I am planning on replacing the crappy pickups of my squire with carvin HSS pick-ups for about $135. Is it worth it? Are carvin pick-ups good quality? Or is it more worth it to buy a better strat completely?
You might want a better guitar. The carvin pickups are ok, but nothing special. What type of music do you play?

(^ the end of the world)
I'd never put that much money into that quality of guitar. For triple that you can get a mexican strat which is infinitely better than any squier, and an excellent starting point for customizing.
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by handbanana
wiliscool is just plain dumb
Dude, go for it. Maybe give it a fret-job while you're at it, make the neck better, but it'll sound a load better.
Quote by conor1148
who cares if they're drawn,

boobies

Gear:
Peavey Supreme 100W head
Crate 4x12 cab
Epiphone Les Paul Standard+
Modded Johnson Stratocaster
the guitar is affinity. I'm looking into playing hard rock/alternative music.

Well, some people have told me go for it, others have told me get a better guitar. lol the rest of my badn members are like go for it. then i told my mom and she was like get a better one. i also sanded the back and put oil finish on it to make it less grabbing
go for it dude. its ur axe, do what you want to with it, dont listen to what people say

once my birthday comes around (17 days!!!!) ill be completely modding my affinity
"Would you tell Picasso to sell his guitars?" - Jack Black

Quote by Lt. Shinysides

my dick is generally better than yours, and is more pleasing to look at and hold.
your dick understands and accepts this, and is willing to just move on.
dont do it dude. the carvins arent that great... and they cost more than ur actual squier. i say get a mexican tele or strat
Seriously, everyone always says "lol do it dude don't listen to what everyone else thinks, its ur gu1tar lololol"

Stop telling people this.

Putting in pickups that cost more than the guitar itself is a bad idea and a waste of money.

Buy a better guitar first, then a better amp. Pickups are like 5% of you're sound.
Quote by handbanana
nope the affinity series has quality wood and if your willing to replace the hardware and the electronics they can be beasts. I would not get the carvin pickups, get the fender vintage noiseless pickups for the neck and middle position and get a seymour duncan pearly gates for the bridge bucker. Or there are a few guys here on UG that wind their own pickups that are very good pickups, talk to one of them.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Quote by lbj273
nope the affinity series has quality wood and if your willing to replace the hardware and the electronics they can be beasts. I would not get the carvin pickups, get the fender vintage noiseless pickups for the neck and middle position and get a seymour duncan pearly gates for the bridge bucker. Or there are a few guys here on UG that wind their own pickups that are very good pickups, talk to one of them.

exactly. plus if TS doesnt like how its workin in the affinity he can go buy a mexistrat or somethin then swap in what he had in the affinity

Quote by Lt. Shinysides

my dick is generally better than yours, and is more pleasing to look at and hold.
first off, if you're really happy with the guitar, i.e., you just love the way it plays for you, then by all means mod the axe. but if it's just "nothing special", up grade the axe first. i have a 2005 Squire std satin trans strat, and had to put a SD Hotrail in the bridge, because it plays so well, ( paid more for the PU than i paid for the guitar.....lol) it was worth it.
Takes a Knockin' and Keeps on Rockin" DOA #08-01502
hmmm..well im just wondering what kind of sound i'll get from it. right now i have a peavey vypyr amp and I wanted to know if the sound would provide good overdrive/distortion, etc.
The Squier Affinity series are actually made of pretty good wood. The Hardware is what needs work.

If you want to upgrade the pickups to something a little more suited to your target sound I suggest looking around at www.guitarfetish.com Their GFS pickups are actually really worth it for the money. I have a "VEH" van halen pickup and it is a whole lot better than the stock pickup that was in my strat, and it fits my sound a little bit better too.

So go for it man, If you like how the guitar plays, do it. If you don't, then save up some money and buy a guitar that is a little more suited to your style of music.

If you have any questions about pickups, like about how pickups values work, then just ask, either I or someone else here will be able to help you.
Last edited by pk1802 at Feb 14, 2009,
Quote by pk1802
The Squier Affinity series are actually made of pretty good wood. The Hardware is what needs work.

If you want to upgrade the pickups to something a little more suited to your target sound I suggest looking around at www.guitarfetish.com Their GFS pickups are actually really worth it for the money. I have a "VEH" van halen pickup and it is a whole lot better than the stock pickup that was in my strat, and it fits my sound a little bit better too.

So go for it man, If you like how the guitar plays, do it. If you don't, then save up some money and buy a guitar that is a little more suited to your style of music.

If you have any questions about pickups, like about how pickups values work, then just ask, either I or someone else here will be able to help you.

yea, what do pick-up values mean?
Pickup values? Excuse me?
Quote by conor1148
who cares if they're drawn,

boobies

Gear:
Peavey Supreme 100W head
Crate 4x12 cab
Epiphone Les Paul Standard+
Modded Johnson Stratocaster
I guess I really didn't explain that well, i'm sorry. Like on the explanations of pickups it will say 16k, 10k, 9k and other values like that. These numbers are the pickup's DC resistance measured in Ohms.

I'm sure someone else can explain this better, but those values have to do with how the pickup sounds. The lower the value, the mellower the tone, and the higher the value, the hotter the tone. This isn't always the case because from what I understand, the shape of the coil inside the pickup effects the tone aswell.

I'll see if I can find a link to a website that will explain this a little better. I'm not very good at this.

