, and you feel great playing it.

Otherwise, try Delirious?. I would say either History Maker or My Glorious. They have simple basslines, but both are fun to play. Plus, one of their live versions of My Glorious has a bass solo. Apart from the rhythm, it's easy to pick up.

Rock on!
Duck

Bass tones are hard to find.
My Band
Mesa Boogie M-Pulse 360
Madison MAB 4x10
Warwick Thumb BO 5
Last edited by aceofbass131 at Feb 14, 2009,