Page 1 of 3
Okay so this is my first forum on this website! WOOT! Alright, something I really want to discuss are peoples favorite Metal and Metal sub genre Albums. If you all would list at least 3 of your favorite Metal albums and discuss why they are your favorite and the highlights of the albums. The reason I'm doing this is because i really want to help people find out about new bands, and I really want to hear some recommendations. So, here is my list! Enjoy friends!

1) Pain of Salvation - Remedy Lane
This is my favorite album of all time! They are surely a new breed of metal. If you were take Peter Gabriel, Jethro Tull, and Pink Floyd's "The Wall" and somehow turn it into a heavy metal masterpiece, well this album is it. Daniel Glidenlow composed this whole album with aspects of his own life. I'ts a very emotional/powerful journey and I highly recommend this album. It took me a while to get into Pain of Salvation, but when i started to listen to them alot, i realized how great their music truly is.

2)Cynic - Traced in Air
Unlike their album in 1994, this album goes for a more melodic approach and very appealing robotic vocals with a hint of growling. The musicianship is outstanding. The really cool thing about this album is that they go from being very heavy then contrast by going to jazz. This album tells a story and it fits very well with the music.

3)Opeth - Watershed
Okay, many people may disagree with me here. However, I think this is their best "heavy" album. I am a big fan of Damnation where Steven Wilson from the amazing band Porcupine Tree writes the lyrics for "death whispered in a lullaby", but this album is like Damnation had a baby with Still Life. The softer songs like "coil" and "porcelain heart" really contrast and blend in a very strange way with "The lotus eater" This album is outstanding and very heavy!

I hope you guys find this list useful! Thanks so much for listening to me rant on and on.

(and if you would, check out some videos on my channel. I'm going to post some new ones up soon www.youtube.com/angelswillarise)
I can't narrow it down to 3 favourite albums but I'll mention a few

Incantation - Mortal Throne of Nazarene

I've never heard any music sound more evil than this, every single passage has been taylored to perfection to sound as sinister as possible. There are no stand-outs here, it's 666% awesome all the way through.

Infester - To the Depths... in Degradation

Without a doubt the filthiest, most depraved album you'll ever hear... the muddy guitar sound suits the music, crushing guitar riffs, varied drumming (by BDM standards) and a totally disgusting atmosphere all throughout. Synths are used tastefully and the vocals are other-worldly. Braded Into Palsy is a very good track but they all are...

Slayer - Show No Mercy

As evil as thrash metal can get, just about every track is an absolute classic and better than 95% of other thrash metal songs. The Final Command and Crionics are a bit weaker than the rest, and Face the Slayer is slightly better.
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

The music winners listen to
Pantera - Cowboys from Hell. Because it unleashed the beast that was Dime. Also a good bridge between their erlier power metal stuff and the groove metal that dominated their later work.

Metallica - Kill 'Em All. Thrash at it's finest. Seek and Destroy, Jump In the Fire, and The Four Horsemen make the album.

Between The Buried and Me - Colors. The Best metal album of the new Melliniun. Progressive and heavy, it ****s with your mind
Megadeth - Rust in Peace
Do I really need to describe this?

Morbid Angel - Blessed Are the Sick
This album contains the best guitar work in all death metal. And the vocals are awesome, too.

Iron Maiden-Number of the Beast
You don't know what metal is if you haven't heard this.
Uncle Vernon, Uncle Vernon,
independent as a hog on ice,
He's a big shot down there at the slaughterhouse,
Plays accordion for Mr. Weiss
Artillery - By Inheritance
Forbidden - Twisted Into Form
Megadeth - Peace Sells

I dunno if they are my favourite but it's all i've listened to this week
Candlemass- epicus doomicus metallicus
No album is perfect. This album, however, is increadibly close. All six songs are top-notch, but A Sorcere's Pledge is my favorite song on there. Plus, Lanqvist is the greatest doom singer ever.

Summoning- stronghold
Nobody makes music quite like Summoning. People have even accused this album of being too epic. That's impossible. This album is atmospheric with very long songs, yet never loses focus. I can listen to this beast on repeat all day.

