I have a question. I've been going through many a thread here in musician talk, and have stumbled upon the sentence "It's in the key of D Minor" or something similar quite a few times. Does this mean the same in musical terms as the key of F Major (Do I just use the Co5 and transpose it to the major key)? Or does a minor key have different chord structures etc? Can someone please explain this to me.

Also, I am not figuring out any use for the melodic and harmonic minor modes. Can someone please explain where I would use these modes as well?

Thank you UG!
Quote by Aguamento

I'm glad he handled it calmly. Joe Satriani should realize that with only 7 notes in the world, some songs are going to sound similar.

My Gear

Yamaha G-225
Ibanez RG7321
Santa-fe 5 String
Ahead 7A Drumsticks
D Minor has the same key signature as F Major. D Minor is the Aeolian mode of F major. They have the same notes.
Equipment:
Gibson SG Special Faded
Fender Standard Telecaster
Fender 50th Anniversary Stratocaster
Guild D-40 Richie Havens Signature Model
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Generally in D minor your chords would be D minor, E diminished, F major, G minor, A major, Bb major, C# diminished. The seventh scale degree usually raised in a minor key from minor to major.
They are not the same, and they are not interchangeable. Read the theory sticky and the Crusades articles.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
They are not the same, and they are not interchangeable. Read the theory sticky and the Crusades articles.

Could you possibly link? Or please tell me which installment? Thanks...
Quote by Aguamento

I'm glad he handled it calmly. Joe Satriani should realize that with only 7 notes in the world, some songs are going to sound similar.

My Gear

Yamaha G-225
Ibanez RG7321
Santa-fe 5 String
Ahead 7A Drumsticks
Quote by CrAzE124
Could you possibly link? Or please tell me which installment? Thanks...

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/search.php?s=the+crusade&w=columns

All of them. Start with number one.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by CrAzE124
Does this mean the same in musical terms as the key of F Major (Do I just use the Co5 and transpose it to the major key)?
No. Minor keys have progressions that resolve on minor chords and will resolve on different notes to major keys.
So a song in C major might resolve on C, but a song in Aminor will resolve on A.
Quote by CrAzE124
Or does a minor key have different chord structures etc?
Yep, in minor keys you'll see alot of V7-i movements. So E7 - Am would resolve a progresssion in a minor.
Quote by CrAzE124
Can someone please explain this to me.
No, because MT'ers are invariably idiots (before anyone thinks I'm being arrogant, that statement includes me).
Quote by CrAzE124
Also, I am not figuring out any use for the melodic and harmonic minor modes. Can someone please explain where I would use these modes as well?
Unless you're a crazy jazzer, there are none. Actually, unless you're writing pre-baroque music (or folk based music) or doing some weird jazz way of improvising, modes are mostly useless. Don't waste your time on them.

If you are a crazy jazzer:
Melodic minor can be used over minor chords
Dorian b2 can be used over Xmb9 chords
Lydian augmented can be used over X+maj7 (I think that's the right way of writing it?) chords
Lydian dominant can be used over dominant chords
Mixolydian b6 can also be used over dominant chords (best to use it over a functioning dominant chord in a V7-i like progression)
Aeolian b5 can be used over half diminished chords
superlocrian (locrian b4) can be used over altered dominant chords

Harmonic minor can be used over minor chords
Locrian nat6 can be used over full diminished or half diminshed chords.
Ionian augmented can be used over X+maj7 chords
Dorian #4 can be used over m#11 chords or even just a regular minor chord
Phrygian dominant can be used over dominant chords (best to use it over a functioning dominant chord in a V7-i like progression)
Lydian #2 is mostly useless (anyone know a common chord it can be used over?)
Ultralocrian can be used over full diminished chords

Keeping in mind, to use these modes as I've implied means playing the changes.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.