Well, a lot of people think CCTV Cameras watching us are bad enough. Now what if they could hear us as well?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/7886656.stm

Security cameras have long been a fact of Scottish life, viewed with relief by many communities and with suspicion by civil libertarians. But what if they were listening to you as well? It has already happened in Glasgow. Sigard can tell aggressive voices from other loud noises A Dutch company called Sound Intelligence carried out a two week long trial in a busy city centre street. They stress that their system, called Sigard, does not record conversations. It listens not to what is being said but how it is being said. At the company's headquarters in the Dutch city of Amersfoort, Bram Kuipers explained that Sigard was listening for the changes that affect the human voice in an aggressive situation. "It's a different state that you are normally in," he said. "You're full of adrenalin and your voice gets distorted. You start to scream and you try to impose on someone." Identifying such changes comes naturally to the human brain. But teaching a computer system to recognise the specific characteristics of aggression has taken more than a decade, building on research at the University of Groningen. I'd rather people trialled them in a more open way so that people know what going to be out there Patrick Harvie MSP Sound Intelligence say Sigard is able to discriminate between the sound of aggression and other, everyday loud noises like passing trucks and car horns. Kuipers demonstrated this by clapping his hands. A display screen noted the sounds but took no action. Then he shouted aggressively. This time an alarm sounded and a CCTV camera spun round to look directly at the source of the shouting. Such systems are already in everyday use on the streets of several Dutch towns and cities. The company said it also has uses in potential flashpoints like prisons and benefits offices. There are hopes eventually to sell Sigard in other markets - hence the Glasgow trial. "We installed a couple of microphones in one of the main streets of Glasgow," Kuipers said. "It's working. We detected aggression and it's currently under evaluation." Sigard is one aspect of what can be considered the next generation of CCTV technology. Other innovations are also on the market, among them talking cameras and systems to detect suspicious behaviour patterns.

I know, wall of text.
Tl;Dr - Cameras could be fitted with microphones, not to record conversations, but to determine when people are getting aggressive or violent to 'sense danger'

Discuss.
RULE BRITANNIA
One more step towards a big brother society. Oh goody.
My Gear:

Washburn 6 String Bantam Series

Fender Mexican P-Bass

Farida Stratocaster

Peavey TNT115S
I personally thing the whole thing is REALLY getting out of hand now, next it'll be like something out of Metal Gear 4...

We're going to be controlled in every aspect of our life.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
Quote by Kingyem0c0re
I personally thing the whole thing is REALLY getting out of hand now, next it'll be like something out of Metal Gear 4...

We're going to be controlled in every aspect of our life.

If we get Gekkos walking around, that'd be awesome. Public lynching by bipedal robots?
Scottish folk sound aggresive all the time
" Did You know, in Tibet, if they want something, do you know what they do? They give something away."

"Do they ? That must be why they're such a dominant global power."
If this happens, I'm just gonna go around shouting vile abuse at all CCTV cameras, just to fool the bastards.
Quote by SmarterChild
If this happens, I'm just gonna go around shouting vile abuse at all CCTV cameras, just to fool the bastards.

We have hobos aplenty round here way ahead of you on that front.

Although some of them think it's because Aliens are watching.
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Quote by loubot123
Scottish folk sound aggresive all the time

AWRIGHT MAN HOWS IT GOIN LONG TIME NO SEE HOWS THE WAINS DAIN?
RULE BRITANNIA
Well, I'm a bit of a loony anyway so I guess when New Zealand finally does get all this big brother crap, it'll just mean more people on my case.
but if somone shouts they will get flaged as being agressive.

edit: how long till being angry is a crime?
✠ ☠ ✠
RIP Ronnie James Dio

Fendi Shoes is actually extremely advantageous.
Last edited by sirrjj at Feb 13, 2009,
Quote by Cobain_Is_King

AWRIGHT MAN HOWS IT GOIN LONG TIME NO SEE HOWS THE WAINS DAIN?

PURE ACTUAL MENTO MANNNNN !!!
YA HERE BOOT THESE CCTV CAMERAS LISTNIN INTO OOR PRIVATE CONVERSATIONS IF IT SOUNDS LIKE IM PURE GOING AFF MA NUT....YALDI !
" Did You know, in Tibet, if they want something, do you know what they do? They give something away."

Last edited by loubot123 at Feb 13, 2009,
I like it.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by Deliriumbassist
If we get Gekkos walking around, that'd be awesome. Public lynching by bipedal robots?

It'd hardly be awesome....

Anyone need a Gun Launder'er?

Or someone to take out the Gekko? (Shoot there Penis)

Pay me now to ensure a safe future.
Quote by demoniacfashion

Quote by Oasis-fanatic

Quote by human panda
Quote by sirrjj
but if somone shouts they will get flaged as being agressive.

edit: how long till being angry is a crime?

It's almost a crime now, this f*cking modern day intense policing of society and behavior is really starting to piss me off.
anyone in Scotland?
if you are SMASH THEM
but do it quietly so they dont hear you
and come up from behind so they cant see you.
this has to be stopped before it gets any worse.
friggin' governments and their paranoia.
Quote by Ghanja_Fog
anyone in Scotland?
if you are SMASH THEM
but do it quietly so they dont hear you
and come up from behind so they cant see you.
this has to be stopped before it gets any worse.
friggin' governments and their paranoia.

Im in Glasgow and im sure thats where the priorty is if they want to set these things up.
We should protest or somthing becuase its a major invasion of privacy and as I said, out way of speaking or "patter" is very agressive and loud anyway

Quote by loubot123
Im in Glasgow and im sure thats where the priorty is if they want to set these things up.
We should protest or somthing becuase its a major invasion of privacy and as I said, out way of speaking or "patter" is very agressive and loud anyway

yeah scottish people in general (at least ones ive seen) have loud voices as it is, every voice will get flagged.
if you protest and they still try their crap, then i suggest taking a large blunt object to every camera in sight.

something along those lines.
Quote by Ghanja_Fog
yeah scottish people in general (at least ones ive seen) have loud voices as it is, every voice will get flagged.
if you protest and they still try their crap, then i suggest taking a large blunt object to every camera in sight.

something along those lines.

I thought that this kind of thing was border line illegeal, its like big brother of somthing if they can see and hear us.

Quote by loubot123
I thought that this kind of thing was border line illegeal, its like big brother of somthing if they can see and hear us.

it is but technically it isn't because the camera's are in public not in your homes.
so they use loopholes to screw everyone.
My Scottish friends get drunk all the time and proceed to sing Elvis & the Cornetto song LOUDLY,
Quote by demoniacfashion

Quote by Oasis-fanatic

Quote by human panda
I dont see what peoples problems are. Its no real invasion of privacy.

All it apparently does is cause a camera to focus on somewhere where it sounds like someone is being aggressive. If it is someone starting on someone and it ends in a stabbing etc then you have it on CCTV, if it is someone saying hi to their mate in a scottish accent then nothing will happen of it.