Well I was gonna buy a Marshall AVT150HXT Tribute head and cab for 1500.

http://www.marshallamps.com/product.asp?productCode=AVT150HXT

Which im lead to believe is a good price. Ive done some research on here and people dont seem to to be too fond of the avt's. But ive only heard people talk about the AVT100XT, or 50XT. Are the heads and cabs better? is it not wise to buy this amp? What are some other suggestions for around 1300 - 1800?

I play 'posthardcore, screamo' kind of stuff I guess. Underoath, As cities burn, saosin, dance gavin dance kind of thing. However I guess im just looking for a good sound I dont particually want a really beefy sound, id rather a good lead and clean sound.
You could do so much better for the money.
Call me the rap assassinator. Rhymes rugged and built like Schwarzenegger
Well, you're in Australia, so...

Used 5150/6505 (maybe not quite within your price range)
Wait for 6505+ 112 combo to come out (no idea when)
Krank Rev Jr (try this one out first, it's a love/hate amp)
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Forgot:
Randall RG50TC for a bit less, or RH50T and whatever cab you want.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Dude, please, no. The Spiders may be just about the worst amps ever created.

Why do you want a stack anyway?
Quote by Cathbard
ive used that amps 10 times, believe it sucks, it sound just like the MG
Gear:
Morpheus Droptune
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Bugera 333xl 212
SCHECTER JEFF LOOMIS C7 FR
Ha yeh ive heard theyre horrible.

Ive got a crate 65w atm. which is okay for prac. but the bands waiting on me to get a half stack so we can start gigging. ill prob just go with something safe like a JCM or something?
Let me tell you something.

You don't need a stack to gig.

Brian May uses a wall of Vox AC30 combos. The Edge from U2 plays the biggest arenas in the world with two AC30s. Brad Nowell from Sublime used Marshall combos.

The main reason to get a stack is to look cool. And I'll never say that there's anything wrong with wanting to look cool, I'm in the process of buying a rack rig for that reason.
Quote by Cathbard
Well to be honest that was kinda the reason. I could maybe gig with the crate but it would just sound bad. plus just starting out some places out here dont let you mike up your amp. and yeh, its kinda just standard to have a stack to gig.
The fact that your Crate sounds bad while gigging is more because it's solid state than a combo, and you can easily mike a combo.

But, if you would rather have a stack, go for either the Krank Rev Jr stack or a Randall RH50T and whatever cab you want and can afford (Except Behringer).

The Krank would probably be a bit better, but like I said most people have issues EQing them because of their love/hate sweep knob, and some also find it a bit loose so you might want a compressor.

The Randall is brilliant for anything up to thrash metal and should be OK for the lead tone you want, but you might want to consider investing in an overdrive pedal just as a booster if it doesn't have quite enough gain for you.
Quote by Cathbard
There's also some interesting stuff on eBay if you're not afraid of taking that route.

http://musical-instruments.shop.ebay.com.au/items/Amplifiers__W0QQLHQ5fPriceZQ2eQ2e2Q2c000Q40cQQQ5ftrkparmsZ66Q253A2Q257C65Q253A1Q257C39Q253A1QQ_catrefZ1QQ_mPrRngCbxZ1QQ_sacatZ167878QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQ_sopZ3QQ_scZ1

Take a look and if there's anything you want to ask about, ask.
Quote by Cathbard
one last question?

Would a JCM be a good amp for that price range. forget what im sound im going for. just in general?