Can you gig with a 5 watt amp? (Small gig) And does adding a cab to it make it louder???
Please reply!!!
i HIGHLY doubt a 5watter will be anywhere near loud enough lol.

and he asked if it will make it louder, not better.
if you mic it
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Technically, yes. What kind music will you be playing? How big is the venue? Just yourself or with a band? W/ or w/o a drummer? Does the venue have a PA system?
Last edited by tonedeafidiot at Feb 13, 2009,
Depends on various situations. Yes you could gig with a 5 what amp.
What type of gig are you talking about though..

The Gear I Use Most:
Gibson guitars, Les Paul, ES-335, SG and more.
Dunlop Crybaby | Dunlop Volume | Boss TU-2 | Ibanez TS-9 | Maxon AD-999
Planet Waves Custom Leads
Marshall JCM900 (model: 4100 + 4101)

TooJoo The Band
well, if a 15 watt can't do it, well a 5 watt is sure as hell waaayyy too quiet... try micing it through the PA system
ive done it..used a da5 running through a PA and it was great
-Jake Blackwood
Not trying to thread jack but could you gig with a Vypyr 30? Or would it be recommended to be bumped up to a 75
^the 75 is better.......
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by neverspoiled
Lol..
A gig where the audience is your mom and pet dog Louie

My dogs name is Louie!

I swear!

Oh, and mic it.
well my VJ can get over a drummer easy usually, unless its a Metal drummer then their about matched, just to give you some estimate on sound level.
bugera 333xl (for sale)
B-52 4x12 cab
Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Schecter c-1 FR prototype (for sale)
Squier strat

VOTE FOR MY BAND TO PLAY WARPED TOUR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

www.battleofthebands/darkestbeforedawn
you could play a stadium with a 5 watt amp. you just mic it.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Not unless it is miced, which if it is it will just make it.

But a plain 5 watt amp alone will only be good for your living room.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
i can't believe no one has asked this.

is your amp a tube or an SS amp?

a 5 watt SS amp and a 5 watt tube amp are worlds apart (and i mean it literally)
in terms of volume.
Quote by tmfiore
Not unless it is miced, which if it is it will just make it.

But a plain 5 watt amp alone will only be good for your living room.

it could easily overpower everyone in the band if it was mic'd. that's up to the person running the soundboard.

and a 5watt non-master volume tube amp is too loud for bedroom use if you want a decent amount of overdrive.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
A 5w tube amp can do small venues like coffee houses or whatever easy. The clean/dirty factor depends on the amp, some amps don't get any breakup even all the way up, and some do as soon as you hit 9'o'clock on the volume dial. And of course, for larger things, you can mic it up at the right level you want.

So yes, of course you can, but depending on where you want to play it may not be your best option. A lot of amateurs have gigs that aren't quite small enough for a little 5w tube amp and aren't quite big enough to have a whole PA system. So, it's entirely up to you.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
mic is the only way it's possible or if youre playing in like a 500 sq ft room. or if everybody is quiet as hell.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by daryle_goh
i can't believe no one has asked this.

is your amp a tube or an SS amp?

a 5 watt SS amp and a 5 watt tube amp are worlds apart (and i mean it literally)
in terms of volume.

I was just thinking that as I read the respsonses.
5 watts tube, maybe you'll be okay if you mic it and can live with some breakup. 5 watts solid state, it's gonna be a pretty huge stretch.
The Blackstar is exceptionally loud for a 5W amp. Seemed louder than the other 5W amps I tried out and it gets even louder if you stick a boost pedal or an EQ pedal (set flat with the level boosted) in the effects loop to boost the signal.

If you're looking to stay clean then you're probably out of luck without a mic, but on the drive channel and cranked you'd probably be able to do small venues (cafe, pubs, small/school halls) fine and anything bigger should probably have a PA and mic you up anyway.
Really yeah it can be mic'd and done. But I mean I wouldn't prefer it plus the tone isn't going to be great. And you better have a damn good PA.
Quote by Jaksar
The Blackstar is exceptionally loud for a 5W amp. Seemed louder than the other 5W amps I tried out and it gets even louder if you stick a boost pedal or an EQ pedal (set flat with the level boosted) in the effects loop to boost the signal.

If you're looking to stay clean then you're probably out of luck without a mic, but on the drive channel and cranked you'd probably be able to do small venues (cafe, pubs, small/school halls) fine and anything bigger should probably have a PA and mic you up anyway.

I don't know... even on the drive channel getting over a drummer hitting cymbals and the audience being able to hear you would be difficult. Hell I remember having a 150 watt solid state amp and couldn't get over the damn drummer before without getting really muddy. Now that I have high wattage tube amps I don't have that problem.
Heres what I'd do.

1) Get an EQ and boost your mids + level
2) Get Boost pedal of some sort
3) Get band together, crank amp, see if its okay.

No, I'm not saying PROFIT!