Pumps up the treble.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
it uses the principle that frequencies produced by your speakers hit your ears at different times. It shifts the frequencies so they sound like they are all hitting you at once, making the sound "fuller". It can be a useful tool to tighten or thicken up a sound and add topend presence. Think of it like a lazy mans active EQ. It can really take a vintage sound and add a modern edge. The drawbacks I've found with it, is it colors your tone pretty noticably, good or bad depending how much you like the sound. I noticed my recordings with it made everything have this same color too. Biggest trick with this unit is using the lowest possible settings to achieve the tone you're going for.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at Feb 13, 2009,
Quote by Erock503
it uses the principle that frequencies produced by your speakers hit your ears at different times. It shifts the frequencies so they sound like they are all hitting you at once, making the sound "fuller". It can be a useful too to tighten or thicken up a sound and add topend presence. Think of it like a lazy mans active EQ. It can really take a vintage sound and add a modern edge. The drawbacks I've found with it, is it colors your tone pretty noticably, good or bad depending how much you like the sound. I noticed my recordings with it made everything have this same color too. Biggest trick with this unit is using the lowest possible settings to achieve the tone you're going for.

Oh good, because im lookig to tighten up my tone. Hows the BBE one????
Quote by Erock503
it uses the principle that frequencies produced by your speakers hit your ears at different times. It shifts the frequencies so they sound like they are all hitting you at once, making the sound "fuller". It can be a useful too to tighten or thicken up a sound and add topend presence. Think of it like a lazy mans active EQ. It can really take a vintage sound and add a modern edge. The drawbacks I've found with it, is it colors your tone pretty noticably, good or bad depending how much you like the sound. I noticed my recordings with it made everything have this same color too. Biggest trick with this unit is using the lowest possible settings to achieve the tone you're going for.

+1.
It's one of those things were alot of people buy it, love it, and sell it shortly afterwards because they realized that the amp sounds better without it. I switch around with mine, I'll only use it sometimes.
Quote by Erock503
it uses the principle that frequencies produced by your speakers hit your ears at different times. It shifts the frequencies so they sound like they are all hitting you at once, making the sound "fuller". It can be a useful tool to tighten or thicken up a sound and add topend presence. Think of it like a lazy mans active EQ. It can really take a vintage sound and add a modern edge. The drawbacks I've found with it, is it colors your tone pretty noticably, good or bad depending how much you like the sound. I noticed my recordings with it made everything have this same color too. Biggest trick with this unit is using the lowest possible settings to achieve the tone you're going for.

^this

and I'm compelled to give you this. Credit Bartdevil_metal
Attachments:
SonicMax.jpg
Quote by bulletrocks522
Oh good, because im lookig to tighten up my tone. Hows the BBE one????

BBE is the only one I have experience with, the stomp and rack units. I've only used them in fx loops or after mic pres too, never really cared for it in front of an amp. It can definitely tighten or add sizzle and girth, but the tradeoff is you begin to lose some of the natural tone of your amp if you take the controls too high.

Quote by caraluzzo
+1.
It's one of those things were alot of people buy it, love it, and sell it shortly afterwards because they realized that the amp sounds better without it. I switch around with mine, I'll only use it sometimes.

yep, I'm the same way. I break it out once in a while, but it's not something I use consistently.

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^this

and I'm compelled to give you this. Credit Bartdevil_metal

haha, that's good.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
I like mine, but Erock basically nailed it on the head.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by caraluzzo
+1.

+1

Got the rack unit model and loved it, then I started noticing how bad it colored my tone and all the other little issues. So I played around with my eq pedal and was able to get the same results without all the issues. So I decided to sell the unit and never looked back...

And +1 to Erocks explanation..