Hanker- snakes and ladders
Hmmm... Power metal with no cheese factor... interesting... Catchy, melodic, and dares to to try not headbanging.
Psycroptic - The Scepter of the Ancients : Chalky is awesome.

Emperor - Prometheus : Ihsahn is also awesome.

Arcturus - The Sham Mirrors : Garm is awesome as well.

All interesting and unique albums. But it's impossible for me to pick a top 3, so I just picked the first 3 good albums that came to mind.
Opeth - Ghost Reveries
A near-flawless album imo, not a track I'll skip, and the transitions from soft and melodic to heavy and menacing is glorious. This album is really the pinnacle of the signature Opeth sound they've been striving to perfect over the many years of their existence.

Between the Buried and Me - Colors
My absolute favorite album ever, I can't say enough about this band. This is a perfect example of a cohesive, thought-out album that flows from start to finish with varying moods and incredible musicianship, I listen to this every few days, can't get enough.

Sikth - The Trees are Dead and Dried Out...Wait for Something Wild
This album really changed my views on what it means to be progressive and technical. There really isn't a band out there like them and this album is brilliant, incredibly intricate songs and some of the most creative/interesting musicianship I've ever heard.
Quote by AluminumOxide
Cobain killed himself before he learned to play guitar.

Gibson SG Special
Schecter C1-Plus
As of right now

Ride The Lightning - Metallica
Traced in Air - Cynic
Morningrise - Opeth

Honourable Mentions:
Catchthirtythree - Meshuggah
Alien - Strapping Young Lad
Demigod - Behemoth
Not definitive, of course. Just three I've been listening to a lot lately.

Alien- Strapping Young Lad
Board Up the House- Genghis Tron
Conqueror- Jesu
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
I'm a huge Megadeth fan so this list won't be to surprising >.>

1. Rust in Peace

2. Peace Sells

3. Dragon Mistress (Marty Friedmans first solo album)
Yeah, I'm gonna go with "Listening to lately", not "of all time".

Obscura - Cosmogenesis
Turisas - The Varangian Way
Cattle Decapitation - The Harvest Floor
Nile-Annihilation of the Wicked-pretty much the heaviest music i've ever heard. Ever.

Cryptopsy- None So Vile- Ururururh hurhuhruhr uruhurhuhuhur huhruhruhu, **** Yeah.

Children of Bodom- Follow The Reaper- Laiho at his best, the finest of melodeath.
My taste shifts a lot, so these will probably all be different in about a month...

Blind Guardian - Imaginations From The Other Side

Opeth - Still Life

Agalloch - Ashes Against The Grain

Nile - Annihilation Of The Wicked
Kill 'Em All - Metallica

A classic. Nothing more needs to be said.

United Abominations - Megadeth

Definitely excels Metallica at the time this album was released. A particular favorite being "Sleepwalker", this album has a tighter sound than typical thrash.

Allegiance - As Blood Runs Black

ABRB at their finest. Excellent balance between theory and technicality, my 2 personal favorites being the "The Brighter Side of Suffering" and the instrumental "Pouring Reign". Definitely worth checking out.
I'm that dude with the fro.
Quote by angus fan16
Long story short, a whale flew out of the ocean, landed next to me and shot like a wall of water straight into my face.
1) Noctambulant- Spawn of Possession: I didn't think these guys were human when I first heard this :O . By some weird turn of events, I listened to Spawn of Possession before I knew sh1t about DM, so this album kind of has a nostalgiac kind tone to it for me. This band is just absoloutely demonic-sounding to me, it sounds like a whole different world. Classical-sounding guitars, ace drumming, fast crushing vocals, great use of dynamics, and melodies and structuring that make the song feel like it's some kind of living beast. Can't get enough of this!

2) Traced in Air- Cynic: I'll probably love focus more very soon, but for now, TiA still captures my attention 100%. You can really see how they matured after so many years. It's amazing how they reinvented themselves with another completely unique, amazing sound. Stunning band.

3) Colors- Between the Buried and Me: When I saw this as number 1 metal album on some UG list thing, I assumed by the name they were just another metalcore band praised for their rehashes of Slaugher of the Soul. After a while, I took a chance and checked them out on youtube, and listened to Alaska. I was blown away by the intro, but dissapointed with the rest of the song. After a while, I decided to check out more of their songs, and realized how awesomely prog they were. Then I checked out this album. Almost too much orgasm to take in with Colors.
Metallica - Master Of Puppets
-Is there really much explanation needed?

