Hey
The band I'm in is playing a battle of the bands soon, and we're getting marked on originality, ability and stage presence. We're pretty experienced musicians, and our music is different to the local scene, however, we severely lack stage presence.
We play kinda post-rock music, and we go off in our own little worlds in our heads. While this is exciting for us, the audience aren't having a blast. We've had comments about this before, and we wanna work on it.
My question is, what could we do to give a more exciting show. Jumping around and whatnot will look out of place with the music we play.
Any ideas will be a massive help.
Thanks
If the song is fast-paced then it would make it easier, make sure you get into the song. I remember once playing a song at a jazz gig and it was insanely fast and I was really into it. I was first tapping my foot to keep time but then my entire body went with it and I didn't realize it until afterwards when I had a few people ask me if I was having a seizure. So yeah, jump, move around, follow the rhythm, look up videos of The Who in the old days.
Last edited by pwrmax at Feb 13, 2009,
just go to youtube and look up bands of similar genres and see what they do

then go play/listen to your song and try to just feel it
Call me Justyn

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
What I've noticed with many Post-Rock bands is that their stage presence isn't the best example of a stage presence to follow. They're often into the music, swaying a bit and just appear really into the music. Although there are some exceptions (like so: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czmgu74dbec&feature=related), it would be rare to find an Angus Young of the post-rock genre. That being said, I've found post-rock fans don't mind at all, as they too, are just grooving to the epic soundscapes and textures blasted at amazing levels. They're understanding and appreciative of it.

Bands that have a lack of really exciting stage presence often find ways to keep the audience entertained visually by having some visual effects, such as a light show, or a big screen in the back with film/pictures/motions being played (think Tortoise, or even Porcupine Tree, a progressive band who was sponsored by Panasonic for a couple of tours).

If you can't get hooked up with the visual effects, just really show that you're into the music, show that you are the music.
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
Quote by bluesrocker101
What I've noticed with many Post-Rock bands is that their stage presence isn't the best example of a stage presence to follow. They're often into the music, swaying a bit and just appear really into the music. Although there are some exceptions (like so: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czmgu74dbec&feature=related), it would be rare to find an Angus Young of the post-rock genre. That being said, I've found post-rock fans don't mind at all, as they too, are just grooving to the epic soundscapes and textures blasted at amazing levels. They're understanding and appreciative of it.

Bands that have a lack of really exciting stage presence often find ways to keep the audience entertained visually by having some visual effects, such as a light show, or a big screen in the back with film/pictures/motions being played (think Tortoise, or even Porcupine Tree, a progressive band who was sponsored by Panasonic for a couple of tours).

If you can't get hooked up with the visual effects, just really show that you're into the music, show that you are the music.

Thanks man, pretty sound advice. Good taste in music too, I might add.
The venue did say something about having a projector handy should we need one, and I have a mate who's into animation, so that idea could be a shout.

Also, I dont really talk much between songs, just the thankyou after each applause. Would a normal audience (not necessarily post rock listeners) get that we let the music talk for us, or should i maybe talk more at this gig, to score higher?
From one post-rock fan to another.

I don't know the best answer for your question, since I don't really have experience talking to crowds (I will be soon, eek!) but I'm guessing keeping it all in moderation. You don't want to be talking too much, but you at least want to be talking. Check out some bands that talk on stage, and see how they seem to be.
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
if your looking for fans u have to talk a little n get each person to show some personality and likeablility and thats how u attract fans so if u have like a funny drummer let him tell a joke that goes with the show or a flashy guitarist who dresses flashy might give girls in the crowd the look while playing and maybe wink or sumthing just be interactibve with the crowd
Quote by Allnightmask22

Alternatively, have your friends hold him down, then take a dump in his mouth, make sure your genitals don't touch him though, that's gay.

Quote by RageAgainst...
Teddy-Metal
for those who like to mosh, but just wanna cuddle afterwards

smashing pumkins fans=)^