Page 1 of 2
You completed the circuit.
If you touch your amp/pedal -> feet touching floor (i think) -> touching strings = ouch.
Just avoid it. The same thing happens if you're a singer/guitarist and you touch the mic and the strings.
Do you have the amp running through more than one extension cord?
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
how strong was that shock? battery strong or 220V strong?
Quote by Moggan13
Serjem is like a Bishops testicals: Swollen
ಠ_ಠ
IIIIfb * KARKOLI * ytIIII(mostly rock... a little funky, a little hard just the way you want it )
Wiring problem, you've got a lose cable somewhere by the sounds of it.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
It's winter dude, it's dry. People conduct electricity. I don't think it had anything to do with your bass, but the strings being metal definitely could have caused some static shock to you. You'll be fine.
my amp has done that before, it had a bad ground on it. you should check that...
Be still my heart, I hear your back cracking...

...sounds like music to me
Quote by Spaz91
The inside of my arm brushed a string and I got a shock. Its an active bass.
What, how, why?

Dave Mustaine poured beer on it.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
I think its 10v battery strong. It can't be static as it's not going away no matter how many times I sting myself. The cables are secure so what is it inside the bass thats causing it?
Quote by Spaz91
I think its 10v battery strong. It can't be static as it's not going away no matter how many times I sting myself. The cables are secure so what is it inside the bass thats causing it?

Wires inside the bass, something may be shorting on the bridge?

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Quote by ChemicalFire
Wires inside the bass, something may be shorting on the bridge?

I was afraid of that, I shall have to live with it lest I majorly **** it up.
Quote by jakewynnrocks
my amp has done that before, it had a bad ground on it. you should check that...

My amp is a whole different story, when I play a clean tone its fine but when I use effects it makes worrying popping noises.
Well sometimes I will be sitting at the computer with my bass in my lap, and I like to rest my head on my hand so my fretting arm/hand wraps around the front of the neck. After having my arm on there for lets say, 20-30 seconds, I will feel an electric shock build up and sometimes its almost Orgasmic
Quote by Azgirio
Yeah, you definitely raped his churches and burned his women.

Quote by LordBishek
Forgive the bluntness, but what in the chucklefucking hell is this?
It's a bad earth. try using a different wall socket, or a different amp.
Last edited by jimRH7 at Feb 13, 2009,
Stop using your gear immediately and get it checked out.

If you get as much as a tingling from any part of your gear there is likely to be something amiss somewhere.

Please get it seen to now.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
This happened with my old bass. The ground was bad on it. (Then I threw it out a window and smashed it on the ground and burned it. Sigh.)
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
check the ground or reverse the polarity
'85 Fender Reissue '75 Jazz Bass ---> Ashdown MAG300h
Schecter C/SH-1 ---> Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
It scares me that you'd even think about using this again after it gave you a shock...

Even horses learn to stop touching a fence that has electricity running through it. Get it checked out and don't play it again until it has been tested after the repairs.
It's not your bass, even active basses don't really make enough power for you to feel it. The problem is definitely in the ground.

This probably isn't the case, but does your amp have a two prong plug on it? I have an old Peavey Basic 40 that had a 2-prong, and the prongs were the same size, so I could plug it in upside-down. I'd get a nasty shock from every both the amp and the bass when I did that.

Actually, I once made the mistake of plugging it upside-down, grabbing the bass, and sitting down on the amp to play...in my boxers. I was touching the strings, the metal corners on the amp, and the metal stripes on the grille all at the same time. It wasn't at all pleasant.
Nope, no sig here.
This is not a humorous thread it is serious; if you don't know stop making suggestiions, electricity does not take prisoners alive!

This may sound harsh but when you seen someone on stage, on the wrong end of an electric shock you'll know full well where I'm coming from.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Last edited by John Swift at Feb 14, 2009,
This is not a humorous thread it is serious; if you don't know stop making suggestiions, electricity does not take prisoners alive!
/QUOTE]

But every thread is a humorous one, have you never been to the pit?

Quote by DisarmGoliath
John Swift is right. Get it checked, equipment shouldn't shock you, something is wrong. For anyone else with this problem do the same.
Quote by Mutant Corn
It's not your bass, even active basses don't really make enough power for you to feel it. The problem is definitely in the ground.

yes. the problem is either in the Amp, or at the plug. it has nothing to do with the guitar itself.
Quote by John Swift
Stop using your gear immediately and get it checked out.

If you get as much as a tingling from any part of your gear there is likely to be something amiss somewhere.

Please get it seen to now.

Please. Please do. I was almost killed when I got electrocuted by my amp.

In my case, the problem wasn't the gear - it was the wall socket. Apparently, my guitarist's grandpa decided it wasn't important to tell us that the workbench in the shed we were using as a practice room was NOT grounded. At one point, I was holding my bass, which was plugged into my amp, which was plugged into the ungrounded socket. Because of some lyric work we were doing, my vocalist handed me his microphone.

I completed a circuit that was running several hundred watts.

I won't go into the details, but if my guitarist hadn't been thinking quickly and yanked out the power cord, I could have died very easily after not very long. I'm a pretty big guy, and physical pain doesn't bother me too much, but I was curled up on the ground crying like a 5 year-old girl for a good ten minutes after that. Without a doubt the worst thing that I have ever experienced in my life.

Now, I believe because in my case the socket was simply NOT grounded, I just got electrocuted and didn't get shocked - that is, there was no physical evidence, no burn, nothing. But, unless I'm mistaken, if something isn't grounded properly or if there is a short and you complete a circuit, you could get very bad electrical burn. So, especially if you've experienced this on more than one wall socket or amp, please get your gear checked immediately.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
Quote by Spaz91

what gets me is that you shocked yourself then just to make sure you shocked yourself you did it again.

anyway as everyone with an ounce of sense has said get it checked out because it's not good that you're getting a shock from your gear

what whylater said isn't necessarily going to happen to you his experience is all very specific but you could still hurt yourself quite badly if this doesn't get sorted out
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Eep.

Luckily I have an FX pedal which I can put headphones into so I can still practise.

Instead of getting it checked out I'll chuck it away, its a ****ty practise amp and I need a new one anyway.
Quote by to_the_grave
It's not neccesarily the amp though. It may be the wiring inside your bass. Have it checked.

Like the amp, the electricals are getting replaced as well, I'm planning on getting some SD QPs and making it passive. (Active EQ doesn't add much for me except light background buzz).
I got shocked twice in one practise at college - once just off the strings like you, once when I touched the guitarist. In my case it was caused by old, frayed cables and old amps.
Quote by to_the_grave
It's not neccesarily the amp though. It may be the wiring inside your bass. Have it checked.

Wrong 9 volts won't give you anything other than a tingle. If you don't know please don't post; you're not being helpful.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
No, your bass did not electrocute you. Electrocution is a portmanteau of "electric" and "execution". It means death by electric shock.
Squier VM Fretless Jazz
Warwick Rockbass Streamer 5
Ashdown MAG 300 210
Quote by Ivanator
No, your bass did not electrocute you. Electrocution is a portmanteau of "electric" and "execution". It means death by electric shock.

Shut up
Quote by Ivanator

is that necessary? no so be helpful or **** off
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by to_the_grave
There's really no need to be rude.
It is not being rude, you obviously don't know how serious this issue is.
If as you see it as being rude yet it saves someones life then so be it.
I don't want to be in the position of saying "I could have told you that" after someone is dead.
This is a serious subject; after all the years I've been in the bussines there have been some seriou/tragics; some that I've been involved in or seen all through lack of knowledge.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Page 1 of 2