Hello just a quick question for all you guitar freaks out there.

So I've been playing the guitar for about a year nowand i'm still a noob when it comes down to guitar hardware.

Although I once had to fix my guitar because one of the wires that go in the guitar/amp connector came loose and eventually popped out of place leaving me with an acoustic solid body electric guitar in the middle of a gig hahha, not really funny but we laughed our asses of right in and there.

So I know the basics in weldering and alland now I'm thinking of buying a better guitar, like Ibanez RG or Gibson Firebird and this Peavey Raptor plus EXP that I first bought and learned with, I will keep it to have a "how to" kind of guitar and just mess around with it.

So the first thing is replacing the pickups, since i really think that i can get more out of this guitar I am thinking of buying some Tele pickups, just to see how they work with this guitar in the neck possition.

But my question is, how can I know what kind of pickup i am getting, is there a way to test them or to find out how they will fit and sound through my gear??

I'veshopped around the internet and came down to these three results, but I am not really sure what to get, because they seem to be the same.

http://www.amazon.com/Seymour-Duncan-Vintage-Rhythm-Electric/dp/B0002F4XOW/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=musical-instruments&qid=1234537757&sr=8-4

http://www.amazon.com/Seymour-Duncan-Five-Two-Fender-Pickup/dp/B0002E2GOW/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=musical-instruments&qid=1234537829&sr=1-4

http://www.amazon.com/STR-Rhythm-Pickups-Tele-STR-2/dp/B000BW78A2/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=musical-instruments&qid=1234537829&sr=1-6

So if anyone could point me in the right direction as to how to buy the correct pickup in between all the different ones out there, I'd appreciate it.

thanks in ad vance.
I live in Guatemala, south of Mexico. As far as music stores, we only have like 3 different ones, at least the good ones.

Finding a pickup is not easy becasue they are way to expensive, its just easier if I ship them to my PO Box in FL.

Hmmm, what else... I heard about SD from my cousin who got some David Gilmour strat pickups for his guitar, and they sound incredible, pink floyd all the way.

So I thought of changing the pickups from my guitar and I always liked the sound of the Telecaster, specially in the Stairway to heaven solo. Seemed like a good investment and learning experience.

As far as budget, I'm thinking less than $100 or $120, becasue of shipping, shipping taxes, us taxes, local taxes... so anything that I buy from around $100 turns out being around $150+ in the end (and that is still cheaper than what I can get here)
sorry, but David Gilmour uses EMGs not SDs. as far as I know...

you're just going to change the neck pickup? you could probably find the exact pickup that Jimmy Page used, but I think it's a custom shop pickup.

and you might want to look at pickups on the manufacturers' websites'. just a thought :P: that'll show you the difference between each pickup.
well, on the box it says Seymour Duncan, and David Gilmour, mayb e they are custom made replicas?? idk, its just what I saw...
Honestly if you are going to buy a new guitar try to buy one with the pickups you want or good pickups. If you have to buy one without great pickups you want some clarity instead of the muddy stock pickups a lot of guitars come with.

If you're playing metal you'll get killer low end and high end from a dimarzio D sonic. The X2n would also suit you.

EMG's I'm not a fan of. I used to be a fan of them when I first upgraded my crappy passives to EMG's. It sounded awesome. But then I got ahold of a guitar with good passives and couldn't believe how heavy they sounded. It worked with my heavy mahogany wood.

I'd read the descriptions of each pickup. Don't buy a pickup because someone else uses them. Dimarzio by far makes the best pickups imo. Go to dimarzio.com

EDIT: Sorry you're not playing metal. I didn't read what kindof pickups you were wanting. Honestly if you want a good neck pickup mostly you can buy a guitar with a good one stock. The guitar might cost you a little more but I'd buy one with a good one so I don't have to replace it.
Last edited by hcsn2008 at Feb 13, 2009,
Well, I already bought the guitar. It wsa my first guitar, and I'm just thinking of upgrading the pickups, only the neck one, because I want a more Tele sound, clean vintage capable of playing bluessy notes or rock.

I'm pretty comfortable with the ones at the bridge, middle possition, they sound allright and I like the way they sound together in the 4th possition, or 2nd, idk where the pickup selector starts.

Anyways, thanks all for the info, I'm looking at different ones and listening to the samples but keep the help coming. I'm learning..

Also I am just looking for passive pickups, because I don't like the sound of active ones and they would mean more work.
Quote by Sonic Blast
sorry, but David Gilmour uses EMGs not SDs. as far as I know...

you're just going to change the neck pickup? you could probably find the exact pickup that Jimmy Page used, but I think it's a custom shop pickup.

and you might want to look at pickups on the manufacturers' websites'. just a thought :P: that'll show you the difference between each pickup.

David Gilmour uses/used (I think he uses something different now) EMGs because of their quiet operation not for their tone.

Page, for the most part, has just used stock pickups.

As for as David Gilmour and Seymour Duncan single coils, he used to have an SSL-1 in the bridge of his Black Strat.

Also, Tele pickups have a slightly different dimension than Strat single coils. Don't expect it to fit properly.