A friend and I have been playing guitars for a bit over a year. Even though we don't do it very well, we really enjoy getting together and just playing around, me on my six string and him on a bass. However, I recently got a brand new 30 Watt amp, which needless to say is a pain in the ass to drag around town all the time.

We came up with the idea, that it would be great if we could simply hook up both guitars to his Bass amp at once. I know that it should be theoretically possible because I've seen amps with more than one input jack.

His amp of course only has one jack, but we were thinking that the same effect would be achieved with some sort of dual splitter or something. Since I have no technical knowledge in this area, I don't know what to look for - but any help would be appreciated.
itll sound reallllly bad. get stronger and lug your amp around.
Valveking CLIPS/Gear HERE
oh god no, dont do it! 2 guitars in one amp always sounds like junk, 1 guitar will always dominate the other. Plus, if you want to do it with a splitter (dont thing there are even any) thats an even worse idea!

30W amp a pain to carry around? common dude, it cant weigh more then 25 lbs, even if its a tube

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
Quote by silent666
If one is a bass you will ruin the guitar amp
Other wise just go to like the dollar store and buy one of these
http://www.yourcablestore.com/14-63mm-Stereo-Headphone-Splitter-1M2F_p_20-17.html
It won't sound that great though

do NOT use one of these for 2 guitars, these are for HEADPHONES

grow some muscles and carry around your 30W amp, or go play the flute

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
It's not that I can't carry my amp around. It's just that it's a bit tedious, it's nicer to just quickly pick up my guitar and run over to his house than start messing with all the cables and whatnot. Now I do have to ask, because you never know around here... When you guys say that it will sound bad... Is it the "tone freak" kind of bad, or a legitimate normal people bad?

I really appreciate the exercise advise by the way.
Last edited by Metall_pingwin at Feb 13, 2009,
it wont work very well at all. it will cut out randomly making the bass or guitar really loud, and go back and forth like that. just get an acoustic.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Really? I lugged my 42 lb Deluxe Reverb to a friends house for a jam. I was 14, I'm sure you can carry a 30 watt amp.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
Quote by SGPlayer08
You never know, he could be the next Ian Anderson.

You'd get a lol... If I knew who Ian Anderson was
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

man up
I own a Gibson SG Standard
And I am officialy recognized as an SG commando

Gibson 2009 SG Standard --> Peavey Classic 50 2x12

RIP Lester William Polsfuss aka Les Paul 1915-2009
RIP Stephen Ray Vaughan aka SRV 1954-1990
Quote by libertines4ever
or buy a roland micro cube

+6.02 x 10^23
And on the seventh day, I said "Go to your room!"

check out my jazz tab and ill gladly do a review of any of your stuff

I play the bass clarinet! How 'bout you? PM me!
Quote by CHOCOmoney
+6.02 x 10^23

1000 chemistry points to your sir

TS: i have to lug a 300w bass amp round. i have a car but it resembles a go kart and i still have to get it up stairs
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
man, this thread is full of hard asses. i wish i could be 15 again so i could be as cool as you guys.
maybe buy a very small amp to leave at his house, or maybe just invite him over, and he will bring his amp.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by CHOCOmoney
+6.02 x 10^23

Avogadro FTW.

Also, why not leave your amp at his house if you use it there that much.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
like everyone else said just man up and carry it, its not that bad carrying ****,

or just leave the amp at his house.................. hmmm...

i carry a thirty watt head, and a four by twelve to jam at my friends house and if im 16(which i just turned today.. so happy birthday to me lol) and can carry a 4/12 in one hand and the head in the other up and down stairs, i think you can handle a combo amp.........
Quote by eberg2
like everyone else said just man up and carry it, its not that bad carrying ****,

or just leave the amp at his house.................. hmmm...

i carry a thirty watt head, and a four by twelve to jam at my friends house and if im 16(which i just turned today.. so happy birthday to me lol) and can carry a 4/12 in one hand and the head in the other up and down stairs, i think you can handle a combo amp.........

I really doubt you can carry a 4x12 in one hand. But a 30 watt combo shouldn't be hard to carry at all. I used to carry my Classic 30 in one hand. And I can carry my TSL head in one hand. The 4x12 is too much for me though, although it doesn't have castors
Quote by Metall_pingwin
It's not that I can't carry my amp around. It's just that it's a bit tedious, it's nicer to just quickly pick up my guitar and run over to his house than start messing with all the cables and whatnot. Now I do have to ask, because you never know around here... When you guys say that it will sound bad... Is it the "tone freak" kind of bad, or a legitimate normal people bad?

no it really would sound bad. not tone freak bad cause im no tone freak. haha ive actually played with 2 people on one amp before and it was all buzz and muddy mess so just bring ur amp dude
Quote by littlephil
I really doubt you can carry a 4x12 in one hand. But a 30 watt combo shouldn't be hard to carry at all. I used to carry my Classic 30 in one hand. And I can carry my TSL head in one hand. The 4x12 is too much for me though, although it doesn't have castors

i cant like curl it or nothin lol, i mean its a struggle but its only 45ish pounds its not insanely heavy=/
Why don't you get him to come to your house...?
return 0;

Quote by jsync
And I've eaten at some of Australia's best pizzerias.

SOUNDCLOUD
. com / fancy-elle
Quote by Metall_pingwin

It's more of case of amp not being able to handle the signals, causing one to dominate the other, the impedance input getting ****ed up, resulting an a horrible tone and the two of them overloading the amp, which might in the worst case scenario will blow it up. So it's more a case of bad idea than bad sound.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009