Page 1 of 2
There must be something that connects many musicians togather, especially talented ones, in a way that they have same interests, physical structures, ideas, personality, and so on.
When you start a complicated instrument like a guitar and become a virtuoso pro, the best ones all have something in common.

The most obvious one I see is that many, especially the British, were interested in art at the beginning then converted their interests to music.
This is the case of Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page, Jeff Beck, John Lennon, and many many others.
Being visual and having a good ear probably has a connection.

Only some people actually study guitar in college for four years and get graduated, like John Petrucci, Steve Vai, and John Mayer, but they aren't the ones considered the "best" obviously.
It's not really common, because those who graduated Berklee become very technical... unless John Mayer who became more of a pop star than a bluesman.

Many were not athletes, which I find very interesting.
Sports was never in Clapton's radar but fishing, Hendrix had the worst grades in everything physical when he was enlisted to the Airborne Division, Jimmy Page was a book-worm as a teenager and bunked off PE frequently because he was especially unathletic in class than anyone else, and Ritchie Blackmore, while having interest in football (the REAL football, not the one on the Superbowl), was mediocre as an athlete and was naturally thin and clingy as a child.
I hate sports, besides Basketball because I can actually enjoy it in a descent level, and I feel a connection.

What else?

Discuss
Washburn Idol WI64
Roland Microcube

Quote by jimmy_neutron
Its still hair, you know.
Uhhh, they style of music they play. Obviously someone like Mikko Lindstrom from HIM is influenced by bands like, Billy Idol, Type O Negative, Black Sabbath and The 69 Eyes. While Tony Rombola from Godsmack was influenced by Pantera, Metallica, and Led Zeppelin.
"Ignorance runs rampant through this virus we call life, dead one day, alive the next, never breaking a stride. As I take it all in and realize, nothing we do can stop it, I release the hatred from my eyes, only to feel it within."
Quote by crackhutch
Uhhh, they style of music they play. Obviously someone like Mikko Lindstrom from HIM is influenced by bands like, Billy Idol, Type O Negative, Black Sabbath and The 69 Eyes. While Tony Rombola from Godsmack was influenced by Pantera, Metallica, and Led Zeppelin.

Godsmack is obviously a Zeppelin fan, because they released Good Times Bad Times, a cover, as a single... which was surprisingly good.
Washburn Idol WI64
Roland Microcube

Quote by jimmy_neutron
Quote by radomu

The most obvious one I see is that many, especially the British, were interested in art at the beginning then converted their interests to music.
This is the case of Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page, Jeff Beck, John Lennon, and many many others.

Worked for me. Although, I've not lost my interest in drawing and painting, I had for a while, but it's really come back properly.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Quote by urbanfox
tl;dr?

It's not that long you lazy bastard!
"Ignorance runs rampant through this virus we call life, dead one day, alive the next, never breaking a stride. As I take it all in and realize, nothing we do can stop it, I release the hatred from my eyes, only to feel it within."
Overly flamboyant?
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
Quote by Momentosis
Overly flamboyant?

Overly stingy
Washburn Idol WI64
Roland Microcube

Quote by jimmy_neutron
Quote by radomu
There must be something that connects many musicians togather, especially talented ones, in a way that they have same interests, physical structures, ideas, personality, and so on.
When you start a complicated instrument like a guitar and become a virtuoso pro, the best ones all have something in common.

Only some people actually study guitar in college for four years and get graduated, like John Petrucci, Steve Vai, and John Mayer, but they aren't the ones considered the "best" obviously.
It's not really common, because those who graduated Berklee become very technical... unless John Mayer who became more of a pop star than a bluesman.

Many were not athletes, which I find very interesting.
Sports was never in Clapton's radar but fishing, Hendrix had the worst grades in everything physical when he was enlisted to the Airborne Division, Jimmy Page was a book-worm as a teenager and bunked off PE frequently because he was especially unathletic in class than anyone else, and Ritchie Blackmore, while having interest in football (the REAL football, not the one on the Superbowl), was mediocre as an athlete and was naturally thin and clingy as a child.
I hate sports, besides Basketball because I can actually enjoy it in a descent level, and I feel a connection.

What else?

