i have a cheap encore les paul that has broken one of the wires on the out put jack, and the rest of the electrics are starting to rust.
realistically i would like to replace it with something like an ibanez art 120 but i can't afford to do it, so i was thinking about replacing parts in stages when i get enough money to do so.
firstly would i be better off waiting and getting a new guitar or rebuilding my old one?
secondly can you suggest some pickups to look at replacing the old ones with, i mainly play rock like queens of the stone age and ocasionly play stuff like mettalica and seasick steve.
i would also be looking at getting a new amp like a vox 15vt when i get enough money, so i would be pllaying on a cheap tenson scream 15.
Shouldn't be too hard to fix that problem for the time being. Just needs to be re-soldered.
I wouldn't bother "doing up" that guitar though; your money would be much better spent on something of better all round quality.

I don't know what those Encore LPs are like now, but a friend had one when we'd both just started playing back in 1997-98 and the body was basically (strengthened) MDF. Yuck!
404: Sig not found.
the one i have is solid wood, resoldering it is probably going to make it sound all crackly it did before the wire broke
Quote by forsaknazrael
Wiring is really easy fix, and rust has no effect on how it works. I'd fix it.

Don't replace parts on it, it's not worth it. Just learn how to fix the electronics. If it was crackly when you turned the knobs, it's because you need new potentiometers.

i'm pretty good with a soldering thanks to lots of projects in school but i don't particularly want to do a tempory fix
Quote by forsaknazrael
....Fixing the electronics isn't a temporary fix. Not if you do it right...

I'm telling you right now, rust has no effect on the guitar's performance.

this. Rust is only oxidization of the metal. Assuming the wires aren't rusted (shouldn't be...) there shouldn't be a problem.
------

Shwiggity.
Quote by britishsligean
resoldering it is probably going to make it sound all crackly it did before the wire broke

most likely that crackling noise was the bad solder joint prior to breaking. repairing it shouldn't make it sound like it did before the break.

the crackling can also be due to a bad pot which can be solved by replacing the bad pot.
i wouldn't touch it since the wires are the bare minimum in length you need and it's a mess inside the cavity
Quote by forsaknazrael
...you can always buy more wire.

yeah but i think i'm not going to touch it after looking at how big the project would be
Quote by britishsligean
i wouldn't touch it since the wires are the bare minimum in length you need and it's a mess inside the cavity

wait... yr asking about what pickups to replace it with and how you know how to solder from school but you're afraid of touching it cus there isnt enough wire in the cavity and it's a mess?

buy new wire. replace the wire. neaten up the control cavity.

were you intending to put in new pickups and not fix whatever wiring mess you've got going on in there?
Quote by noisefarmer
wait... yr asking about what pickups to replace it with and how you know how to solder from school but you're afraid of touching it cus there isnt enough wire in the cavity and it's a mess?

buy new wire. replace the wire. neaten up the control cavity.

were you intending to put in new pickups and not fix whatever wiring mess you've got going on in there?

i was thinking about that originally but i looks like it's going to cost me more to do than get a new guitar