Right now I have a Fender Super Champ XD combo amp. It's a tube and I really love the sound I get out of it...

However, when I tried to get over drums with it yesterday playing with my new drummer it could barely be heard at 10-volume. It has a line out and is 8 ohms. Also it is 15 watts and a 10" speaker.

What size cabinet do you guys suggest me getting to make it over drums? Will a 1x12 be enough or will I have to go with a 2x12? I was looking at buying the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe extension cab but I'm not to familiar with cabs because I've never owned one. Help please.
The cabinet may not be enough! 15 Watts from Fender is a little low for competing with a drummer! I had a beautiful 15W blackfaced Fender years ago that had the same problem! For some reason Fenders power ratings seem less conservative that some other manufacturers. Also 15w class A (which I think the Champs are) is not the same as 15W Class AB (push/pull) as P/P is more efficient than Class A.
Moving on.....
Try a 2x12 with more efficient speakers. I heard the stock speaker has something like 97db sensitivity, up the new ones to 100, there's 9 more db for you. (3 from each speaker, 3 from doubling the number of speakers)
Thanks for the input guys. Any more suggestions would be helpful such as what brand I should run with it. As I said earlier, I am completely new to this. I've heard Avatar cabs are pretty well built. My price range is around $300-$400.
I just bought an Avatar 1x12 loaded with a Celestion Blue, to run with my Egnater Rebel.

I have no problem keeping up with a loud drummer in a garage, with the Rebel dialed down to 1w. That's through a 1x12.
Last edited by MAYNARD at Feb 13, 2009,
Quote by MAYNARD
I just bought an Avatar 1x12 loaded with a Celestion Blue, to run with my Egnater Rebel.

I have no problem keeping up with a loud drummer in a garage, with the Rebel dialed down to 1w. That's through a 1x12.

I see. My lead guitarist owns a Orange Tiny Terror and runs it through an Avatar 2x12. How much was the Avatar with the Celestion blue?
you can indeed try and get some more efficient speakers. but just by buying a (bigger) cab won't make you that much louder.
A hero of war, Yeah that's what I'll be

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
Quote by Flea_Frusciante
I see. My lead guitarist owns a Orange Tiny Terror and runs it through an Avatar 2x12. How much was the Avatar with the Celestion blue?

A 1x12 with either of the alnico(Blue15w or Gold50w) speakers is around $450 shipped.

I was told to look for used, and found one on ebay, 30miles from my house, so I got a pretty good deal.

To my understanding, you wanna push the speaker a bit to really get it, so the 15w would be a great option. Check around on youtube. People put the Blues in little Fender combos quite a bit, it seems. Find someone with a setup similar to what you're plannin on, and contact them through youtube with questions.
Last edited by MAYNARD at Feb 13, 2009,
Okay. So this is what I've come up with. Buying a 1x12 Avatar with the Celestion Blue and replacing my stock speaker with one of those Eminence Patriot Rajin' Cajun 10" speakers which I've heard sound quite well in the Super Champ. A little past my price range but I think it would be worth it. Thoughts?
No oofense to your amp but just consider selling your Champ and adding the money to the $300 budget you've already got and you'll be able to get a seriously powered tube amp!
Moving on.....
Quote by KenG
No oofense to your amp but just consider selling your Champ and adding the money to the $300 budget you've already got and you'll be able to get a seriously powered tube amp!

Exactly what he said. Very good idea. Super Champ is not bad, but maybe just try and go for something a little more high powered.

I dunno, maybe like a Peavey Classic 30 or something. I don't know if it's good for Chili Peppers... I'm sure it could do it...
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
Exactly what he said. Very good idea. Super Champ is not bad, but maybe just try and go for something a little more high powered.

I dunno, maybe like a Peavey Classic 30 or something. I don't know if it's good for Chili Peppers... I'm sure it could do it...

I've taken it into consideration. I agree the Super Champ is a good amp because I love the cleans I get from it, but sometimes the overdrive sounds digital I must admit for a tube amp. Plus I don't get loud enough. But I don't know if I want to sacrifice that clean tone just to get louder. I know if I do get another amp I want another tube though.

My idea behind the super champ is being able to be very mobile with it and take it back to my house to practice after my band practices, While leaving the cabinet there so I dont have to lug it around.
Well, the C30's cleans are passable, for sure, and there's more headroom for them.

Have you considered saving up a bit more, perhaps?
Well I have the money. But I just have a budget of how much I want to spend for guitar stuff for now. What about a Hot Rod Deluxe? Those things get loud right? I'd like to stay with the Fender name if I buy a whole new amp. If I got something like 600+ dollars I'd probably just sell my SCXD, DS-1, and Bad monkey on Ebay or something.
Would a used Hot Rod Deluxe do it? I can buy one for around $400 one Craigslist and if I sold my current amp and a few unused pedals I could get it easily. Opinions?
If you just want cleans, that's the amp for you. If you want some gain, look for a used classic 30 for around the same price
Check out Traynor too! Good name and been around for years.
Moving on.....
I don't want to sway you one way or the other. . . the most important thing here is that you get an amp that works well for you. What I would offer is my own personal experience since I own SCXD.

I really like the tone of the amp very much, and even though I thought it got plenty loud enough for home jamming. . . I found it to be a little bit boxy sounding due to it's 10" speaker. I had heard on other forums that replacing the speaker with a Ragin Cajun or Jensen really wakes it up and makes it louder, but I thought that was just so much hype and so I was thinking about returning it and getting something used off of Craigslist (just like you) like a Hot Rod Deluxe or something along those lines, but I would have had to buy used and I don't like the idea of getting an amp used and since cabs were going so cheap on Craigslist I decided to sale an old guitar and go ahead and get one and what an improvement in volume and tone!!!

I'd say it gets about 25% louder and in a much more rich and full sounding way and I no longer have to cut back on treble to get that fender harshness out. I can really crank it up in any fashion and it sounds much better now.

However, and this is the thing. . . I bought a "Fender GE-412" which doesn't have very good speakers so I can only imagine how good it would sound with a better cab. The good thing about the GE is that it has a rather flat response which sort of works well with all of the voices, but the bass in this cab is kind of weak. . . still much better.

Another good thing about SCXD is the ability to practice at low volumes and strangely enough with the cab it's even easier because, although it gets louder, it also fills the room at lower volumes and so it sounds even better at (2) than the stock speaker did and just as quiet. Anyway, you might want to borrow a cab from sombody or just go your nearby Guitar Center and and ask them if you can plug a cab into SCXD because you are thinking of buying one so you can see how it sounds for your self.

I also suggest trying a big cab (2x12 or 4x12) as it has worked well for me. I only paid $125 for mine on Craigslist, but see much better ones go for only $150 to $200 all the time. If you want to get another amp then by all means do it, but also do your self a favor before you do and check out a cab with your amp so you know you've made the right decision. Good luck.
~JP~