Discuss

Just FYI, John Mayer never graduated from Berklee. He went for a couple years and dropped out, moved to Atlanta and played at dives and small clubs until he got signed.
Quote by sixhundredsix
Just FYI, John Mayer never graduated from Berklee. He went for a couple years and dropped out, moved to Atlanta and played at dives and small clubs until he got signed.

never knew that.
I was pretty disappointed with his work, while some of his songs are good, most are essentially pop songs.
That's okay, but when you're salvating for more blues, you don't want to hear Gravity.
Washburn Idol WI64
Roland Microcube

Quote by jimmy_neutron
Quote by slipperymess
c'mon TS how can you hate sports curling is teh shiz man.

Curling lol
Washburn Idol WI64
Roland Microcube

Quote by jimmy_neutron
I remember watching an interview with Billy Corgan and Jimmy Chamberlain from Smashing Pumpkins, and Jimmy mentioned that sometimes when they meet other popular artists they sometimes assume things about them right away because most of the time it takes a certain type of person to be a great musician.

Musicians generally are people with dedication to art. I think fewer and fewer realists/thinkers are musicians now because of how fast-paced the world is now. It's basically choose one or the other.
Quote by radomu
Curling lol

Woo Canada!
I'm that dude with the fro.
Quote by angus fan16
Long story short, a whale flew out of the ocean, landed next to me and shot like a wall of water straight into my face.
Quote by musiclover2399
I remember watching an interview with Billy Corgan and Jimmy Chamberlain from Smashing Pumpkins, and Jimmy mentioned that sometimes when they meet other popular artists they sometimes assume things about them right away because most of the time it takes a certain type of person to be a great musician.

Musicians generally are people with dedication to art. I think fewer and fewer realists/thinkers are musicians now because of how fast-paced the world is now. It's basically choose one or the other.

I mean seriously, that's what I love about musicians.
Dedication to Art.

Arts is the real word, because some loved History and Literature, like I do.
I've been an artsy since I was born, I used to draw and fiddle around medicore drawings since I was at a very early age.
These days my study of choice is history.

I hate Science and math, they're incredibly dull.
I don't see any rockers who have a significant interest in both of those two subjects.
Washburn Idol WI64
Roland Microcube

Quote by jimmy_neutron
Quote by radomu

John Petrucci dropped out, along with John Myung and Mike Portnoy.

Quote by radomu

I don't see any rockers who have a significant interest in both of those two subjects.

Brian May's an astrophysicist.
Quote by esidebill
When I was very young... I asked a man why his guitar had 4 strings. He smacked me on the head and said "SON THIS IS A BASS". I have been afraid of bassists ever since.

Quote by Zecromancer
Those brightened my day
Last edited by Archaea_246 at Feb 13, 2009,
Quote by radomu
Dedication to Art.

I've been an artsy since I was born, I used to draw and fiddle around medicore drawings since I was at a very early age.

Right here. I'm currently studying les Sciences de la Nature. And even though I'm amazing at history (I pull off 98s and 99s), I just find it incredibly dull.
I'm that dude with the fro.
Quote by angus fan16
Long story short, a whale flew out of the ocean, landed next to me and shot like a wall of water straight into my face.
Quote by radomu
Dedication to Art.

Yeah, I'm not really surprised. Centuries back, musicians were also dedicated to other things. Warriors and "scientists" were musicians too way back when, but now we spend years and years developing and getting ready to fulfill our roles in society. Although art is in the real world (all over, pretty much), you have to actually look for art that has true meaning instead of just glancing around.
We all want amps that go to eleven. Seriously, most of us are music fantics.
Last edited by Blackwaterson89 at Feb 13, 2009,
Well I'd like to share that Matthew Bellamy ( my idol lol) has a very similar life as me so far.
We both started piano at a really young age, we both started guitar at 14, and now for me to complete it, i needa get into a band, win the battle of the bands and become famous
Quote by Garret.
fortify your anus

you never know what could happen
Quote by happytimeharry
I just had an odd mental image of someone building up a fort around their asshole made out of Lincoln Logs.

Quote by sacred_silence7
it's cause you forgot to put in an extra hammer-on

MUSE FAN?!!
Quote by Archaea_246
John Petrucci dropped out, along with John Myung and Mike Portnoy.

Brian May's an astrophysicist.

