Ok, i've searched it over the net quite a bit, but haven't found anything concrete. Here's my thing.
I have an ESP AX-50, which has, like, the worst pickups ever. Period.
I wanted to replace those ****ty stock pick ups with the EMG-ZW Zakk Wylde 81/85 Active Humbucking Pickup Set. Is that possible for the AX-50? Coz i reckon that these EMG are battery powered. If yes, how. If no, then what other pickups can i go for?? I play Slipknot, Lamb Of God, Chimaira and the likes. Some help would me much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
MY GUITAR SPECIFICATIONS - http://www.zzounds.com/item--ESPAX50
Live n Let Die!
maybe your pickups arent bad, your amp is. what's your amp? youll regret a pickup change if you got a **** amp which'll get you the same ****ty tone with the emg's
firstly you should probably upgrade your amp since by looking at that guitar i m guessing your amp is a starter amp as well....as for pickups i d recommend seymour duncans...log use duncans and they have a killer tone....but seriously that guitar is still gonna sound pretty mediocre even with amazing pickups...

amp first! then new guitar that has good pickups already installed!
No dude, i have a Marshall MG15CD practice amp, which ain't THAT bad i suppose, and it's relatively new, so i don't see a problem there. Besides my friend's Strat works just fine on the same amp. The problem with the stock pickups on my guitar is that they have a very muddy sound.....like, it's fine for a beginner....but it's not playable for a gig or something. And buying another guitar isn't on my budget. So i've made up my mind on replacing the bad pickups. So....the EMG pickups query anyone????
Live n Let Die!
And thanx for the reply jimithrash and georgakis.....
Live n Let Die!
Last edited by xionbizkiteer at Feb 13, 2009,
And yes, i do understand that i wont get "the sound" till i get a better guitar....i know that. But i can just buy a good pair of pickups for now. Atleast better pickups will make the tone a bit better than what it is now if not good. Right/Wrong?
Live n Let Die!
Quote by xionbizkiteer
No dude, i have a Marshall MG15CD practice amp, which ain't THAT bad i suppose, and it's relatively new, so i don't see a problem there. Besides my friend's Strat works just fine on the same amp. The problem with the stock pickups on my guitar is that they have a very muddy sound.....like, it's fine for a beginner....but it's not playable for a gig or something. And buying another guitar isn't on my budget. So i've made up my mind on replacing the bad pickups. So....the EMG pickups query anyone????

yes it is VERY bad. (your amp that is)
Haha. Is it?? Well then, it's all about the money my friend. That's all i can buy!
Anyhow, i still haven't found an answer for my question. Is my guitar "compatible" for the EMG's i mentioned?? Seymour Duncans seem to be a good option as well, now that i googled it out. Anyone?
Live n Let Die!
Ok, so hit me up with a decent practice amp recommendation as well. And....umm, so is EMG pickup thing a good idea???
Live n Let Die!
dude for the 150$ of whatever you spent on that amp you could ve gotten one of the smaller cubes or vypyrs...it IS a bad amp....and you should definetly change that first and worrya bout pickups later....less than 10% of your sound comes from pickups.

like i said...amp...guitar...and then pickups...but i d at that point i d rather buy a guitar with good pickups alread installed...like jackson pro series (with seymour duncans)
Plus active pickups do nothing on a solidstate like the MG.

Active pickups were meant to push tube amps harder.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by xionbizkiteer

that explains your tone..... get a vox valvetronix. you WILL NOT regret it or that peavey vyper everyone's got
and yes you can install emg's in your guitar.... DONT upgrade the pickups unless you like burning money
right! thanx a lot you guys! I'll try to get a new amp then! i'll hit up sometime when i get it. thanx again! take care.
Live n Let Die!