Hi guys,

Ok, so improvisation scares the **** out of me! Every time my teacher has asked me to improvise, I basically panic, freeze, and then make random evil noises on my guitar til he takes pity on me or his ears can't take it anymore. I'm better when I'm on my own - cos nobody else can hear - but that kind of defeats the object.

Anyhow, I downloaded some dodgy jam tracks and I figured I'd record myself to see just how sucky it sounds, and having done that I might as well let you guys crit it - on the grounds I'll probably never meet you face to face so it should be easier than playing in front of someone I know lol

So - here we go. Any criticism welcome but if you say I suck please also give me some hints on how to improve it

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/zhilla/music/all/play543153

Thanks
I don't know **** about music teory, but I like the sound of that just thought that it was a little bit too repetitive, but liked it overall keep up !
Well, I'm not going to listen the url,
BUT,

As a blues(blues-rockish) player, I can give you a hint on how to practice the improvisation.

I assume you have the theory,

Now just write your improvisation over a rhythm or a song, really doesn't matter,

BUT you must be able to repeat it, In other words, you'll have to know exactly what you are doing, Just play this one piece over and over, and it will work, trust me :3

(any questions? just say so,)
Greets Mauss.
ok I have listened now,

Work on your timing a little better, Don't play too many notes,
Try to use more hammer ons(perhaps), don't play in a same style for too long,
It's okay-ish though..
Thanks for the feedback guys
Quote by Darkmaus
ok I have listened now,

Work on your timing a little better, Don't play too many notes,
Try to use more hammer ons(perhaps), don't play in a same style for too long,
It's okay-ish though..
I see what you mean about the timing - that was recorded straight from my guitar into audacity, so I'm planning on seeing if I can use the output from my amp when I get home - that way I can see if I can use not having been able to hear myself as an excuse lol. I'll see if I can make it a bit more interesting too

I've tried writing licks and learning them, and that bits not a problem - but whenever my teacher says 'ok improvise over this' they never seem to fit with the rhythm/speed/key he plays. Maybe I just need to practice them more so I can adapt them to different circumstances.
Try leaving some space between your phrases, let the notes breath, imagine youre playing a wind instrument and you have to stop to catch breath.
Not bad, but I agree, a little repetitive. The number one things is being able to listen while playing music. Try not to play anything that is too complicated so that you can focus on the sound, timing and phrasing. Go listen to some guitarists who have good phrasing and try to emulate them. Better yet, listen to some wind instrument solos - they have to breathe, ie, phrasing is a natural part of playing a wind instrument. Also, try not to end every single lick on the same note - it kills the listener. It's tedious, but listen to the chord progression and sing a brief melody with out your guitar over it (you don't have to have a good voice!). Then, pick up your guitar, find the notes, and play it the way you sang it.

Here's an example of a simple solo with great phrasing to get you started: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COXa12aOUho
I think there are a few things Id like to let you think about.
1. How long have you been playing?
2. How much do you know or listen that genre of music?
3. How well do you know the scale?

I didnt think it was that bad. I remember when I first got into the bluesy style. I didnt know too much about the soloing or really the rhythm. It took a while to get into it. But once you have the timing and the feel for it, youll be able to progress faster than you thought. It takes time. Dont rush yourself into it. And yeah hammerons and pulloffs will do wonders. I SOMETIMES throw a tap in but not often.

Youll be fine man. You probably just freeze up because you know hes better than you and you think hell be looking down on you. But he was right where you were one day. Remember that. Youll impress him one day! (Assuming you keep it up.)
Thanks guys. I just made myself listen to the whole 10 mins I originally recorded (I just used the first 2 mins of it to post here) and it settles down a bit after a while - apparently I get nervous when there's only me (or in this case my laptop) listening lol.

I'll definitely work on my phrasing

Quote by bastratard
Youll be fine man. You probably just freeze up because you know hes better than you and you think hell be looking down on you. But he was right where you were one day. Remember that. Youll impress him one day! (Assuming you keep it up.)
I think you're right - I can play in front of my husband, cos I know he can't tell if I'm messing it up or not, so it doesn't matter. My teacher is really cool, and I know he wouldn't look down on me (or at least he wouldn't show it), but I'm always conscious that he will hear every mistake.

Well, I've got the weekend to practice before my next lesson

Edit: You're right - I know the scale pretty well, but I never listen to blues. And I haven't been playing that long - although it feels like its speeding by - so plenty of time to work on it
Last edited by zhilla at Feb 13, 2009,