Death - Leprosy
-Just great album, all the way through. Innovation at its best.

Amon Amarth - Twilight Of The Thunder God
-Very much the screwball in the mix. But ever since it came out, I cant stop listening to it. Every song is just as heavy as the one before, great riffing, good overall songwriting IMO.
That's tough, I can't even narrow it down too three favorite albums for most of my favorite bands but here goes nothing.

1. Iron Maiden - Number of the Beast
One of my (five) favorite Maiden albums, the only reason I'd put it ahead of any of my other favs is because it has my favorite Maiden song, Hallowed be thy Name. That aside though it's still an amazing album from start to finish has a good mix of tracks which manages to capture almost all sides of Maiden in this album.

2. Helloween - The Dark Ride
One of the best power metal albums out there IMO. Manages to create and maintain a really heavy, aggressive, and sometimes dark tone while still managing to incorporate a lot of positive lyrics. There is not a song on this album that I dislike.

3. Blind Guardian - Tale from the Twilight World
Much like Iron Maiden it is impossible for me to pick a favorite Blind Guardian album. Great album from start to finish. Was a substantial change from their previous two album going away from the more thrashy or speed metal style into much more of a power metal style.
Pain of Salvation- BE

Greatest album ever.

Dream Theater- SFAM

Never listen to it now, but used to listen to it a few times a week for a couple years straight.

CONSTANTLY ROTATING 3rd

But for now i'll say

UneXpect- In a Flesh Aquarium
Last edited by mattallica at Feb 15, 2009,
Testament - The New Order
Suicidal Tendencies - Lights...Camera...Revolution
Arch Enemy - Rise of the Tyrants

these have a had their fair share of rounds on the old stereo
Black Sabbath - Master of Reality. Don't care much for Sweet Leaf but the rest of the album is A++ would listen again.

Blue Oyster Cult - Tyranny and Mutation. Metal tinged and insanely funny.

Cathedral - Forest of Equilibrium. Slow and painful.

Cathedral - The Ethereal Mirror. Not so slow and painful, just rockin'.

Electric Wizard - Come My Fanatics... Heavy. Stoneriffically heavy.

High on Fire - Surrounded By Thieves. First album I heard by them and probably still the most played. The songs kinda run together but that's kinda the charm of it, to me.

Iron Maiden - Powerslave. Everyone loves Number of the Beast, which I like as well, but I like Powerslave. Especially that chugging riff of the titular song.

Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden. Yes, their first album. It's great in a different sort of way. Not the typical Maiden sound.

Judas Priest - Too many to count.

King Crimson - Red. Jazz-rock-metal-prog thing.

And more I forgot.
This space foreclosed, due to the ailing economy.
All time:

1. Opeth - Blackwater Park

2. Agalloch - Pale Folklore

3. Dream Theater - Awake/ Death - The Sound of Perseverance

Lately:

Cynic - Traced in Air

Dead Congregation - Graves of the Archangels

Disarmonia Mundi - Mindtricks
Quote by BringMeTheCalm
Last night I had a dream that I bought The Mantle on vinyl for $9.99 and it came with a DVD and shirt...

Then I woke up and life sucked.
All time

Agalloch - The Mantle
Between the Buried and Me - Colors
Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath

Honorable Mentions:

Corrosion of Conformity - Deliverance
Children of Bodom - All of them
Amon Amarth - With Oden On Our Side

Albums I've been listening to alot lately:

Pantera - The Great Southern Trendkill
Metallica - ...And Justice For All
Electric Wizard - Electric Wizard
I hope it's cold, everyday, where you are.
it would be impossible for me to take all the great music i listen to and narrow it down to 3 albums. The reason is because tomorrow ill have a different opinion. 3 of my favorite albums are

Slayer - Seasons in the Abyss
Slayer covers alot of ground here. Where as Reign in Blood was all speed, and South of Heaven was gloomy, this album rests gently between them with more versatility and great classics such as Season in the Abyss, War Ensamble, Dead Skin Mask, and Spirit in Black

Death - The Sound of Perserverance
Chucks best work in my opinion. Amazing musicianship, Powerful vocals, and incredible structuring. The biggest reason I have for choosing this album is because Schuldiner brings something often lost in Death Metal... soul. He shows it more in this album than any other in my opinion. I also find it very fitting that Chuck chose the name "The Sound of Perserverance" for his last album with Death (unknowingly).

