fogive me, I'm tired, and I need to figure this out for school, so I'm not going to sift through 100 threads of similar nature. I'm looking for different ways to play f7 Bb7 and c7 chords (other than the common ways we were all taught) as well as what you believe to be the best way to play guide tones for F, Bb and C that sounds fluent and generally good.

edit: I know how to play them by note, I'm looking for tabs.
... wrote
the funny thing about those ads is, if i could steal a car at the comfort of my own computer in my own house, i would.

Quote by MyDesertRose
Ahahaha TS just got gobsmacked.
Well played Wicked Rose
why not just work them out - that's arguably the whole point of the exercise.

you know the notes, so find them on the fretboard and put them together.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
There isn't one "correct" voicing for a chord, the ones we use commonly are simply the easiest way to play them. As long as it contains only the chord tones, use whatever suits the song better, even if you place your fingers in an awkward position.
Quote by steven seagull

+ 1
Quote by steven seagull

yup. sometimes what i do is choose one string on which my "guide tones" will be played, and then form the chords around that temporary 'rule' i've imposed on my riff.

so i might play something like:

e|--5--7--8-----------3--0----------|
b|--5--5--5--3---1-5--3--2----------|
g|--5--5--5--2---2-4--0--2----------|
d|--7--6--5--4---3-2--0--2----------|
a|-----------------------0----------|
E|----------------------------------|

and you'll notice two things:

1) that's pretty much stairway to heaven for the first four chords, which is a pretty good tune for voice leading in itself.

and

2) the leading tones are all played on the D string, except the last one

e|-------------------------|
b|-------------------------|
g|-------------------------|
d|--7-6-5-4---3-2-0--------|
a|-------------------0-----|
E|-------------------------|

so that's my idea... just try making a single-note melody and then building chords around it.
Last edited by frigginjerk at Feb 13, 2009,
*sigh* ok, here's the deal, I have 4 hours to figure this out. that was my problem. I had to get some sleep last night, and I guess I'm spending the next while figuring out the chords insted of practising the song. (no, I did not leave this untill the last minute, I've only known about the song, along with the rest of the class, for a total of 24 hours.)
... wrote
the funny thing about those ads is, if i could steal a car at the comfort of my own computer in my own house, i would.

Quote by MyDesertRose
Well played Wicked Rose
Quote by Wicked Rose
*sigh* ok, here's the deal, I have 4 hours to figure this out. that was my problem. I had to get some sleep last night, and I guess I'm spending the next while figuring out the chords insted of practising the song. (no, I did not leave this untill the last minute, I've only known about the song, along with the rest of the class, for a total of 24 hours.)

well, if you want specific help, show us what chord grips you're currently playing, and tell us your whole progression
dominant 7ths can be voiced in many ways, here are a couple of basic ways to do it:

*shell voicings-this is when the non-functioning notes or notes which are not essential in the harmony are ommited.

e.g instead of playing 1-3-5-b7
you could play 1-3-b7 or even 1-b7

*rootless voicings- this is when the root has been omitted. The 9th is also often added and the 5th is often replaced by the 6th especially in jazz.

e.g. instead of playing the basic 1-3-5-b7
you could play you could play 3-6-b7-9
or even b7-9-3-6

there are many other ways of voicing them but the others really depend on what instruments you are playing with.
you are what you is
Last edited by mergapoot at Feb 14, 2009,
eh, thanks for the help guys, we ran into a few problems, but it sorted itself out eventually. Ended up just playing the guide tones so I wouldn't clash with the piano and two other guitars, unfortunately they didn't have the same idea.
... wrote

Quote by MyDesertRose
Well played Wicked Rose
There is no "best" way to play a chord progression.

If you want to do a melody lead with the chords, then I guess you'd have to sit down and work it out, but something like tonic - subdominant - dominant doesn't have that many possibilities to it when it comes to that kind of stuff, imo.