What good studio monitors could i get?
KRK?
M-AUDIO?
JBL?
My budget is around $400-500 for a pair

thanks
If you can stretch your budget to around $700, the Yamaha HS80M's are awesome in that price range, and in my opinion, eclipse nearly any monitors I've heard up to that price point. Or you could go for the HS50M's, the 5inch version, though you lose a fair amount of bass response when you go from the 8's to the 5's. They still have a very nice, smooth sound though.

If the HS80M's are too much of a stretch, I'd recommend the KRK VXT6's, which will run you about $600 a pair.

I've tested a ton of monitors, head to head, over and over, so I have a pretty good pool of listening experience from which to draw.

Personally, I think monitors are one of the things you should not compromise on, so my true recommendation to you would be to set your sights on a much better set than you can afford at the moment, and then save until you can get them. In that scenario, I'd recommend the Event ASP8's. They blow anything I've ever heard out of the water without a doubt until you get up into the much, much higher price range of ADAM, Genelec, etc...

Hope I was helpful.
thanks man ur were lots of help. im just starting out recording and i don't know if i cant to get something quite so pricey yet.
what are your thoughts on KRK RP5's and and a sub later on?
The KRK monitors are good for the price. I would trust Matthias King's suggestions, but if they are out of your price range, then I would say the KRK's are a good way to go. Great for entry level monitoring.
There is poetry in despair.
The RP series is not bad at all, and they're up to the second generation now, which is an improvement. They're not awesome, but they are very usable.

As far as a sub, personally, I recommend against mixing with a sub involved because it gives you an unrealistic sense of what's going on in the bass frequencies. You're better off getting a good set of 8 inch monitors that represent the bass properly by themselves.

The risks you run into with typical 5 inch monitors is that you're missing some of the bass, and you conpensate for it in your mix, and then the bass ends up being exaggerated. The thing you run into with mixing with a sub is that the bass is over-represented while monitoring, so you compensate for that in your mix, and your mixes end up sounding thin.

So ultimately I'd shoot for a set of 8's. I'd check out the KRK RP8G2's. Right around $500 a pair.

BTW, what interface do you use? Keep that in mind when buying your monitors, because you'll need the right cables, and you don't want to skimp on them. If your interface has balanced outputs (hopefully it does) definitely go with balanced cables.

If you're not sure what those are, it's either an XLR cable, or a TRS 1/4inch, which looks basically like a stereo heaphone 1/4inch connector. The reason you want balanced in this situation is because they don't lose signal over the travel of cable anywhere near like unbalanced cables do, and they're generally less prone to noise.
^I'd agree on the sub, it's not a great idea IMO. I meant to comment on that in my post.
There is poetry in despair.
subs help a lot if you are doing music that is designed to utilize them (I wouldn't want to mix EDM without one) you do have to know how to set it up properly so it doesn't color the sound though.

and yeah KRK makes great stuff, I would stay away from JBL and M-Audio.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
If you can find a pair of Yorkville YSM-1's, they're pretty awesome for the price point. Mine were about $300 each... My mixes always translate well to other systems.

Sounds like Mattias knows his stuff. Welcome aboard!

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Thanks, I do my best, and I've been at it for a pretty long time now, so with time, experience, and of course, a lot of trial and error, comes some knowledge.

As for the Yorkvilles, I can't comment. I've never heard them firsthand, but if mixes translate, that's always a good sign.

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Last edited by axemanchris at Feb 14, 2009,
Just a home stereo amplifier... Sony, I think.

CT

This Fostex PM2 may be worth a look into. The previous version faired quite well against Event TR8XLs...

KRK RP6G2s and Mackie MR8s are also worthwhile.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101