Why is C9 not C2? Same question for all the other chords with an added note above the octave

Probably a retarded question.
cos its a note above the octave, which is 8, so one above is 9?

dunno
STEAM: beachhhhhhhh

Quote by cornmancer
Please daddy, just for one hour.
Quote by gabcd86
Why is C9 not C2? Same question for all the other chords with an added note above the octave

Because those notes are extensions added beyond the seventh. A C9 chord consists of a chord with a root note C and the intervals of a major third, perfect fifth, minor seventh, and major ninth. Calling it C2 wouldn't make any sense.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
I've wondered that as well. I guess because you don't really ever play the 2 in the same octave as the root, you play it an octave above.

EDIT: Disregard what I said. This:
Quote by Archeo Avis
Because those notes are extensions added beyond the seventh. A C9 chord consists of a chord with a root note C and the intervals of a major third, perfect fifth, minor seventh, and major ninth. Calling it C2 wouldn't make any sense.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Last edited by food1010 at Feb 13, 2009,
Quote by gabcd86

My interpretation is that if the third is there, you usually want the added 2nd in a different octave to avoid it clashing with that third, and calling it a 9 signifies that.

If the third isn't there, it's called a suspended 2nd, or sus2 chord.

Same thing with other extended chords you're talking about, really.
For instance, if you play an 11th chord, you're adding a 4th in a different octave than the third, if you leave out the third - it's a suspended 4th or sus4.