hi people im quite new to this site and been playing for a few year now, and the time has come for a new guitar budget of around £1200 bit more at a push...

any ideas?

looking for any do's donts just a push in the right direction
Quote by TheQuailman
What music do you play and what amp do you have?

play allsorts from things like guns n roses, phonics things like that ......

amp wise the hated marshal mg 100 which i got for xmas which does me file butwill be looking for a good tube amp in the future but for the time being the marshall is fine for now
ESP Eclipse...
Jackson Dinky... (more versatile than some like to think)
Parker Fly...
Ibanez Prestige Series...
dont really go along with the crowd if you no what i meen so open to all diff ideas so dont want to just go for gibson just for the sake of the name....
he told he plays guns n roses so you recommed schecter, jackson, and ibanez guitars. dude go fender or gibson. but i would go fender
You've got 1200 quid? Easy solution: 500 on amp, 700 on guitar. That's all you need to do right now.
will someone carry me across ten thousand miles under the silence
Well, you could try out a Gibson SG Standard. The quality control at Gibson is iffy, so don't buy those online if you want one. Same goes if you want an LP Studio, which might work for you.

In Europe, Framus is often best value for money, I figure the Camarillo is worth a look:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/framus_camarillo_custom_egitarre.htm
It's got a rather agressive sound, but is still versatile because the humbuckers sound very different and have a coil split function. Worth a try if you can find one.

Also, look at the Panthera Pro and Panthera Studio Pro:
http://www.musicstore.de/en_EN/GBP/Framus-Panthera-Pro-NTOF-Natural-Oil-Finish-Rockbag/art-GIT0011230-000
http://www.musicstore.de/en_EN/GBP/Framus-Panthera-Studio-Pro-NTOF-Natural-Oil-Finish-Rockbag/art-GIT0011234-000
Imo the pickup configuration and additional switching options are worth the latter one's higher price, but you'll have to decide that yourself. Shame you can't afford the Custom versions, those are prettier.
Anyway, these guitars aren't as agressive sounding as the Camarillo, but still have plenty of output. Great rock guitars.

I'd take a Framus over a Gibson any day because I think they are all around better guitars, but that also depends a lot on taste. You'll have to find out for yourself.

1200 quid could also get you a Vigier Excalibur. That's an excellent Strat-clone. Of course it differs sonically from the Gibsons and Framuses a lot, but it's of extremely high quality and therefore worth a look.

Quote by jetfuel495
Well, I'd suggest a high-end Schecter, but I think I've already helped persuaded at least 10 people on this site get one

But seriously, look into them. The C-1 Classics especially.

Seriously, Schecters are nice mid-level guitars, but for 1200 there are more interesting options.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Feb 13, 2009,
Quote by famous1234
he told he plays guns n roses so you recommed schecter, jackson, and ibanez guitars. dude go fender or gibson. but i would go fender

Fender? Slash played a Gibson himself. How would you get humbucker tones from a fender (unless you had a FatStrat)?

I recommend Schecter since I'm pretty sure that Slash's original Les Paul had Seymour Duncan pickups in it, as does the Schecter C-1 Classic. And it's relatively inexpensive, compared to those other overpriced hunks of wood.

And you'd have extra money left over for a new amp.
+1 on the vigiers quailman suggested (i haven't tried framus, so can't +1 those too).

if you don't want to blow the whole £1200 (say you want to save for a better amp in the future, or just want to save some money), then a second-hand patrick eggle from the mid-90s (basically PRS quality for around £500, even less depending on the model), gordon smith, Japanese copy (e.g. Tokai, Edwards, etc. though bear in mind not all their models are Japanese-made) would all be worth a look depending on the style of guitar you want.

if you do want to blow the £1200, that should be enough (or close to enough) to consider a custom-build from e.g. legra, feline, or similar small builders/custom shops.

Quote by jetfuel495
(a) Fender? Slash played a Gibson himself. How would you get humbucker tones from a fender (unless you had a FatStrat)?

(b) I recommend Schecter since I'm pretty sure that Slash's original Les Paul had Seymour Duncan pickups in it, as does the Schecter C-1 Classic. (c) And it's relatively inexpensive, compared to those other overpriced hunks of wood.

And you'd have extra money left over for a new amp.

(a) slash played a ghost-built copy most of the time, not a gibson.

(b) completely different models of seymour duncans. you've basically told him to buy a schecter because it has, er, pickups in it. o_O

(c) schecters are generally horrible value in the UK, if you ask me.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Feb 13, 2009,
Fret King...i like the Eclat but i think the Esprits might be up your street

http://www.fret-king.com/eclatbbs_spec.html
http://www.fret-king.com/esprit3_b.html
http://www.fret-king.com/esprit5_b.html

all their guitars are drop dead stunning.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Feb 16, 2009,
A fine Les Paul ( Gibson, ESP, ... ) and a JCM 800 Combo and you're done.