One of my friends stateside is starting out, looking for a bass with good rock tone and playability due to her small hands. I recommended both the Geddy Lee signature, and the Aerodyne. Ive played both, and know the Geddy's strength, but has anyone here got experience with the Aerodyne? I played it briefly, but Im thinking more from long term reliability etc...
Nope, but i would have to admit its the only fender bass I would buy. As for her small hands, try out an Ibanez
Quote by Azgirio
Yeah, you definitely raped his churches and burned his women.

Quote by LordBishek
Forgive the bluntness, but what in the chucklefucking hell is this?
the Geddy Lee is a great choice. i've played the Aerodyne, it's ok but, i felt it had a "shallow" sound. kind of "plastic" like tone. perhaps it's the basswood.
I think a Geddy Lee may be a bit expensive as a first bass. Look at some squiers, Mim Fenders, Ibanez, yamaha, etc. I have no problems with those necks, so neither should she. Even P-basses are no problem. I probably have the same sized hands as her. If you can, let her 'come' here, it may be easier with no middle man. She can ask the questions herself, should one pop up (:
Quote by 83lespaulstudio
the Geddy Lee is a great choice. i've played the Aerodyne, it's ok but, i felt it had a "shallow" sound. kind of "plastic" like tone. perhaps it's the basswood.

I felt the exact same way about the aerodyne jazz I tried on multiple occasions.
Quote by Canadian_basser
I think a Geddy Lee may be a bit expensive as a first bass. Look at some squiers, Mim Fenders, Ibanez, yamaha, etc. I have no problems with those necks, so neither should she. Even P-basses are no problem. I probably have the same sized hands as her. If you can, let her 'come' here, it may be easier with no middle man. She can ask the questions herself, should one pop up (:

The MiM Fenders are upwards of $600 now!
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
Quote by TooFast

for serious? I take it Fender is one of the brands jacking all their prices then... ): Looks like my P-bass is defintely to be off craigslist...
when i was buying my Geddy, it was between that or the Aerodyne. the Geddy felt so much better and sounded better in my opinion...

however those are a bit much for a first bass as has already been mentioned. i would have to recommend an ibanez. they are easy to play with small hands and make for a great first bass for not a whole lot of money.
The world and its desires pass away, but the man who does the will of God lives forever.
-1 John 2:17
Quote by TooFast

"I think you are over-reacting."

500 for the MIM P-bass.
550 for the MIM Jazz.

The Geddy has a great sound, but it has that god-awful neck (at least in my opinion). The Aerodyne feels great, the body is great, and I'm a sucker for a matching headstock. But tone is lacking, the stock pickups and bridge are utter crap in comparison to Geddy's BadAss II and Vintage Jazz pups.

If you really like the P/J configuration, check out the Reggie Hamilton Sig. Would definitely be alot closer to the Geddy than the Aerodyne is.
Quote by Captain Insano
"I think you are over-reacting."

500 for the MIM P-bass.
550 for the MIM Jazz.

The Geddy has a great sound, but it has that god-awful neck (at least in my opinion). The Aerodyne feels great, the body is great, and I'm a sucker for a matching headstock. But tone is lacking, the stock pickups and bridge are utter crap in comparison to Geddy's BadAss II and Vintage Jazz pups.

If you really like the P/J configuration, check out the Reggie Hamilton Sig. Would definitely be alot closer to the Geddy than the Aerodyne is.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Standard-Jazz-Bass-501169-i1434654.gc
GC has 'em at $549. Where'd you find your price?
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
Thanks guys, I did say that as a beginner she'd be better off starting with something like the VM squiers and then modding them up if she enjoyed it or using them as a backup bass for something else. I think the bug has already caught on from when shes been having lessons...
I think the replica Fender 70s J and 50s P are both MIM and upwards of $600. The standards are still about 4-500.
Thanks for all the help gents...
Squier Jazz Bass

/thread
USA Fender Precision w/ Badass III + SD 1/4 pounders
MIM Fender Jazz
T21 SansAmp VT Bass
Gallien Krueger MB212
Quote by Canadian_basser
for serious? I take it Fender is one of the brands jacking all their prices then... ): Looks like my P-bass is defintely to be off craigslist...

Well the dollar is weak, and MiMs are made in other countries so of course they're gonna raise prices.
Quote by TooFast

I know its ****ing ridiculous. I was saving up for a MIM P Bass but they've lost a customer. I'm going for an ATK now.
Quote by RSX
Well the dollar is weak, and MiMs are made in other countries so of course they're gonna raise prices.

fair enough. still sucks though There's an (apparantly) MIA fender precision bass going for $100CAD on ebay. Want soooooo bad, if for no othe reason than to re-sell it. I like the sounds I can get from P-basses, but not the feel. But I can't buy another bass 'til September.
Last edited by Canadian_basser at Feb 15, 2009,
My only good bass is my fender aerodyne (: i have a Jazz Aerodyne, super reliable, and sounds amazing, my fav. bass eva XP
Try adding more delay.