View poll results: ??
people are happier when they can see and touch the fruits of their work
33 77%
people are happy no matter what work they do
8 19%
people who work in offices are happier than others
2 5%
Voters: 43.
Someone told me something interesting the other day.

He said that the least-paid construction worker is 10 times happier than the best paid burocrat.
why?
Because the construction worker has the satisfaction of having made something with his own hands. Every time he drives by a building he worked on he can say to himself "damn, I helped make that". The burocrat, however, has nothing that he can call his creation, and that goes for many people that work in an office.
I have to say I agree with him, it is very awesome to be able to look at something, be it a house, a movie or a CD, and say "I made that!", and I am more proud of the little things that I have made in my life than all of the good grades I have ever gotten in school.

discuss
But the beuracrat does create stuff, just not with his hands. I think there's too many variables and a big assumption saying the happiness is only related to the creation by hand. Like stress and the sorts.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
i think it should really be "people can be happy no matter what they do"

it depends on the individual and their outlook.
Quote by Kensai
But the beuracrat does create stuff, just not with his hands. I think there's too many variables and a big assumption saying the happiness is only related to the creation by hand. Like stress and the sorts.
bureaucrats create a mess, and nobody is proud of a mess.

Unless it's a facial. Everyone is proud of a nice messy facial.
Quote by Kensai

I meant more that being able to actually SEE the fruit of your work makes you happy.
If you're a burocrat working in a government office, pretty much all you do is hand out forms and pass em on to other offices (according to a friend's mom who works as such), and you don't really see the result of what you're doing, you're just pushing papers all day long.

And dude, don't you ever have school or something?

EDIT: also, I need someone with a scandinavian english accent for the UG cartoon. interested?
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Feb 13, 2009,
Quote by freedoms_stain

That is almost sig worthy. Almost.
Any spelling or grammatical errors written above are because of my inferior brain to yours. Good job, you won life.
Quote by freedoms_stain

That's true. That's why people take so many pictures of facials. My first I put on my fridge.

Quote by CoreysMonster
I meant more that being able to actually SEE the fruit of your work makes you happy.
If you're a burocrat working in a government office, pretty much all you do is hand out forms and pass em on to other offices (according to a friend's mom who works as such), and you don't really see the result of what you're doing, you're just pushing papers all day long.

And dude, don't you ever have school or something?

I guess it depends on the person.

And no, I have classes like 2-3 times a week despite studying 150%. And I'm sick
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Having been a builder I'd have to say that I haven't seen this. Then again I work in groundworks so I suppose it's difficult to walk down the street and say "man, I'm really proud of that manhole I made"
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
I dunno about others, but making or designing something, anything at all makes me happy. It isn't about what it is that I'm making it's about the effort involved that makes it so precious, whether it's a song, a great piece of work, a technical drawing or even a particularly good performance*

Quote by LordBishek
I dunno about others, but making or designing something, anything at all makes me happy. It isn't about what it is that I'm making it's about the effort involved that makes it so precious, whether it's a song, a great piece of work, a technical drawing or even a particularly good performance*

Ya but I mean, if you're a builder you don't actually get to design anything. You just do what you're told. The most you get to do is read a technical drawing and do what it says. In fact, if you worked for the company I worked for you didn't even get to do that. Instead you had a kid like me come and tell you exactly what to do because the company considered you too stupid/polish to be able to read the drawing.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
I think it has more to do with feeling useful, contributing something valuable to society rather than becoming a cog in a bull**** machine. Everybody knows there is too much bureaucracy, bureaucrats included. We really don't need more of them. Whether it's subconscious or not, they probably know this.

Just like it took me a little while to realize that i was full of **** when i used to work in advertising (sorry Bill). And i wasn't the only one: apparently, 3/4 people in this business hate advertisements. Although i could say "i made that", being part of the problem so to speak, wasn't very good for my self-esteem. If you feel what you do is worthless, it really doesn't matter if you get a good paycheck.
Remember Office Space?? Why do even have to ask Turns out they were much happier in construction.

I'm especially happy doing physical labour rather than typing stuff all day, it really depends on the person though, some people are happy working their brains, and others their bodies.
Quote by ravioli123
James, a type of sandwich:

A sandwich that consists of ham, turkey, roast beef, shredded cheese, nacho cheese doritos, and ranch on a toasted bun.
"Hey man lets go get a couple James's for lunch"
I'm not so sure about happy. You would be, certainly, but happiness and proudness are not the same thing. And if you're low paid, you won't be happy for long. In short, your mate is what we call over in nottingham UK as "chatting wet"
Quote by Bonorly
I'm not so sure about happy. You would be, certainly, but happiness and proudness are not the same thing. And if you're low paid, you won't be happy for long. In short, your mate is what we call over in nottingham UK as "chatting wet"

What part of Shots are you in?

Quote by Ur all $h1t
Ya but I mean, if you're a builder you don't actually get to design anything. You just do what you're told. The most you get to do is read a technical drawing and do what it says. In fact, if you worked for the company I worked for you didn't even get to do that. Instead you had a kid like me come and tell you exactly what to do because the company considered you too stupid/polish to be able to read the drawing.

I know, but I meant life in general, not just work.
Last edited by LordBishek at Feb 13, 2009,
People who work in offices are sad, corrupt, pathetic and diseased. Don't even get me started.
Quote by flabber.gast
I think it has more to do with feeling useful, contributing something valuable to society rather than becoming a cog in a bull**** machine. Everybody knows there is too much bureaucracy, bureaucrats included. We really don't need more of them. Whether it's subconscious or not, they probably know this.

Just like it took me a little while to realize that i was full of **** when i used to work in advertising (sorry Bill). And i wasn't the only one: apparently, 3/4 people in this business hate advertisements. Although i could say "i made that", being part of the problem so to speak, wasn't very good for my self-esteem. If you feel what you do is worthless, it really doesn't matter if you get a good paycheck.

True and true, my friend.
If I play an emo song, will I ruin this thread?

...sorry
Quote by icaneatcatfood
On second thought, **** tuning forks. You best be carrying around a grand piano that was tuned by an Italian
I have started a small bussiness doing rock art and its much more rewarding than anything else ive done

-Exavior