Since im a beginner im not too big on bends or whammy bar use yet (which seem to drive my guitar out of tune much faster) so whats the expected lifetime of a set of strings? Lately its been going out of tune real fast (like an hour of playing), mostly the top 3 strings and the bottom string and its been 7 or 8 months since i bought it. You guys think its time to change strings yet?
what's your guitar ? I change strings every 5/6 months, but that just me. When they are dirty and I don't like the sound they make, change I don't know about the tuning stability , but I have a squier and it usually went out of tuning really easily, but I put some graphite in the nut, lowered the bridge so that it is touching the body and I never use my whammy bar (I actually lost it.....), and it holds the tuning pretty well know (I mean, for a squier)
If they haven't been changed in 7 months then yes you should change them.

The lifetime of a set of strings isn't set in stone, it depends on how much you play and so on. Some people change strings every 3 or 4 weeks, others every 3 or 4 month. I found that its probably the right time to change them when they start to go black from use.

Hope this helps
Quote by hazarada
Since im a beginner im not too big on bends or whammy bar use yet (which seem to drive my guitar out of tune much faster) so whats the expected lifetime of a set of strings? Lately its been going out of tune real fast (like an hour of playing), mostly the top 3 strings and the bottom string and its been 7 or 8 months since i bought it. You guys think its time to change strings yet?

ok so if your neck doesn't have a locking nut, it's obvious that your guitar is going out of tune.
i have a whammy on my guitar but i never use it coz i don't have a whammy bar
so just play without using it.

and the strings last depending on the quality.
some r good and some r bad.
i've been using the Ernie ball RPS and they lasted for 8 months.
then i moved to the Ernie ball Titanium Coated and they've never been out of tune.

and i guess yeah you should change your strings now.
"When I tried to play something and screwed up, I'd hear some other note that would come into play. Then I started trying different things to find the beauty in it."
-Dimebag Darrell
Quote by Woozye
what's your guitar ? I change strings every 5/6 months, but that just me. When they are dirty and I don't like the sound they make, change I don't know about the tuning stability , but I have a squier and it usually went out of tuning really easily, but I put some graphite in the nut, lowered the bridge so that it is touching the body and I never use my whammy bar (I actually lost it.....), and it holds the tuning pretty well know (I mean, for a squier)

touching??
dont u get fret buzz?

Quote by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course
Word od advice, if I may. Make sure you get a good guage. I was using strings on my acoustic years ago that were too heavy, and the whole guitar would get out of tune in a minute. I switched to John Pirece (Light Guage) on a whim, and voila, no problems. SIT strings stay in tune, but Im not a huge fan. For the electric, I use GHS Boomers on my LP, but it you have a Squier Strat, Ernie Ball Power or Super Slinkys in light Guage (12ish-42ish) may be a good bet.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
Quote by Mike 'em all
touching??
dont u get fret buzz?

no, I adjusted the bridge things (saddles ?) from where then strings come off. slight fret buzz but hey, it's a squier
You guys keep string for over 6 months?
I change them when they lose that new string feel, which is about 3 months at most. And that's if I'm not playing the guitar to much, and with Elixir Nanowebs which last me the longest. Ussually Ernie Balls wont last any longer than 2 weeks or so, and I don't like how any other strings feel or sound.
How often you change your strings really depends on how often you play. I change mine about every 2 months- I also play a few different guitars so I don't wear them down as much, say if I were only playing one.

If your guitar is going out of tune like that though, you may want to consider bringing it to a guitar tech and having him do a set-up and change of strings for you.
i change mine every 1-2&1/2 months... but my strings could last longer... i use Ernie Ball super slinkys
i use super slinkeys there good(obiously) an i change mine every 4 months but just because they look better that way. and it makes the guitar look cleaner