Nile - Annihilation of the Wicked
What more could one want in a Death Metal band than Nile brings to the table with this album? Crushing riffs, remarkable drumming, some of the craziest vocals, and a theme that sets them apart from any other band. Nile maintains crushing brutality from album to album without loosing catchiness.

like I say, these arent my favorites. There just albums I love

EDIT:
Honorable Mentions
Cannibal Corpse - The Bleeding
Black Sabbath - Volume 4
Blotted Science - Machinations of Dementia
Necrophagist - Epitaph
Originally Posted by fatdanny
Also, check out Autopsy, the vocalist sounds like hes about to eat your grandmother while f
Last edited by rebeltildeth87 at Feb 20, 2009,
Queensryche- Operation Mindcrime
Dream Theater- Metropolis Pt.2

and it's not metal, but good enough to be the best in any category:
The Mars Volta-Frances the Mute
Quote by Run_Like_Hell
Only losers sig themselves
All Time:

Opeth - Morningrise
Bathory - Under the Sign of the Black Mark
Death - The Sound of Perseverance
Dream Theater - Awake

Honorable Mentions:

Immortal - Pure Holocaust
Carcass - Heartwork
Bolt Thrower - War Master
Cannibal Corpse - The Wretched Spawn
Carcass - Reek of Putrefaction

Lately:

Utopia Banished - Night of the Black Wyvern
Arch Enemy - Stigmata
Cryptopsy - None So Vile
Gorgoroth - Under the Sign of Hell
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Way too many classics to narrow down to 3, so here's random albums that are so good that I know I know I will still be listening to many years down the road and aren't a passing fad in my growing youth.

Also, if you don't eventually familiarize yourself with at least 50% of this list then you aren't very good at listening to metal.

Candlemass - Nightfall - My introduction into the world of doom metal, which would eventually become perhaps my most beloved genre in metal. Every song is top notch, as is 95% of Candlemass' output.

Solitude Aeturnus - Alone - Same deal as Candlemass. No ounce of BS throughout their entire career. And releasing one of their best albums of their career just 2 years ago shows an extremely rare and respectable feat only a chosen few can say they've achieved.

Doomsword - My Name Will Live On/ Resound the Horn - Just go buy these 2 gems and if you don't love them you suck at listening to music.

Solstice - New Dark Age - Epic. Doom. Masterpiece.

The Gates of Slumber - Conqueror - Flawless album start to finish. Favorite of 2008.

Arghoslent - Hornets of the Pogrom - Runner-up album of 2008. Death metal greatness with godly riffage and no poor songwriting that affects most DM bands out there. The S/T track is also one of the best instrumentals out there.

Opeth - Entire discography. Don't care how popular they are, Mikael is one of the most creative musical minds in all of metaldom.

Pagan Altar - The Lords of Hypocrisy/ Mythical & Magical - Hilarious muppet vocals aside, this is some of the best/most guitar driven music in all of metal. One awesome lead after another, the guitar assault from Alan Jones is just second to none.

Valkyrie - Man of Two Visions - Similar to Pagan Altar, some amazing dual guitar ass kickery. One of my top albums of 2008, this band deserves mention just because nobody has ever heard of them.

Death - The Sound of Perseverance - I'm actually not even a huge Death fan. Chuck was one of the best guitar players in all of metal, and this is easily his most impressive output. And as a guitar lover, I love it.
Matthew 5:5 - "Blessed are the meek: for they shall Beherit the earth."
Last edited by Penisaur at Feb 20, 2009,
1. Kill em' All
2. Blizzard of Ozz-
3. Vulgar Display of Power-its F%CKING HOSTILE

all these albums were metal at its best
Hmmm..:
Definitely Ride the Lightning (def beats Master of Puppets)
Maybe Countdown to Extinction (idk any other megadeth albums...)
An Ocean Between Us by As I Lay Dying is pretty sick....
Sorry, I haven't delved very deep into the sub genres of metal, but I'm starting to listwn to symphonic black metal witha band called Zonaria
Hmm... Right now it's probably these:

Black Sabbath - Vol. 4/Master of Reality

Blasphemy - Fallen Angel of Doom...