Queen's a different sort of musicians.
They're all intellectuals.
You can hear the influence of classical music on their songs so that's probably the nerd effect, if you excuse me...

Yeah, I'm not really surprised. Centuries back, musicians were also dedicated to other things. Warriors and "scientists" were musicians too way back when, but now we spend years and years developing and getting ready to fulfill our roles in society. Although art is in the real world (all over, pretty much), you have to actually look for art that has true meaning instead of just glancing around.

I don't like Math and Science because they're basically facts.
You can't do a lot with them, and they're stingy in a way that you have to remember the massive amounts of formulas and symptoms and that to pass the class.
You can apply a lot to History and Literature because they're both essentially thing you can renovate on without inventing or experimenting, but by just thinking.

A guitar has endless possibilities, you can play it with a brush if you want and no one would care.
They're connected
Washburn Idol WI64
Roland Microcube

Quote by jimmy_neutron
Quote by radomu
You can hear the influence of classical music on their songs so that's probably the nerd effect, if you excuse me...

You can't do a lot with them, and they're stingy in a way that you have to remember the massive amounts of formulas and symptoms and that to pass the class.
You can apply a lot to History and Literature because they're both essentially thing you can renovate on without inventing or experimenting, but by just thinking.

A guitar has endless possibilities, you can play it with a brush if you want and no one would care.
They're connected

Ha, I like that. I think I'm gonna try and play guitar with a brush now.
Quote by musiclover2399

I'm quite a realist/thinker, but I remain completely unrealistic in my ambitions with music, and I always will. I think the ability to naively believe that you can accomplish your wildest dreams in spite of what everyone and the "real world" says is a valuable asset.
We're only strays.
Quote by 1337guitarplayr
Well I'd like to share that Matthew Bellamy ( my idol lol) has a very similar life as me so far.
We both started piano at a really young age, we both started guitar at 14, and now for me to complete it, i needa get into a band, win the battle of the bands and become famous

You will fail at that miserably if you just emulate someone else. Your music needs to have what only you can give it, otherwise it's a waste.
We're only strays.
Quote by 1337guitarplayr

But do you share the same birthday, like I do with Jimmy Page????
Washburn Idol WI64
Roland Microcube

Quote by jimmy_neutron
Quote by sixhundredsix
I don't think any of the people he names graduated from Berklee. Just attended it.
Quote by radomu
Dedication to Art.

Quote by radomu
Listening or liking Classical Music doesn't automatically make you intellectual or nerdy. I hate that idea, because it also makes people listen to it so they think they're smarter. Like "Hey, I get down to Brahms Piano Sonatas! I'm smarter than these Fall Out Boy fans"
Quote by radomu
Yeah, you don't know what you're talking about.
Quote by InvaderTSN
I'm not really sure you can use Brian May as an example, seeing as how he's the reincarnation of Jesus.

A Jesus that couldn't stop his band mate from dying from aids.
Washburn Idol WI64
Roland Microcube

Quote by jimmy_neutron
Quote by radomu
A Jesus that couldn't stop his band mate from dying from aids.

Well, God hates fags, duh.
kill all humans
Quote by InvaderTSN
Fuck you.

lol, Brian May lover here
Washburn Idol WI64
Roland Microcube

Quote by jimmy_neutron
I guess I'm just a black sheep of musicians.

I am very athletic (I start varsity football), I love science, and I'm a thinker.

On the other hand, I love and appreciate all mediums of art.

I'm a very self-conflicting person. I've got two sides to me. I have my academic side, and I have my artistic side. They are both just a strong as the other but they never meet. My athletics goes with my academic side in a strange way.
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

Quote by John Frusciante
Music isn't the Olympics. It's not about showing other people what you can do with a piece of wood in your hands that has strings on, it's about making sounds that are good.
Well, Serge Pizzorno from Kasabian is a great guitarist in my opinion, and he's also a great soccer player.

Brian May as mentioned is an astro-physicist or whatever.

John Petrucci is buff as hell.

Paul Gilbert also dropped out of guitar school, like most others did.

I think the one thing I've noticed amongst really popular guitarists, is that a strong majority of them are at least 'skinny'. And a whole lot of them are above average on the good-looking-scale.
Page 1 of 2