I just recently got a job, so now I can afford pretty much any head and cab I want (besides rediculously priced signature series and stuff) so what are some suggestions for a really awesome half stack? I play metal and rock...
I use a line 6 spider 2. I managed to pick it up foir dirt cheapo second hand. its awesome for gigging and does every thing i need

for metal effects i think they are all you need
Mako MAK 2, Splawn Nitro/Quickrod, Framus Cobra/Dragon, Krank perhaps, Diezel, ENGL, Bogner Uberschall, Randall MTS, Line 6 Vetta...
Last edited by Horlicks at Feb 13, 2009,
Quote by Furious_D
I use a line 6 spider 2. I managed to pick it up foir dirt cheapo second hand. its awesome for gigging and does every thing i need

Good God no!

TS,what exactly is your budget? You say you can afford any amp head and cab out there,but exact figures would make suggesting things much easier.Also,what kind of wattage and features are you looking for? Saying metal isn't a good clue because metal is an umbrella term and covers so many different sounds.Knowing your budget,needs,and the specific tone you want would be very helpful.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by Furious_D

please be a troll.

on a serious note look at Diezel or Hughes and Kettner
well up to $5,000 AUD (could go more if need be) I'm into hard rock like GnR, AC/DC and metal like Metallica, Megadeth, Death, Mastodon... I want it to be loud and versatile.
Look at getting a Marshall JCM800 Head + Cab. Look at getting OD/Distortion/Delay pedals too.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
You could probably pick up a new mesa mark V at that price.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Before you do anything, just think "do i REALLY need a half stack?". Personally, i'd recommend getting a good valve combo and a few pedals. Try out a few Voxs/Fenders.

On the other hand, ORANGE TINY TERROR.
Quote by Hypnotisation
Before you do anything, just think "do i REALLY need a half stack?". Personally, i'd recommend getting a good valve combo and a few pedals. Try out a few Voxs/Fenders.

You're kidding right?
$5000?
Metal?
Quote by Hypnotisation

There's nothing wrong with halfstacks.

After owning my TT for 5 months I can tell you that there are better options for the price, and they aren't outstanding amps.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
ENGL

or you can get a good Carvin is you're in the US...
they're good, sucks that they don't cater for Europe...

go to the store and pick the one that sounds best to your ears...
Quote by Horlicks
Mako MAK 2, Splawn Nitro/Quickrod, Framus Cobra/Dragon, Krank perhaps, Diezel, ENGL, Bogner Uberschall, Randall MTS, Line 6 Vetta...

That and the entire ENGL line up ('cept for the Classic). Some Hughes & Kettner amps are worth a look as well, that being the Warp X, Triamp, Triamp II and the ZenTera. Possibly the Switchblade, too. I'd not go with a Vetta. Vettas are great, but for metal there are better amps.

EDIT: Oh, and Mesa Rectos of course.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Feb 13, 2009,
Quote by TheQuailman
That and the entire ENGL line up ('cept for the Classic). Some Hughes & Kettner amps are worth a look as well, that being the Warp X, Triamp, Triamp II and the ZenTera. Possibly the Switchblade, too. I'd not go with a Vetta. Vettas are great, but for metal there are better amps.

EDIT: Oh, and Mesa Rectos of course.

The Vetta has a better Metal sound than half the H&Ks you mentioned.
And I already said ENGL.
Quote by Horlicks
The Vetta has a better Metal sound than half the H&Ks you mentioned.
And I already said ENGL.

Oopsie, I missed that one.
And it's all preference anyway. I find the Vetta sounds a little stale for modern high gain sounds. It's cool for most '80s stuff though (okay, that's the case with the Switchblade as well).
I'd wait a bit and check out a MK V if I were you.
Some of these have already been said, but o'well. Mesa Mark V, Laboga Mr. Hector, Diezel Eistien, Diezel Herbert, Framus Cobra, Framus Dragon, Engl (theres a few models to look at there..), Line 6 Vetta I, VHT Sig X ect. You could always go the preamp/poweramp route as well if you coud find something you're interested in. Check out something like a VHT 2/50/2 poweramp with a Mesa Trixas. Theres also the Engl preamps that are worth checking out.
Mesa Boogie Mark V, Dual & Triple Rectifier Solo Head, Stiletto Stg 2.
Jackson KE1F
Jackson KE2
Gibson Gothic Explorer
BC Rich Jr V deluxe

Engl Powerball full stack
Framus Cobra
VHT Pittbull CL50