Infester - To the Depths... In Degredation

Judas Priest - Rocka Rolla/Sad Wings of Destiny

Slayer - Show No Mercy

Mercyful Fate - Melissa/Don't Break the Oath

EDIT:

Repulsion - Horrified

is definitely up there as well...
Quote by dminishedthingy
It didn't seem possible, but apparently Messiah can spam even more now.

Quote by \Powerslave/
I can see it now. "Dark Thrones and Black People".

Quote by \Powerslave/
I pretty much wank something small and sleek.

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
Quote by 3Dpaper
1. Kill em' All
2. Blizzard of Ozz-
3. Vulgar Display of Power-its F%CKING HOSTILE

all these albums were metal at its best

Not even close. Listen to more than 10 different bands.
Matthew 5:5 - "Blessed are the meek: for they shall Beherit the earth."
What's the point? None of them are as heavy as Pantera.
Quote by dminishedthingy
It didn't seem possible, but apparently Messiah can spam even more now.

Quote by \Powerslave/
I can see it now. "Dark Thrones and Black People".

Quote by \Powerslave/
I pretty much wank something small and sleek.

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
Quote by MetalMessiah665
What's the point? None of them are as heavy as Pantera.

Emortus, they are teh heaviest evar!
Quote by Angelswillarise
Okay so this is my first forum on this website! WOOT! Alright, something I really want to discuss are peoples favorite Metal and Metal sub genre Albums. If you all would list at least 3 of your favorite Metal albums and discuss why they are your favorite and the highlights of the albums. The reason I'm doing this is because i really want to help people find out about new bands, and I really want to hear some recommendations. So, here is my list! Enjoy friends!

1) Pain of Salvation - Remedy Lane
This is my favorite album of all time! They are surely a new breed of metal. If you were take Peter Gabriel, Jethro Tull, and Pink Floyd's "The Wall" and somehow turn it into a heavy metal masterpiece, well this album is it. Daniel Glidenlow composed this whole album with aspects of his own life. I'ts a very emotional/powerful journey and I highly recommend this album. It took me a while to get into Pain of Salvation, but when i started to listen to them alot, i realized how great their music truly is.

2)Cynic - Traced in Air
Unlike their album in 1994, this album goes for a more melodic approach and very appealing robotic vocals with a hint of growling. The musicianship is outstanding. The really cool thing about this album is that they go from being very heavy then contrast by going to jazz. This album tells a story and it fits very well with the music.

3)Opeth - Watershed
Okay, many people may disagree with me here. However, I think this is their best "heavy" album. I am a big fan of Damnation where Steven Wilson from the amazing band Porcupine Tree writes the lyrics for "death whispered in a lullaby", but this album is like Damnation had a baby with Still Life. The softer songs like "coil" and "porcelain heart" really contrast and blend in a very strange way with "The lotus eater" This album is outstanding and very heavy!

I hope you guys find this list useful! Thanks so much for listening to me rant on and on.

(and if you would, check out some videos on my channel. I'm going to post some new ones up soon www.youtube.com/angelswillarise)

1) decent
2)rehash of their old riffs and rhythms, nothing new
3)their worst album(ok orchid is worse)
Don't know about all times, but certainly some of my top choices:
Nevermore - Dead Heart In A Dead World
High On Fire - Death Is This Communion
SYL - City
Black Sabbath - Master Of Reality
Exodus - Tempo Of The Damned
Behemoth - Thelema 6
Carcass - Necroticism
Gojira - From Mars To Sirius
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
All time:
Agalloch- Pale Folklore
Opeth- Morningrise
Blind Guardian- Imaginations From the Other Side
Alcest- Souvenirs D'un Autre Monde
Candlemass- Epicus Doomicus Metallicus
Dark Angel- Darkness Descends
Cynic- Focus
Atheist- Unquestionable Presence

Others/Recent:
Gamma Ray- Land of the Free
Equilibrium- Sagas