Edit:
I found this, and I think it does a pretty good job of explaining how pickups work in general.
www.athensmusician.net/archive/2001-07-26_pickups.php
Last edited by pk1802 at Feb 14, 2009,
you know what then? Im becoming more doubtful about this purchase so im either oging to buy a new guitar, or better pickups (than carvin) for my squire. i mean, were only a garage band right now and my ibanez hollow body works well enough for me as of now. Thanks everyone for your help
Quote by RozzLe
you know what then? Im becoming more doubtful about this purchase so im either oging to buy a new guitar, or better pickups (than carvin) for my squire. i mean, were only a garage band right now and my ibanez hollow body works well enough for me as of now. Thanks everyone for your help

New guitar. Seriously. Squiers are great starting guitars, but there not really good. At all. It wouldn't do ANYTHING to put new pickups in. Think of it like this... for a little bit more money you could get a guitar that is built a HELL of a lot better, it will be easier to play, and the stock pickups will sound better. That's basically a 3 for 1 combo, for spending a bit more. As someone else said, the pickups aren't that big a part of your sound. The amp, and the way you play will influence your sound way more than the pickups.

Buy a new guitar, don't change the pickups.
Quote by wiliscool
Seriously, everyone always says "lol do it dude don't listen to what everyone else thinks, its ur gu1tar lololol"

Stop telling people this.

Putting in pickups that cost more than the guitar itself is a bad idea and a waste of money.

Buy a better guitar first, then a better amp. Pickups are like 5% of you're sound.

Pickups are initially 100% of your sound. The only thing that can affect them is string feedback. If there was no such thing, your bridge, wood mass, etc. would not affect your tone. Regardless, they're the source of your signal, they're more than 5% of the sound. I'd like you to plug in a guitar without pickups and see if there's a 5% difference in the end.

I wouldn't recommend swapping pickups in that guitar. The neck wood isn't that great, and I don't even know what the **** the body is made out of. Its attack sucks and so does the sustain. If I put new pickups in my MIM Strat, I'll put those stock PUPS in my Squier, but I would never buy pickups for my Squier alone. Better to get a new guitar, my friend.
Quote by pk1802

Pretty good wood? No.

The hardware is pretty poor, but the wood is on level with it, if not of lesser quality.
if its an Affinity chances are it has Agathis or Alder body

Quote by Lt. Shinysides

Quote by dz_alias
Pickups are initially 100% of your sound. The only thing that can affect them is string feedback. If there was no such thing, your bridge, wood mass, etc. would not affect your tone. Regardless, they're the source of your signal, they're more than 5% of the sound. I'd like you to plug in a guitar without pickups and see if there's a 5% difference in the end.

I wouldn't recommend swapping pickups in that guitar. The neck wood isn't that great, and I don't even know what the **** the body is made out of. Its attack sucks and so does the sustain. If I put new pickups in my MIM Strat, I'll put those stock PUPS in my Squier, but I would never buy pickups for my Squier alone. Better to get a new guitar, my friend.

What I mean is that if you switch out the pickups in a guitar you will not hear that much of a difference (barring a switch from singles to HBs or vice-versa) when playing through the same amp/effects. 5% is a little too low maybe, but you get the idea.

What matters is that he should not put new p'ups in his squire, and we both agree on that.
Quote by handbanana
Quote by wiliscool
What I mean is that if you switch out the pickups in a guitar you will not hear that much of a difference (barring a switch from singles to HBs or vice-versa) when playing through the same amp/effects. 5% is a little too low maybe, but you get the idea.

What matters is that he should not put new p'ups in his squire, and we both agree on that.

big difference if u swap em

passive to active or vice versa, huge difference
switching open coil to covered or vice versa, theres a difference
switching from crappy stock pickups to say SD or DiMarzios, thers a difference

Quote by Lt. Shinysides

I have just changed my pups tonite on my cheapest guitar an ESP M-10. It is unbelievable the difference in sound.

The guitar it self is made of cheap agathis wood and had the stock LTD100 Series passive pickups. Swapped one of them out for a EMG81.

One thing that supprised me also was how great the clean channel sounded. I was warned that the 81 series tends to go muddy but compared to the stock pickup i had its still alot better.

Currently im playing through a Valveking 112. Id suggest getting a decent amp before upgrading pickups.
Last edited by MrChris at Feb 14, 2009,
Quote by Johansensan
big difference if u swap em

passive to active or vice versa, huge difference
switching open coil to covered or vice versa, theres a difference
switching from crappy stock pickups to say SD or DiMarzios, thers a difference

Squire stocks to Carvins, undetectable.
Quote by handbanana
the affinity series is alder wood, changing the pickups will make it a completely different guitar,in a good way.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

I give up.
Quote by handbanana
haha wow guys theres a lot of different opinions about this subject...well, i guess ill just wait until i have alot of money for a good guitar. : ) any recomendations?
Quote by wiliscool
I give up.

Good, the affinity series of strats are made of alder.
It's a good starting block to mod.
and what the hell?
It's a bad wood for the neck?
It's maple, just like every other fender neck.

I'd swap out the pickups for some Dimarzios, they're cheaper than the other competitors and to me, sound just as good
I don't remember where I was,
When I realized life was a game.
The more seriously I took things,
The harder the rules became.
whend u get the guitar? i just found out on their website that as of 2007 all affinity squiers are agathis instead of alder

Quote by Lt. Shinysides

yea pickups would be a good thing to change on it then, personally I think the necks on most, not all Squiers are pretty nice
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020