I'm just sharing this to illustrate the nuts out there.. and buyer beware...

So.. I put an add into Kijiji that I'm looking for a Gibson, Martin or Taylor for $1000 and that I would consider damaged instruments if I thought I could repair them myself.

A guy e-mails me and says he's got a Gibson Dove early 70's, but it was left in an unheated home for several month. Well, being in Edmonton and the winter has been in the -30's a couple of times this season ... I'm thinking that's bad news. I write him back saying normally a Dove would go for $3000 + and that is out of my price range, I've got $1000 - $1200 bucks to spend. If the guitar is damaged in such a way I can repair it, I'm happy to offer him that much, I'd be happy to take a look and give him a fair assesment, whether I can afford the guitar or not.

In the meantime I'm thinking if the guitar is in good shape, it would damn nice to have in the collection so I'm looking for way to beg, borrow, cash in RRSP ... whatever to get a fair offer together If the guitar is undamaged. He gets back to me clearly agitated saying he wouldn't let me look at the guitar and that I'm trying to rip him off. To put him at ease, I suggest he goes to a 3rd party appraiser and if it comes out at price I can afford I'll be happy to make an offer based on the appraisal price.

I can't even copy paste his last e-mail to me because half the words are "F", and the other half have the "F" is an acutal part of the word.

I'm now thinking I've got an absolute nut on my case and that he's going to hunt me down somehow and kill me.

Who knew trying to buy a guitar could be so..... adventurous?
2001 Gibson USA Les Paul Studio Black/Gold
2008 Alvarez-Yairi DY40C
2004 Taylor 310
Marshall AVT275

Ex guits 2002 Ovation Elite, 1995 Seagull 12 BC Rich Gunslinger Snakeskin Various Yamaha Various Sammick Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone ES
I just checked, and I've already deleted... I didn't want to be tempted to answer and egg him on.... I do have remember one of the more imaginative lines in which he called me a
"skin fluting jiz sucker"..... I actually found that mildly amusing amidst my shock.
2008 Alvarez-Yairi DY40C
2004 Taylor 310
Marshall AVT275

Ex guits 2002 Ovation Elite, 1995 Seagull 12 BC Rich Gunslinger Snakeskin Various Yamaha Various Sammick Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone ES
what a jerk. Guy is probably trying to scrap you. And by the way you have got a solid head to think about the third part appraiser
i enjoy head
What I found amusing is that you tried to help him by telling him to go to a 3rd party appraiser and he sent you that email, lol.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Ya.. there's all kinds... on a more sane note, I was able to pick up a Taylor 310 for $740 CAD last night. $600 USD.... he was asking 750, and I tried to talk him down to $700, but no go... his price was already good and he knew it. Super nice guy though. In complete contrast to the nut above, I ended chatting with this guy for about and hour or more on all things guitar.
2008 Alvarez-Yairi DY40C
2004 Taylor 310
Marshall AVT275