I've received all the parts I need to start assembling my dads old American strat, but I wanted to properly shield the guitar before I wired up the pick ups, and started setting it up. However in the center of the main cavity*, there to be a ground and I am not sure whether or not I should just lay the shielding over it, or perhaps cut a hole in the copper and go around it and leave that dime sized area unshielded.

*I am also wondering why this guitar has a single rectangular recess for pick ups rather than the usual three slots as seen on most single coils Strats. See pic below.

Any help is much appreciated.

(Invalid img)
Guitars
Godin LG HMB (SD SH-13 Bridge)
Fender Stratocaster (Texas Specials)
Squire Jagmaster (SD SH-4 / TH-4)
Martin DXK2 Dreadnought
Ovation Celebrity CS 25

Amps
Marshall AVT50 & AVT20
Peavey Classic 30
Kendrick Texas Crude Roughneck
Not sure exactly what you mean, are you saying thats a hole in the middle of the cavity?

Where does it go?

and one big recess for pickups is called a 'swimming pool route' its just basically the cheapest and easiest way of routing a body for pickups that is going to be covered by a pickguard.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
That hole is supposed to be on teles, all of them, look for any schematics or pics of just body, and you see the hole, it's for bridge pickup.
Quote by Absent Mind
Not sure exactly what you mean, are you saying thats a hole in the middle of the cavity?

Where does it go?

and one big recess for pickups is called a 'swimming pool route' its just basically the cheapest and easiest way of routing a body for pickups that is going to be covered by a pickguard.

The hole may be ground wire? But because it's a strat it more likely grounds to the vibrato spring holder, and yes that is a cheaper way to route a strat body.
Quote by timbit2006
That hole is supposed to be on teles, all of them, look for any schematics or pics of just body, and you see the hole, it's for bridge pickup.

i dont think you read what he was asking.

the hole is for the groundwire to the trem claw as others have said. you can just either cut around it or cover it up then poke the hole out so you can run the wire through to the claw.
Yea, I just wasn't sure if I needed to connect the ground wire from the tremolo claw to the copper shielding I'm installing to properly ground it. I've never wired a guitar up before, so I wanted to make sure I was doing it right, so I don't end up getting electrocuted because of a faulty ground on behalf of my d.i.y shielding job.
Guitars
Martin DXK2 Dreadnought
Ovation Celebrity CS 25

Amps
Marshall AVT50 & AVT20
Peavey Classic 30
Quote by DrivenMind
Yea, I just wasn't sure if I needed to connect the ground wire from the tremolo claw to the copper shielding I'm installing to properly ground it. I've never wired a guitar up before, so I wanted to make sure I was doing it right, so I don't end up getting electrocuted because of a faulty ground on behalf of my d.i.y shielding job.

well you can ground the shielding too. as for electrocution, well... the shielding really doesnt do much in that regard. it's more for cancelling out noise and interference. i wouldnt worry about a bad ground leading to electrocution since if that happens the problem would be caused by the amp, not the guitar.
Quote by noisefarmer
well you can ground the shielding too. as for electrocution, well... the shielding really doesnt do much in that regard. it's more for cancelling out noise and interference. i wouldnt worry about a bad ground leading to electrocution since if that happens the problem would be caused by the amp, not the guitar.

Yea, I'm shielding it for the noise benefits. But I didn't want the shielding to unintentionally become part of the circuitry.

But good to know on the electrocution thing, being a product of the amp, and not the guitar. That eases my mind.

Thanks guys.
Guitars
Martin DXK2 Dreadnought
Ovation Celebrity CS 25

Amps
Marshall AVT50 & AVT20
Peavey Classic 30