hi ive done a fair share of reading the past few weeks about diode switches and would it be as easy as taking out the original diode soldering wires to the middle poles of a dpdt switch and then soldering a diode across the top and bottom poles? also which side is positive on a diode? the striped side or the other? like the attached photo?
also can anyone tell me how to pull this off with a rotary switch?
Attachments:
d switch-400.jpg
Last edited by guitar-godfrey at Feb 14, 2009,
Striped is negative. Also, what are you trying to achieve, switching between two diodes?
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
Quote by asfastasdark
Striped is negative. Also, what are you trying to achieve, switching between two diodes?

different tone?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
you don't need 2 poles. one of the diode connections can be common for all diodes. the other one goes to the switch.

rotary is just expanding on the same idea. the pole goes to the connection in the circuit and each throw connects to the diode you want to select in that position.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
wait, what? im a bit of a noob to this although ive been in electronics for a few years. so what you were saying is all the positives can share one pole aslong as the negs all have seperate poles? like the attached image? like what im trying to say is inside pole can have all positives soldered and then the outside has all the negs on seperate poles?
Attachments:
rot switch-400.jpg
Last edited by guitar-godfrey at Feb 13, 2009,
Rotary switch is wrong.

The common of the rotary goes to the cathode. All the diode's anodes go to the anode offboard. Cathode of the diode is obviously connected to the rotary.